2015 R1 - Dave Moss Suspension Study - Page 3 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Yamaha R1 - R1M Suspension Setup, Tires, and Wheels Discuss the Yamaha R1M suspension setups you like most, what tires you are running and other related components.

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 02:33 PM
wanna B on the Track
 
castrolr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Now in AZ
Posts: 763
Send a message via AIM to castrolr1
Sent Dave an email on the setting confusion. Curious to see if he answers
castrolr1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1
 
superfly999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 560
The confusion on the manual settings and Dave's settings is probably because the clickers will go past -14 on rebound for sure as I had mine at -17 before I realized I went past the max. Dave probable just kept cranking looking for the limit. Probably doesn't do much past 14 though.
superfly999 is offline  
post #43 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 12:35 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly999 View Post
The confusion on the manual settings and Dave's settings is probably because the clickers will go past -14 on rebound for sure as I had mine at -17 before I realized I went past the max. Dave probable just kept cranking looking for the limit. Probably doesn't do much past 14 though.
That doesn't make sense. You count the clicks out from fully closed and there is a hard stop once the valve is fully open so you can not just "go past". Either there are different valves or his maths gone wrong.
Shifu is offline  
 
post #44 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 06:07 PM
Back to the Yamaha community.
 
Roadracer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New Bloomfield PA
Posts: 656
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifu View Post
Ok. I uploaded the file to my Google drive. Now I can share it but need your e-mail address to add so you could download it. I think the link below is only for viewing (?)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4J...ew?usp=sharing
Hi guy,
Can you add my email address so I can download a copy? I sent you a PM.

The older I get the slower I go.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roadracer86 is offline  
post #45 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1
 
superfly999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifu View Post
That doesn't make sense. You count the clicks out from fully closed and there is a hard stop once the valve is fully open so you can not just "go past". Either there are different valves or his maths gone wrong.
I think you are reading me wrong. I was fully closed and then opened the rebound 17 clicks out or counter clock wise. The book says 14 out is max. I'm just saying that you can definitely go more than 14 clicks out. I'm only guessing that Dave Moss may have opened his even further than 17 not knowing. BTW I'm back to 8 clicks out on rebound as I feel that the fork loosened up after breakin.

I will not be testing the max open theory as I don't want to break anything by going to far and I also don't give a @#$% about rebound that fast but by all means open yours to the stop and tell us how many clicks you could muster out of it
superfly999 is offline  
post #46 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 03:13 PM
I eat my R1
 
yamaharandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer86 View Post
Hi guy,
Can you add my email address so I can download a copy? I sent you a PM.
he doesn't have to you should be able to download it anyway. I did.
yamaharandy is offline  
post #47 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Back to the Yamaha community.
 
Roadracer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New Bloomfield PA
Posts: 656
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharandy View Post
he doesn't have to you should be able to download it anyway. I did.
Yep, my company laptop was the issue. Google Download restricted; my wife's laptop worked just fine. Thanks.

The older I get the slower I go.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roadracer86 is offline  
post #48 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 09:53 PM
My R1 eats me.
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly999 View Post
I think you are reading me wrong. I was fully closed and then opened the rebound 17 clicks out or counter clock wise. The book says 14 out is max. I'm just saying that you can definitely go more than 14 clicks out. I'm only guessing that Dave Moss may have opened his even further than 17 not knowing. BTW I'm back to 8 clicks out on rebound as I feel that the fork loosened up after breakin.

I will not be testing the max open theory as I don't want to break anything by going to far and I also don't give a @#$% about rebound that fast but by all means open yours to the stop and tell us how many clicks you could muster out of it
My r1 also has rebound max out at 17 clicks before max. Anyway i am weighing 72kg without gear and the front and rear suspension is just too stiff for me.

(Even with full soft front fork)
akalapovic is offline  
post #49 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 02:27 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by akalapovic View Post
..........has rebound max out at 17 clicks before max.

(Even with full soft front fork)
Could we please have an English version of what actually has happened? What exactly do you mean by "max out before.... max"
Shifu is offline  
post #50 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 05:21 AM
wanna B on the Track
 
castrolr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Now in AZ
Posts: 763
Send a message via AIM to castrolr1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifu View Post
Could we please have an English version of what actually has happened? What exactly do you mean by "max out before.... max"
mine has a hard stop at min and max... it doesn't click on into infinity

"I can't wait till I'm old enough to feel ways about things" (Phillip J. Fry)
castrolr1 is offline  
post #51 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 05:47 AM
Yamaha blue, in any color.
 
DanQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, NC USA
Posts: 24,120
Send a message via Yahoo to DanQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by castrolr1 View Post
mine has a hard stop at min and max... it doesn't click on into infinity
Most have definite stops as you bottom the needle or reach the end of the threads. They should never be forced.

Also, there will frequently be a difference in what the manual says is may, because of the way the caps are screwed onto the cartridge rod. When a tuner rebuilds a set of forks they are able to spend more time and get an exact number of clicks, but the OEM stuff can be off. The important thing to remember is your damping clicks (low speed) should normally always be counted out from closed. And there will only be so many "effective" clicks. One of the exercises/training evolutions Dave recommends is to get the damper set to a point you believe it is perfect, and then adjust by a click and ride. Then repeat. At some point you will find that at a given point the clicker doesn't really do anything further. This is because of the shape of the needles.

Hope this clarifies


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Signature by SpidermanSS. Thanks Shane!


Dan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 Vmax 20th Anniversary 98 of 2000
04 Road Star Warrior


TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
DanQ is offline  
post #52 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 05:12 PM
My R1 eats me.
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifu View Post
Could we please have an English version of what actually has happened? What exactly do you mean by "max out before.... max"
My apologies didnt realized the mistake while typing on my old and laggy phone.

My rebound maxed out at 17 clicks from min to max, unlike what the manual stated as well.
akalapovic is offline  
post #53 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 05:22 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by akalapovic View Post
My apologies didnt realized the mistake while typing on my old and laggy phone.

My rebound maxed out at 17 clicks from min to max, unlike what the manual stated as well.
Got it . That means 17 clicks of adjustment with the last 2-3 doing practically nothing as Dan said above.
Shifu is offline  
post #54 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 03:36 AM
I eat my R1
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly999 View Post
Id love a copy of that manual
I think mine is one line showing. Can't remember for certain though.
Mine has two lines showing and feels a little slow to steer. I only have 100 miles on it, but I'm very open to dropping the yokes once I get some miles on it. This bike is weird for me in that it takes some effort to get it to start turning, but bar pressures when cranked over are light and it takes little effort to change line while heeled over.
DeviousDave is offline  
post #55 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 04:40 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviousDave View Post
Mine has two lines showing and feels a little slow to steer. I only have 100 miles on it, but I'm very open to dropping the yokes once I get some miles on it. This bike is weird for me in that it takes some effort to get it to start turning, but bar pressures when cranked over are light and it takes little effort to change line while heeled over.
????? It's by far the easiest turning bike I have ever ridden
Shifu is offline  
post #56 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 05:53 AM
I eat my R1
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 141
It's not bad, I'd just like it a little lighter-I'm not 26 anymore and am having pain and reduced strength in my forearms, hands, and wrists.

Don't get old, that's my advice.
DeviousDave is offline  
post #57 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 06:13 AM
My R1 eats me.
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 14
Hi guys, I've recently had my suspension done at Motologic, Melbourne Australia, who they currently racing in ASBK (Australian Superbike), I thought I could share you my suspension set up both road and Phillip Island ready.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1533_1434287572163.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	756634  
Maz5pd is offline  
post #58 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 06:16 AM
Back to the Yamaha community.
 
Roadracer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New Bloomfield PA
Posts: 656
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviousDave View Post
It's not bad, I'd just like it a little lighter-I'm not 26 anymore and am having pain and reduced strength in my forearms, hands, and wrists.

Don't get old, that's my advice.
Lol, I'm coming off a K1300S after years of racing dirt and road (retired) and I can state that this bike turns like a Ferrari; that K1300s? Turned like a semi truck by comparison.

I'm pretty old and broken at 48 with plenty of past injuries coming back to haunt me.

If you haven't had sciatica yet....just wait you're in for a treat.

The older I get the slower I go.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roadracer86 is offline  
post #59 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1
 
superfly999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz5pd View Post
Hi guys, I've recently had my suspension done at Motologic, Melbourne Australia, who they currently racing in ASBK (Australian Superbike), I thought I could share you my suspension set up both road and Phillip Island ready.
I know ur on the upside down side of earth but seriously your tech used the from open or soft method instead of the from closed method. Ie ur settings make little sense as others will have different end points as stated above. I prob would count the settings to close and repost those
superfly999 is offline  
post #60 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 04:59 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly999 View Post
I know ur on the upside down side of earth but seriously your tech used the from open or soft method instead of the from closed method. Ie ur settings make little sense as others will have different end points as stated above. I prob would count the settings to close and repost those
Completely agree. Setting from fully closed are more accurate and consistent as very often the "stop" at fully open can be a bit soft and varying between the bikes. Fully closed gives much better reference point.
Shifu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome