Activetune wideband + Hindle questions - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Yamaha R1 + R1M Tech & Performance Chat Discuss the technical aspects and performance of the Yamaha R1 / R1M and modifications.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ajtallin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
z00
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Activetune wideband + Hindle questions

On 16 R1 with FT bench kit. I'm new to this and have below questions:

1- What's best way to route Activetune o2 wideband sensor cable? With hindle 3/4 it seems to be in a vulnerable place, close to swingarm and exposed. Does anyone have pics on ideal place to route/install wideband sensor? It needs to connect to O2 plug on left side (clutch side). How to route it so cable does not melt from mid pipe and out of harms way in case of a crash?
@ajtallin , @K-n-D I could use some of your AT installation pics.

2- What settings should be used in FT software? I'm installing graves smog block off plates as well. So

Live tune on
AIS off
Exup off
O2 off or on? It sucks AT has zero documentation.
Disable_INJ_decel_cut false

What other settings to enable/disable?

3- Would both of OEM o2 sensors be disconnected? In other words, only AT wideband sensor is connected.

Last edited by z00; 06-18-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:21 PM
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
On 16 R1 with FT bench kit. I'm new to this and have below questions:

1- What's best way to route Activetune o2 wideband sensor cable? With hindle 3/4 it seems to be in a vulnerable place, close to swingarm and exposed. Does anyone have pics on ideal place to route/install wideband sensor? It needs to connect to O2 plug on left side (clutch side). How to route it so cable does not melt from mid pipe and out of harms way in case of a crash?
@ajtallin , @K-n-D I could use some of your AT installation pics.
So if you look at the pic, I ran the o2 sensor wire along the brake light wire (zip tied it to it as seen in the pic). I then ran it through the opening above the rear shock keeping it to the right side. At the top of the pic, you can see where the braided brack lines run under the fuel tank. There is a plastic OEM clamp around the those brake lines that I ran the o2 sensor through. I then ran the o2 sensor through the foam blocking the opening from under the fuel tank to under the seat. Under the seat, I then ran the o2 wire to the left side of the bike through the opening back under the tank to the rubber boot where the OEM o2 sensor plug is. Hope that makes sense. If you want more pics, I can def take some.

Quote:
2- What settings should be used in FT software? I'm installing graves smog block off plates as well. So

Live tune on
AIS off
Exup off
O2 off or on? It sucks AT has zero documentation.
Disable_INJ_decel_cut false

What other settings to enable/disable?
I used the Unrestricted image and left all the settings under "ECU Mapping" to the default settings. Under the "ECU Settings" I have the following settings:

- REV Limiters => default
- Fan Temps => default
- YCCI Variable Stacks => default
- Disable Closed Loop => TRUE
- Disable Air Intake Valve => TRUE
- Disable Top Speed Limiter => TRUE
- Disable_INJ_decel_cut => TRUE
- Disable AIS Valve => TRUE
- Disable Steering Damper => TRUE
- EXUP Valve => DISABLE
- Disable Accel Retard Control => TRUE
- US Harness Config => FALSE
- Dyno Mode (Wheelspeed OFF) => FALSE

PLS NOTE: I am in Canada so I use the EU Unrestricted file. If you are in the US, the settings available to you may be different and again, these are just the settings I used and have worked for me and my bike setup

Also, you are not turning the o2 sensors off (I honestly don't know where you would do that anyway) because you will be using the left side o2 sensor for the AT o2 sensor and just leave the one under the fuel tank disconnected.

Quote:
3- Would both of OEM o2 sensors be disconnected? In other words, only AT wideband sensor is connected.
Yes, disconnect both OEM o2 sensors and block them off (like it looks like you already did in your pic). Only the AT wideband sensor will be used and connected to your exhaust.

AJ
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:25 PM
My R1 eats me.

Sorry, here's the pic...I had to resize it for it to upload lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170618_234455_resized.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	940049  

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
z00
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajtallin View Post

Yes, disconnect both OEM o2 sensors and block them off (like it looks like you already did in your pic). Only the AT wideband sensor will be used and connected to your exhaust.

AJ
I really appreciate the help AJ!

1- For OEM o2 sensor on right (brake side). I lifted the tank, disconnected it. How did you get it out of the bike? The plastic plugs are too big to go through back of engine. From what I understood both OEM o2 sensors will be unplugged/removed.

2- I disconnected servo motor. What did you do with cables? Remove them completely? It looks like I need to remove the battery and other parts under the seat to get access to them.

3- Did you use a servobuddy or kept servomotor (plug part, not cables) connected so no error is thrown? Or you went a different route? I'm not racing, but it will be a dedicated track bike, not sure if a servobuddy will be worth it.

4- I have FT bench kit, what settings did you use for activeTune? Live tune, or did you use bike side kit and base image?

5- Any other FT settings to properly set up auto blipper and activeTune?

Thanks,
Z
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:04 AM
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
1- For OEM o2 sensor on right (brake side). I lifted the tank, disconnected it. How did you get it out of the bike? The plastic plugs are too big to go through back of engine. From what I understood both OEM o2 sensors will be unplugged/removed.
Yes, both OEM o2 sensors will be removed. Watch the following video,
. Its an exhaust install but will should you how you can remove the sensor if you watch at 9:30 and 17:20 of the video.

Quote:
2- I disconnected servo motor. What did you do with cables? Remove them completely? It looks like I need to remove the battery and other parts under the seat to get access to them.
I removed the cables and servo motor completely. Watch the following vid on how to do that,

Quote:
3- Did you use a servobuddy or kept servomotor (plug part, not cables) connected so no error is thrown? Or you went a different route? I'm not racing, but it will be a dedicated track bike, not sure if a servobuddy will be worth it.
When you set the "EXUP Valve" value in the FTecu software/flash to "DISABLE", you can remove the servomotor and no error will be thrown. No need to buy/install a servobuddy or similar.

Quote:
4- I have FT bench kit, what settings did you use for activeTune? Live tune, or did you use bike side kit and base image?
The first few times I ran the bike after installing the Active Tune, I ran it with the "Live Correction Mode" DISABLED so that I could save the changes the Active Tune would have applied and then flashed it to the ECU to be used as my base tune. After doing that a few times to make sure I was getting a decent base tune, I then re-flashed the ECU with the "Live Correction Mode" ENABLED and that's how I've been running it ever since. In theory, you could just run "Live Correction Mode" ENABLED right off the bat and it will Live tune the Unrestricted map. Your call what you wanna do.

Quote:
5- Any other FT settings to properly set up auto blipper and activeTune?
Except for what I have described above, I have not changed any other of the default settings for the Active Tune or the Auto Blipper. All the "tuning" I had to do for the Auto Blipper were hardware/mechanical/install related to get it to work nicely Right now, the bike is running great on the street and will hitting the track a few times in the next couple weeks. Based on how it feels after those sessions, I may adjust the settings here or there BUT I honestly don't feel that I'll need to change much cause I feel its running pretty sweet right now. I will be changing my air filter in the next few weeks also, so we'll see if that affects anything

AJ
bbsteinnewyork likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode