2016 battery draining - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Yamaha R1 + R1M Tech & Performance Chat Discuss the technical aspects and performance of the Yamaha R1 / R1M and modifications.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By G-Reese8701
  • 1 Post By yamaharandy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

2016 battery draining

So finally got my exhaust in and went to fire it up and nothing not even dash lights. Here's a little background. I bought the bike March 19th. The following day I pulled the ecu and sent it to sbu. While waiting for the ecu I did all the other mods except the exhaust as I was waiting for it to come in. When the ecu came back I turned the key on just to make sure everything turned on and all the connections were good and the dash lit up. Up the exhaust on today and dead battery 2.5volt. I took the batter to advanced auto to try and charge and it didn't charge all the way as they said their connection wasn't that great and they didn't know how charged it was. Brought home and off the bike it read 4.5v. Put on the bike and it started at 3.8v and dropped to 3.6v slowly just holding the leads on it. I want to see how much it drops overnight to see if it does have some sort of parasitic draw. Mind you the bike only has .6 miles on it so not even 1 mile and this happens. The following are my mods:
Block off plates
Filter
Two bros exhaust
Ecu up removed
Blaster x tail light
Ecu flash from sbu
As you can see the only two mods that effect electrical would be the flash and tail light. Now the tail light uses the stock plugs so can't be that. Has anyone had this problem after an ecu flash. I know the 15s had a recall for this but they should have had it fixed for the 16s. Just don't know what else it could be. Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Well after reading a bit and looking at the manual I just realized that there is a "park" position in the locked key position. I was turning it all the way to that...tell me I don't feel dumb lol didn't realize this bike had that my 08 didn't....I should know better because my 05 gsxr had the same function it was just a bigger turn of the key and yo u really felt it click where as this bike it's such a small turn and you barely feel it click

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 05:54 PM
I eat my R1

please tell us youre not leaving the bike in the PARK position. Thats known to kill the battery...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 05:55 PM
I eat my R1

ahh beat me by one min
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly999 View Post
please tell us youre not leaving the bike in the PARK position. Thats known to kill the battery...

Haha unfortunately that's exactly what I did lol...trust me I feel real dumb right now and should know better.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Quote:

At least it makes me feel better knowing there isn't anything wrong with it
emilson likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 09:19 PM
I eat my R1

Don't feel bad it's a pretty easy thing to do and IMO a poor design to kill your battery without the lights even being on. Just know that a lead acid battery gets damaged when it's killed completely. It may still work for u after a charge but it will prob not have the life it would have had. Just so u know if a year from now your battery doesn't have much juice
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 10:11 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Don't feel bad it's a pretty easy thing to do and IMO a poor design to kill your battery without the lights even being on. Just know that a lead acid battery gets damaged when it's killed completely. It may still work for u after a charge but it will prob not have the life it would have had. Just so u know if a year from now your battery doesn't have much juice

Correct. Replace the battery. Most likely its below %50 health. Your dealer can test it for Health. Charge % means nothing at this point, Health % is what you need to know. The battery is a common issue on this bike. Keep it on a charger if you don't ride often. Also starting the bike and letting it run for 10 minutes doesn't count as fully charging the batt. When yer friends come over and you start the bike 5 times to let them hear it, then you let it sit for a few weeks, say goodnight to yer batt, its toast... They are trying to save weight by pushing the limit. Hence battery issues for normal owners. Same thing goes for a lot of the engineering on these bikes. It use to be you could buy a Jap bike and it was affordable. These Jap bikes are getting just as bad as owning a Ducati. Ive worked on them all. Trust me its about to get really really expensive to own an R1. Lets hope the the R1 doesn't leak as much oil as the Ducati or Triumph in the long run ...just foolin, I doubt any bike can leak as much as a Ducati HAHAHA
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Haha thanks for the input guys. Gonna take it to the dealer today and see how the battery checks out and possibly charge it...even if it lasts a year or two it would be better then buying a new battery when it hasn't even been ridden yet.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 05:35 PM
I'm the happy go lucky mod!

Garage
Oh gosh... not this again. We had plenty of people do the same thing with the 15.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sig pic courtesy of THE GODFATHER!

Greenstreak quote from Barber... "Woah... I have a log in my ass!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
TEAM: SO SCARED NO LEAN

Godspeed to my fallen brothers - elviswarrior, Gawarrior, Vman1300

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 11:11 PM
I just ride the damn thing.

Well this is a timely thread... :facepalm

I came out to mine last week and found it totally dead. Put it on a charger and its been ok, but the battery definitely doesn't crank it over quite as fast now. I'm sure I'll be replacing it soon.

Do you guys have opinions on what brand batteries to put in? I've only had to buy 1 battery for my past 4 motorcycles, and I went with an Interstate just because it had a 1 year warranty. (which of course is not a likely time frame for it to fail, but hell i've managed it once already...)

Are Lithiums an option for these?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:00 AM
My R1 eats me.

when u guys say "park" position, do u mean the position in which the handlebars lock ? if so add me to the dumbass list haha
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:27 AM
My R1 eats me.

either way I'm calling the dealership tomorrow and having them replace it. theres no way a battery should go completely dead in 3 weeks.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:42 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjlo4lifep View Post
when u guys say "park" position, do u mean the position in which the handlebars lock ? if so add me to the dumbass list haha
it's past that point. I believe it's so the hazard lights function. it drains the battery.
Bjlo4lifep likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:28 PM
Unacceptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flammders View Post
Are Lithiums an option for these?
Yes.

Speedcell
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:30 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooli View Post
yeah if you want to have to cut up the battery tray to make it fit. at least that's what I've seen guys having to do to the R1. (picture posted on this forum)

just get a shorai. and use their balance charger every few weeks. it's highly important to balance charge a lithium. this a must to using a lithium battery.

Last edited by yamaharandy; 03-19-2017 at 05:37 PM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:04 PM
Unacceptable

I have no qualms about modding a piece of plastic in order to fit a nice aftermarket battery. It's hidden beneath the seat...not like anyone is going to see it lol.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:15 AM
R1 Rider & Coach

Garage
Ballistic for me! I support the guys at Millennium here in Wisconsin. I have them in every bike I have plus a fully charged spare for race day. Use the Advanced charger once in awhile and everything is good.

My R1 likes to drain the battery down if left un-tended (is that a word?) for a couple weeks. Don't have a key switch or any street equipment so it probably isn't a "park" setting thing. Even my Zuma will drain the battery down eventually. I put leads on them all and plug them in every so often. No worries and no issues. Some of these Ballistic batteries have been in service going on 4 seasons. If they are kept balance charged, they last a long time.

Clayton Potter
STT Staff Instructor
MV Agusta F3
Aprilia RSV4 Factory
Yamaha R1 - Woodcraft, STG, Arai, Apex, Sidi, FT, Yoyodyne, MotoUnion
CCS #19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode