Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Abs for track?

4K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  love r1's 
#1 ·
So is it best to disable abs for track riding?

#5 ·
I haven't found the abs intrusive at all on track really even though when I come in off track the rear disc is & though I don't touch the rear brake. In comparison my lap times around say Cadwell park are 1:37 which would put me on the grid for the bsb super stock 1000 race.
I don't think it is really an issue for us mere mortals.
Lee

#13 ·
"Love R1s" - the Vesrah RJL-XX pads have worked out great for me so far. The stock pads are in the toolbox as backup - just in case.

#15 ·
yeah man, gotta work on those abs.. never know when core strength will help get you on the podium xD

sometimes when im on the brakes hard, i feel the lever pushing back against my finger slightly, its weird.. is that the abs kicking in? its not a pulsing, it just feels like the front brake lever is coming back out a bit. its very strange. no big deal either way, just cant tell.

i never touch the rear brake. didnt you guys know this bike has linked braking? wait a while and check your rear pads, i suppose itll be worn down too.. since the bike is applying the rear stopper for ya also. yay?

#17 ·
The only thing I can add about track ABS was that under max braking at the end of a 240km/hr straight it felt to me that sometimes I would be hard braking and although the bike was stopping well if I went for more pressure at the lever it wouldnt change the brake effort. I guess I'm more use to that last little bit of pressure in a tight situation to give you a little extra bite but I wasnt getting that when I asked for it. I talked to another R1 guy and he said thats what he described it as aswell. Like the system gave you X amount of braking and thats it.

I played with the rear ABS on the street and can get the system to cycle very easily just by pressing the rear lever hard. The first time it felt like I broke something like the brake lever felt like a shifter. Now I do it cause I think its cool sometimes. Just roll up to a stop sign at 20 mph and lay on the rear. I think I hear a click or feel a click from under the seat from the ABS stuff.

#20 · (Edited)
Finally had my first track day in this beast and I actually like the UBS. Not even close to fast, my best on this bike at acs was a 1:40.8 , the rear brake which I never use made it feel stable. But the suspension felt great also and I never touched it, didn't even set the sag. I almost lost the front and didn't feel the ABS kick in, and I had slicks with warmers so there was plenty of grip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.