R1 vs. S1000RR - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

2015+ Yamaha R1 - R1M Versus The Competition Ask questions of Yamaha R1 Forum members about what the Yamaha YZF-R1 - R1M is like versus its competition. A great place for new motorcycle buyers to find out more about the Yamaha R1M.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

R1 vs. S1000RR

I'm shocked that since 2015 there are only 7 posts in this section and none are against the s1000rr?!

Ok, so here's the story. I love R1s and have owned a few but I'm not a fanboy and every time I get a new bike I do a full eval of it versus the competition. The R1 wasn't always the best, but I liked it the best.

I had a 2005 and felt it was neck and neck w/ the zx-10, and above the rest but I liked Yamaha's better than Kawasaki's back then. The 2009 I think felt fat, wasn't the best, but it looked great, had Yamaha reliability, and sounded MEAN. I think it was pretty stagnant until aroudn 2015.

It's time for a new bike so I'm doing the research all over again. It's either the R1 or the S1000rr. They both have been revamped for 2015 and I've read countless reviews, viewed countless youtube videos and reviews, etc. I've spent so much time researching this it's absolutely ridiculous. The Bimmer seems to almost always take #1 for street riding and the R1 seems to take #1 for track times.

I test rode the BMW and loved the shifting on it and the raw power. The brakes were great, too. It seems every dealer in the world will let you test drive the S1000RR and that makes it nice and easy. They seem very cocky about their bike and have a good reason to be. I didn't like how it rattled a little kind of like an old bike would and strongly disliked the instrumentation cluster.

Despite Yamaha's website searching w/ the filter of "try the Yamaha" every dealer laughed at me for asking if they did test rides and stated how they have been trying to get their name off that feature for years, or laughed at me for asking and how mileage would depreciate the bike despite the fact that Yamaha gives incentives. I get it, I started riding when you'd be laughed at for asking and you bought a bike and then found out how it ran. I know that BMW is pretty much the only one that does it but hey, we're not buying a pair of sneakers and I don't sh*t Tiffany Cufflinks so I was going to keep trying and I figured if they don't allow it, don't advertise it. I finally found one that let me test ride it. I absolutely loved it. I felt it was much more fun than the BMW, electronics were obviously light years ahead, love all the things that come out of the box w/ the Yamaha (lightweight rims, full electronics minus the datalogger and suspension, etc. I liked the BMWs shifter MUCH better and the fact that it could blip down is actually really handy. I can't believe Yamaha didn't add that yet. The BMW can't come near the Yamaha with the sound that it produces, or it's looks, SUCH a turn on!

The Yamaha felt slower, by a long shot. Put it this way, the BMW had 300 miles on it and hadn't been unlocked yet so I was limited to around 8500 rpms and it still felt faster. Yes I know the Yamaha consistently get's faster lap times and while I definitely am bringing it to the track I'm not a pro rider, even though the Yamaha gets better lap times we're looking at 10ths to half a second.

I'm still 100% shocked with how much less power the Yamaha puts out, but the part of me see's how much power is restored by the ECU flashes. It looks like the US Yamahas are putting down around 165 to the ground on average, and in Europe they seem to be much higher. US ECU flashes seem to get around 175+ , does this seem accurate? Overall the ECU and dec-cat exhausts seem to be around 180-183, does that seem right also? With those mods it's still behind the BMW in power but tolerable.

That being said I did put the $$ down on a R1m (I just think it looks SOO much nicer than the regular R1) and an picking it up next week but right now second guessing my decision. Do the numbers seem right? Has anybody else ridden both? I'm not looking for a link to a professional review, more like what unbiased people on here have seen. =]

Thanks!
APO2112 and migR1 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 10:20 PM
Chillin'

Garage
Yamaha reliability and parts are cheaper. You have the M so the side fairing will probably be about $1,500.

ECU flash and some mods and you'll be more than happy you bought the Yamaha.

I personally don't ever want to own regular inline 4 bike again.

I like bikes with character and sound.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by One2 View Post
Yamaha reliability and parts are cheaper. You have the M so the side fairing will probably be about $1,500.

That's a good point, I LOVE Yamaha reliability but I've seen quite a bit of reliability issues w/ the R1 (in particular it seems like the shifter is causing quite a few issues). I'm past the tranny recall so I don't consider that an issue. The BMW comes with a ridiculous warranty (3yrs / 36,000 miles) that the Yamaha can't touch. However, correctly me if you see differently, I see the BMW vs. Yamaha almost how I see European cars, great power and engineering, but need maintenance where the Japanese just turn the key and go. You can see that already by simple maintenance things the BMW needs that I've been reading. Valve adjustment for the BMW is 12k if I remember right and the Yamaha is 27k I think.

I also forgot to mention how the BMW handled good, but something about how the Yamaha feels just connected w/ me (I could care less how hard it rides, in fact I like that as I do a lot of hard turns when I'm not at that track and would rather have the stiffer ride). I think I made the right choice but all these dyno charts are pretty damn impressive.

I do think that you're right on the sound, the BMW sounds like crap to me and the Yamaha with the Austin Racing GP1r sounds AMAZING. Believe it or not I like the way it sounds with the Pipe Werx can as well but that's the only thing I like about that exhaust =]

Thanks!

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by One2 View Post

Is the reason for that big hp gains w/ the ECU the same as it was back in '09, the issues w/ emissions? the chart's I've been seeing seem to look that way with but haven't seen any confirmation.

Thanks!

post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 11:20 PM
Chillin'

Garage
Yeah. The bike is heavily restricted from the factory.

180+hp with the 15+ R1 is what people are getting. And if you can afford the R1M....I'm sure you can afford Graves cams when they become available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 11:42 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
Plenty of Youtube videos showing the new R1 pulling away from the BMW...
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 04:12 PM
Crossed Up

Both with the ECU 'unlocked' and exhaust, the BMW makes more power and is faster in a straight line. The power delivery of the R1 is much nicer though (more linear) and the BMW is a bit more difficult to ride fast on the track.
v01d likes this.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 04:54 PM
I know more than you.

I can't believe you had such a hard time getting a dealer to let you ride one. The R1M is off-limits for testing here, but plenty of dealers will let you take the standard R1.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:01 PM
I eat my R1

Yea not a chance of a test ride here in PA either; at least all the dealers I checked. They basically do laugh at you for trying haha

Now a Harley or another cruiser you're all set to test ride all day...

R1-013 Lucky 13th Squadron
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:17 PM
I eat my R1

I went from a 2015 S1000RR with DDC and auto blipper... I ended up getting an auto blipper for my R1 and an ECU flash/dyno tune and it transformed the bike. It feels fast as hell comparable to my BMW but that's seat of the pants since I never did any tuning on the BMW. However, if you like high speed and agile turns I'd recommend the R1. Once an exhaust is on it just sounds mean as hell and to me looks much better than the BMW. I do miss the cruise control and more comfortable cockpit but to me there isn't a comparison any more unless you're just looking for straight line raw power and comfort but I'd go with a ZX14 or H2 over the BMW if those were my only considerations.

With that being said the fuel range on the R1 is abysmal and whoever tried to outdo Ducati on poor fuel mileage should be drug out into the street and shot.
Khanks and emilson like this.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 08:35 AM
My R1 eats me.

i bought a 16 R1M and honestly wasn't impressed with it all. I added a PCV, BMC, Smogs, and an Austin and lets say it is a completely different bike. Thing is an animal now, and I havnt flashed the ecu yet. That being said i kind of wish i road the BMW, just so i could compare.

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 01:25 PM
2016 R1S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfz6r1 View Post
Yea not a chance of a test ride here in PA either; at least all the dealers I checked. They basically do laugh at you for trying haha

Now a Harley or another cruiser you're all set to test ride all day...
Martin Moto will. They have a really nice test route up in the twisty hills behind the dealership, too. That's where I fell in love.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smac1 View Post
Plenty of Youtube videos showing the new R1 pulling away from the BMW...
yes there is. but, there are also many of them the other way around. drag races and 1/4 mile times don't mean a whole lot. for one, if you changed the gearing on the r1 but left the bmw stock it would roll right on by the bmw with little effort.

when I was at the track with mine there was a guy on a HP4 and he never passed me until I let off the gas. and I weigh probably 80lbs more than he did. these bikes are matched very closely despite what they feel like or magazines report.

it's nice that the bmw comes uncorked. it's full 184hp without restrictions other than a stock exhaust. the R1@ 167. why yamaha restricts a bike so much is beyond me and it's annoying. and an autoblipper should have been standard.
I like my bike but lets be honest. it's still lagging behind the competition until you spend another few grand on upgrades. why it got such rave reviews last year is surprising. almost like yamaha spent a lot of money to these reviewers...

I have yet still to do any significant upgrading to mine. brake pads and little non performance bits are all i've done. I've yet to see anyone post dyno results that improve the bike without spending $150 per hp. it may sound like a deal but when you finally get it to put out another 20hp to match the bmw you've spent 3k. then dump another $700 for the autoblipper. it's just a waste of money for something I don't compete with. and for what, a bike that is already down to 11k in value. people still sell 3 year old bmw's for 14k

Last edited by yamaharandy; 07-31-2016 at 03:21 PM.
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Banned

well here, this should put to rest if a R1 all tuned can hang with a tuned s1000rr(skip to 8min)

Last edited by yamaharandy; 08-08-2016 at 02:07 PM.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 03:32 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
BMW ugly IMO, hands down to yamaha XD
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 03:34 PM
STFU and ride!!

i still have two yamahas and have ridden the 2015R1
but my HP4 smokes all of them.
at the track and in a straight

post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WEELFERRUM04 View Post
i still have two yamahas and have ridden the 2015R1
but my HP4 smokes all of them.
at the track and in a straight
I don't know what that R1 in the video above has done to it but it outruns Marcel Irnies built RR a few times on some of the straights. he's just more chicken in the wet than marcel.
bukwyld24 likes this.

Last edited by yamaharandy; 08-08-2016 at 04:54 PM.
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 07:40 PM

Trophies

Could those trophies get any smaller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	884034  
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 12:26 PM
I eat my R1

Interesting. Me and a buddy switched bikes. He has a stock RR and it felt strong up top but not any stronger than my R1M (flash & decatted). But under 10 grand, the bmw felt oh so slow-slow-slow.

He got off my R1M and was grinnin' and gigglin'. "That thing makes more sounds than a funny car". Yea, come to think of it, it does! And I love it. It's got character fir sure. I'd be very quickly bored with any inline 4 anymore.

'15 R1M
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevens View Post
Interesting. Me and a buddy switched bikes. He has a stock RR and it felt strong up top but not any stronger than my R1M (flash & decatted). But under 10 grand, the bmw felt oh so slow-slow-slow.

He got off my R1M and was grinnin' and gigglin'. "That thing makes more sounds than a funny car". Yea, come to think of it, it does! And I love it. It's got character fir sure. I'd be very quickly bored with any inline 4 anymore.
same here. I fell in love with the R1 sound when they came out in 09. but it just wasn't in the cards for me to buy one. then I just didn't care for the looks too much. but anyway, I feel the same as you. when I hear normal inline 4's anywhere I go I'm like ehh, it doesn't do it for me anymore.
elevens likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode