2015 R1 - Dave Moss Suspension Study - Page 2 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Yamaha R1 - R1M Suspension Setup, Tires, and Wheels Discuss the Yamaha R1M suspension setups you like most, what tires you are running and other related components.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by castrolr1 View Post
I'm curious about this too
We will not get an explanation here. Maybe someone closer could shoot Dave an e-mail and ask for clarification?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivmin View Post
That's actually the physical stop.
Ugh that explains the issues under braking. I was afraid that was bottoming out. Thanks for the info. I'll be working on this next track day
post #23 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:15 AM
I eat my R1

Hmmm.....the service-manual describes the fork height - page 4-88.

Manual says 2 lines has to be visiable on the fork tube, but my bike was delivered with only 1 line visiable.
So it might be too high set from the factory.

R1 2015 on track, Aprilia Shiver on road.

post #24 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Id love a copy of that manual
I think mine is one line showing. Can't remember for certain though.
post #25 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 09:47 PM
My R1 eats you.

Hmmm. Mine was set at 2 lines. Tire pressures were too high of course. Going to check/set sag this weekend. 520 chain swap and 2 up in back ended up extending the wheelbase a bit over 1/4 inch so I'll be curious to see what if any compensation is needed there.

I'm new to the R1. Is the electronic steering damper similar to the Honda CBR1K in that it increases damping with bike velocity? I just Flashed the bike and left the steering damper 'ON'. Recommendations on turning it 'OFF'? Realizing of course that most people go to the aftermarket at some point anyway.

BTW, that manual is just a bit under $100. I think I'm building my dealers retirement fund

Last edited by rmillersbs; 05-14-2015 at 09:51 PM.
post #26 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 03:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmillersbs View Post
Hmmm. Mine was set at 2 lines. Tire pressures were too high of course. Going to check/set sag this weekend. 520 chain swap and 2 up in back ended up extending the wheelbase a bit over 1/4 inch so I'll be curious to see what if any compensation is needed there.

I'm new to the R1. Is the electronic steering damper similar to the Honda CBR1K in that it increases damping with bike velocity? I just Flashed the bike and left the steering damper 'ON'. Recommendations on turning it 'OFF'? Realizing of course that most people go to the aftermarket at some point anyway.

BTW, that manual is just a bit under $100. I think I'm building my dealers retirement fund
Mine is set at 2 lines as well. Adding teeth to the back sprocket shortens the wheelbase not extends it.
The steering damper is speed dependent and it has a map that can be edited to suit your riding. It provides more stability at high speed but in the fast corners it could get hairy as the bike can be very hard to turn so for the track work you will need to edit it. I would not recommend switching it off altogether because a bad experience with Gixer that went into a tankslapper at 90km/h going through double railway crossing
I got an Australian manual for $60 from a dealer. Just over 67Mb. If someone knows how to link it for a download I am happy to share it.
post #27 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 05:55 AM
Yamaha blue, in any color.

Send a message via Yahoo to DanQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifu View Post
Mine is set at 2 lines as well. Adding teeth to the back sprocket shortens the wheelbase not extends it.
The steering damper is speed dependent and it has a map that can be edited to suit your riding. It provides more stability at high speed but in the fast corners it could get hairy as the bike can be very hard to turn so for the track work you will need to edit it. I would not recommend switching it off altogether because a bad experience with Gixer that went into a tankslapper at 90km/h going through double railway crossing
I got an Australian manual for $60 from a dealer. Just over 67Mb. If someone knows how to link it for a download I am happy to share it.
Google docs, maybe? I'll be a guinea pig if you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Signature by SpidermanSS. Thanks Shane!

Dan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 Vmax 20th Anniversary 98 of 2000
04 Road Star Warrior

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
post #28 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 06:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
Google docs, maybe? I'll be a guinea pig if you want.
Ok. I uploaded the file to my Google drive. Now I can share it but need your e-mail address to add so you could download it. I think the link below is only for viewing (?)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4J...ew?usp=sharing
R1_325Kid likes this.
post #29 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 09:31 AM
Yamaha blue, in any color.

Send a message via Yahoo to DanQ
Quote:
Ok. I uploaded the file to my Google drive. Now I can share it but need your e-mail address to add so you could download it. I think the link below is only for viewing (?)

I was able to download it, I think. 704 pages?

Signature by SpidermanSS. Thanks Shane!

Dan

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 Vmax 20th Anniversary 98 of 2000
04 Road Star Warrior

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
post #30 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

hey thanks man for the manual. works great.
as per your question on number of lines showing on the fork...the 4-88 manual diagram looks like two lines showing but on my bike its one line. I don't count the fork cap as a line. Here is a pic of mine showing as delivered 1 line showing.

btw after riding the bike on track I can see no reason to lower the front anymore than stock 1 line. Not any time soon for me anyways...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	743801  
post #31 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 01:44 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:

thanks. much better than the other one that was uploaded. not to demean the guy for doing it but it was barely legible with the water marks through it.
post #32 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 01:46 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly999 View Post
as per your question on number of lines showing on the fork...the 4-88 manual diagram looks like two lines showing but on my bike its one line. I don't count the fork cap as a line. Here is a pic of mine showing as delivered 1 line showing.

btw after riding the bike on track I can see no reason to lower the front anymore than stock 1 line. Not any time soon for me anyways...
mine is at 1 line also.
post #33 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly999 View Post

That could because you got standard R1 with a different forks. I think it is 2 lines on R1M and 1 line on a garden variety (sorry )
That probably created confusion when people don't specify what bike they are talking about.
post #34 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
I was able to download it, I think. 704 pages?
Cool that it works. Keep in mind though that this is for an Australian/European versions an it does not cover the extra bits the US or Canadian models have for the emission control.
I would love to get an ECU pinout for both, as someone from FTecu was explaining that the reason that people can't use European maps is that the ECU outputs are different between EU and US models. It is hard to believe that so I would like to check that theory.
post #35 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 07:42 PM
I eat my R1

I have a magazine in my hands right now that clearly shows the standard r1 with 1 line showing. And the rich mans r1 with 2 showing
post #36 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

wonder why they lowered the front on the r1m?? Maybe the bigger rear tire has some influence. Or the spring rates of the Ohlins. Interesting either way.
post #37 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 07:47 PM
I eat my R1

Maybe the forks are longer?
post #38 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 12:18 AM
I eat my R1

So...R1 shows 1 line when delivered, and R1M shows 2 lines when delivered.
Service manual shows 2 lines on both models.....strange.

post #39 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 02:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivmin View Post
So...R1 shows 1 line when delivered, and R1M shows 2 lines when delivered.
Service manual shows 2 lines on both models.....strange.
Yeah, so much for manual. It is a dud In both cases it refers to position "A" showing the same picture. Remember that manuals are written by people who can translate the language not the tech info.
post #40 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 10:32 AM
I eat my R1

Normally pictures dosen't need translation...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode