Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Main fuse and this??

7K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Schmeck 
#1 ·
So every time I start my 01 R1 it fires and then dies only once on a fully charged battery. From then on the relay clicks. Starter relay, starter, and battery have all been replaced. All fuses check out except for the main 50 fuse which I haven't bought yet. Will the main fuse cause this problem or will the bike be completely dead. Also I'm attaching a picture of a bigger black box that I have no idea what it is but it clicks too . Not sure if that's normal

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You might want to check your main switch(key). Mine went bad about the 10 year mark but it depends on use. Your main switch has two circuits on it. One for main power and the other runs through your starting circuit cut off relay to the CDI unit. Pull your left fake carbon piece(under left clip on) and unplug your main switch plug. Measure the resistance between your red and brown wires and then your blue/black and blue/yellow wires with the key on. Turn the key off and then back on and measure again. Do this check several times. If the switch is good, you should have less than one Ohm for each reading. May or may not be your problem but I'd check it to rule it out.

Mark

#4 ·
Okay so I got around to measuring the resistance and here is what I have .
The red to brown wire connector on the switch side with power on is reading .6-1.2ohms (it doesn't stop moving ) and my blue/black to blue/yellow wires with power on read .4-.6 ohms only moves if you sit there for a few minutes lol . What exactly do these tell me

#9 ·
Yeah I checked it many times. Upon inspecting my harness though I noticed the Rectifier plug had 3 wires burnt inside the connection. After researching this apparently a common problem for 98-01 R1s' . I have a new
One on the way and will fix the plug but regardless I didn't think the rectifier had anything to do with the starting circuit ? My battery fully charged will crank the bike over quickly once but then it will just click every time I hit the button. Battery is on the charger again but before I put it on the charger it read 12.48 D.C. Volts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.