Bike cuts off while riding - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Mechanical / Help This area to for help in the areas of, engine, carbs, transmission, suspension, mounting etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Speed is life, or is it death?

Bike cuts off while riding

I was riding my bike recently and for some reason it cut off by itself while i was wide open on the throttle. although this doesn't work all the time, what i would do is hold the clutch for 3-5 seconds and let it go and wait for the engine to catch up turn back on. now, its done this before last year, but that was maybe 2-3 times during the whole 2007. fast forward to today and its cutting off 4 maybe 6 times a day.

it doesn't happen soon as i start riding, this usually happens 15-20mins into riding. now i have noticed that the bike has been running hot, coasting around 180-190 and sometimes in the low 200's. i can understand if i was sitting still for a long time in traffic with allot of stop and go, but just normal city/highway riding while its 50-60F it shouldn't get this hot i think. BTW its a '02 R1 with 34K miles.

If anyone has had this problem or no someone that had this problem, get back to me and help a fellow R1 rider out

If your knees aren't dragging, then your ass ain't really turning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 10:34 AM
MMM Meaty!

Wow, sounds like you are having fun!

Sounds like maybe one of the little black boxes or switches slowly going bad. Like the side stand switch or the tip over box. Thinking along the lines that the faster you go the more the side stand jumps around and activates the switch, turning off the motor. But any of those little boxes could be the issue.

As for the temp deal. I know my bike has always run warm, it can be in the 180-200 range just driving in normal traffic, not stop and go. I had asked a few people I know with the same bike about it and they say the same thing. They run at 160 at speed during the winter and 210 or so in the slowest speeds during the summer. Hotter to the fan cutting in too.

Not saying yours is running right but if you go over everything and don't find anything wrong it just may be of some comfort to know where they normally run.

To the "State of California" -You can have my "Akrapovic" when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!

|R1-014 Dragon Squadron| The Ouija Board asks me questions!

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

sounds good, think i'll try to reposition everything under my seat. this is just really getting annoying and just yesterday it cut off in the middle of a 2nd gear wheelie @ 80mph. so until i get this taken care of, think i'll cool out on the wheelies for awhile. i think i seen a posting on here or another place of someone saying the TPS sensor, but the person that was having that problem said it occurred when they were at a light or just idle. guess mines might be different since i had the throttle wide open. i dont know, just ready to try anything right now.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

i unplug/plugged back in the connectors under my seat and made sure everything was secure, but it still cuts off. doesn't do it as much, but then again i haven't rode for long periods of time. i just made an appointment with the shop today and i'll take it in monday or tuesday. just trying to catch a break in the weather. been a rainy week off/on lately in philly.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Try adjusting the EXUP cable.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

yeah im going to try the EXUP cable now. i wired the kickstand switch together and it still does it.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

looks like it was my Power Commander, the back of it was melting and im guessing that came from when i had the hotbodies exhaust in there and it was getting hot under my seat. i unplugged it and took it for a spin on some of the bumpiest roads i could find. didn't cut off once **knocks on wood** guess i'll have to start looking for another 1, but to be honest, it feels like its pulling just a little harder then it was with the PC. i dont know, for now im glad thats taken care of and now i can go back to enjoying the ride.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode