Does an exhaust leak affect dyno tune? - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Mechanical / Help This area to for help in the areas of, engine, carbs, transmission, suspension, mounting etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
S.O.A.R.

Does an exhaust leak affect dyno tune?

I just bought a Termi Y-pipe that claimed to mate up to any slip on that utilizes the factory y-pipe. The left side outlet is several mm too small in overall diameter and fits loosely into my slip-on, which is a D&D. I caked high heat gasket maker inside my slip-on, and it helped but, some of the seal blew out and there is still a slight leak around the pipe. I am planning on having my bike tuned in the next week or so and my question is this, will my bike suffer during the tune from having a slight exhaust leak? By slight, Iíd say itís like a pinhole, you canít really feel it until the bike revs, then you can feel exhaust blowing through the seams. Any input would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Obama in the Whitehouse? ??

Re: Does an exhaust leak affect dyno tune?

Quote:
Originally posted by knee_draggerR1
I just bought a Termi Y-pipe that claimed to mate up to any slip on that utilizes the factory y-pipe. The left side outlet is several mm too small in overall diameter and fits loosely into my slip-on, which is a D&D. I caked high heat gasket maker inside my slip-on, and it helped but, some of the seal blew out and there is still a slight leak around the pipe. I am planning on having my bike tuned in the next week or so and my question is this, will my bike suffer during the tune from having a slight exhaust leak? By slight, Iíd say itís like a pinhole, you canít really feel it until the bike revs, then you can feel exhaust blowing through the seams. Any input would be appreciated
I would have to say "Yeah" it could effect it. I would wait till you find a work around the leak to get it dyno tuned. It costs too much to do to take a chance.

Also, the blow-by will start to discolor the pipe and anything near it in short order. You may not want to take the chance on that either?

Good Luck mang!

BSR
'01 929RR(Black/Yellow)(Sold)
'02 FZ1 (Race Blue)(Sold)
'03 R1 (black/flames) (Sold)
'05 R1 (no color specified)(Sold)
'02 Silver ///AMG(Sold)
'08 Prius (Black)
'07 R1 (Red)
Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings, they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

RINN: "I felt something move... you know down there.." clicky
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 05:39 PM
The Patient

Send a message via Yahoo to 1hander
yes because the leak causes turbulence and isrupts the exhaust stream bla bla bla, but how much i dont know
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 06:06 PM
-NYC R1-

is sure does!!

2001 R1 DRAG BIKE: 12" over Mcintosh swingarm, lowered, 30 shot NOS, lots of chrome, JE 13:1, Graves cams, Orient Express head work, and many custom mods!!!!!!

2006 R1: lots of R1 blue painted parts, lots of titanium, 164 rhp, and many attention getting mods!!

2001 R1: flushmounts, ARROW full exhaust, wheel stripes, K&N with IVAN'S needles and airbox mod, speedo-healer, 520 conversion, and galfer pads. all set up for my lady to ride!!

2012 Raven Full Custom Built by Enigma Kustoms!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 06:20 PM
My Twins took all my money

Yep, it'll hurt you. You won' t have the back pressure. The exhaust is like a wind instrument. It's tuned to get you a paticular performance that you would want. By having a leak, is like pushing a valve, which changes notes/tune. Now the numbers you were looking for won't be there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode