Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

STM clutch

4K views 62 replies 11 participants last post by  LION R1 
#1 ·
:dunno Hey guys I have a problem with my 2004 R1 that appeared the last 3 days and I am lost. I have recently installed on my baby a slipper clutch by STM, and since then the gears became stiffer. The problem though is that when I rev the bike and I up-shift quickly sometimes the gears seem to jam and the clutch lever is half empty when I pull it back to change gears again. Thus I have to stop the bike and try to find neutral to have the gears back in place! Any help pls is more than welcome...

#30 ·
blur1 said:
:jump hooray after 1 hour and 3 trys finally:blush btw its my stm for my 98-99! and i think i count 6 balls not 5?:dunno
Blur.. This is just how my luck is lately.. On mine it wont show the whole install page.. It stops about halfway down on the image.. How old is your slipper ? The book I do have for this shows they are the same one from 98-03
Could you by chance email me what you scanned ?

Azsportbiker@aol.com

Thanks so much for your time !!

#32 ·
Thanks man.. This is really frustrating.. There are the of the big balls, and for some reason I have 53 yes thats right 53 small bearings.. I have no freakin clue where they go.. I got the image, and I really, really, appriciate it.. I think I might just install it as it is, and see if it works.. Everything looks the same as your diagram. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again,

Brian

#33 ·
Azsportbiker said:
Thanks man.. This is really frustrating.. There are(INSERT NUMBER BRIAN) the of the big balls, and for some reason I have 53 yes thats right 53 small bearings.. I have no freakin clue where they go.. I got the image, and I really, really, appriciate it.. I think I might just install it as it is, and see if it works.. Everything looks the same as your diagram. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again,

Brian
LOOK ABOVE AT YOUR QUOTE!:dunno

#34 ·
blur1 said:
LOOK ABOVE AT YOUR QUOTE!:dunno
Ha ha !! I just found out my number six is not working on the keyboard !! Your directions came through, and thats just how I am going to install it. Maybe the guy i got it from decided to put these in with it just to screw with me ! I seriously cant find where they go. Im going to get a new clutch pack, and a diaghram spring tommorow, and give it a shot.

Once again, thanks for the effort on helping me with this..

HAPPY NEW YEAR ! :beer

#35 ·
Azsportbiker said:
Ha ha !! I just found out my number six is not working on the keyboard !! Your directions came through, and thats just how I am going to install it. Maybe the guy i got it from decided to put these in with it just to screw with me ! I seriously cant find where they go. Im going to get a new clutch pack, and a diaghram spring tommorow, and give it a shot.

Once again, thanks for the effort on helping me with this..

HAPPY NEW YEAR ! :beer
no probs!:thumbup and yeah i dont remember 53 small balls either. i also ditched the 1st thin fibre plate and got another wide one like the rest and also you dont use the piano wire again either.

#37 ·
Vahakn, Thanks for the info as well.. Any idea where those stupid little ball bearings go ( as I said earlier there was 53 of them ) I am still putting it together as the instructions say..

Thanks again everyone.. HAPPY NEW YEAR

#38 ·
Azsportbiker said:
Vahakn, Thanks for the info as well.. Any idea where those stupid little ball bearings go ( as I said earlier there was 53 of them ) I am still putting it together as the instructions say..

Thanks again everyone.. HAPPY NEW YEAR
you dont use those 53 bearings:fact just the 6 at the bottom of the ramps, i dont know what the hell those 53 were given to you for?:thumbup you got pics of the rest of your clutch pieces? maybe you got a different model or something wierd is all i can think of?:hellobye

#39 ·
Yea.. Im kinda lost on that too.. All the parts are the same as in the diagram you scanned. I emailed the guy, and he said he would call me on Tuesday. Im guessing from the sound of it, he used them. If our resident dealer ( Mr V ) doesn't know anything about them, I am doubting that they are required. I have the box, and the little book with all the different STM products. The guy did say he was going to have his LP rep drop ship me a set of directions if possible as well. I thought I had a line on a set of frictions, and a diaphram spring, but I am going to have to wait a week for them to come in. I guess I will see what the guys says, and I will post my findings.. It's a simple install with just the six balls.. Now adding the other 53 sure mixes it up a bit !
:dunno

#40 ·
Azsportbiker said:
Yea.. Im kinda lost on that too.. All the parts are the same as in the diagram you scanned. I emailed the guy, and he said he would call me on Tuesday. Im guessing from the sound of it, he used them. If our resident dealer ( Mr V ) doesn't know anything about them, I am doubting that they are required. I have the box, and the little book with all the different STM products. The guy did say he was going to have his LP rep drop ship me a set of directions if possible as well. I thought I had a line on a set of frictions, and a diaphram spring, but I am going to have to wait a week for them to come in. I guess I will see what the guys says, and I will post my findings.. It's a simple install with just the six balls.. Now adding the other 53 sure mixes it up a bit !
:dunno
there should not be other 53 of them. if you can take a pic of the items layed out on a table, it would make things a lot easier. there should only ne 6 of them that are placed in the grooves i outlined. i would very much like to see those 53 bearings you told us about.

#42 · (Edited)
Here we go boys and girls.. I was told where the previous owner had the little bearings.. see attached, and once again thanks to everyone for their ideas, and let me know if you think these need to be here as well. The slipper was purchased from LP about 6 months ago. COD 003 YAM 001 is on the box..

Attachments

#43 ·
All together..

Attachments

#44 ·
Vahakn said:
Here is a detailed parts list for your slipperclutch. you can clearly see that there are no bearings other than the 6 steel balls. please check all part numbers on the items to this picture and let me know what's missing. i hope this helps.
Thanks again for scanning that.. So whats your oppinion on these bearings ?

The Saga Continues....:bow

#46 ·
blur1 said:
dosent look like my clutch:dunno something is fishy here, post the other pieces up, is there a red piece in there?
Here is the whole assy.. I do have the spring sopper washer put together in the picture, and the 2 parts of the hub together with the big balls on the ramp. From what I see, everything is the same on the diagram just posted, it just does not show the bearings in that assy with the clip and all..

Attachments

#47 · (Edited)
Complete minus spring compression tool..

Attachments

#49 ·
blur1 said:
:thumbup yep thats the same, did you find out why the 53 small steel balls were included?:dunno
See my picture from 5:10 pm yesterday.. It shows the bearings in place where he told me to install them.. They are in the spring stopper

#51 ·
Vahakn said:
that's great. make sure you have the special pressure plate mounting tool with code number 002AMY001(it's not included in the kit). without that, the slipperclutch will never be installed.
i did mine without it.:thumbup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.