2015 R1 - Dave Moss Suspension Study - Page 4 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Yamaha R1 - R1M Suspension Setup, Tires, and Wheels Discuss the Yamaha R1M suspension setups you like most, what tires you are running and other related components.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviousDave View Post
It's not bad, I'd just like it a little lighter-I'm not 26 anymore and am having pain and reduced strength in my forearms, hands, and wrists.

Don't get old, that's my advice.
That's a good one mate I am only 56 and think the age is the state of mind.
If the steering on this bike was any lighter you would go into a tanslapper at every bump. Maybe there is something wrong with your bike. Take to the dealer for a check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 05:23 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer86 View Post
Lol, I'm coming off a K1300S after years of racing dirt and road (retired) and I can state that this bike turns like a Ferrari; that K1300s? Turned like a semi truck by comparison.

I'm pretty old and broken at 48 with plenty of past injuries coming back to haunt me.

If you haven't had sciatica yet....just wait you're in for a treat.
I have a touch of it, screwed my lower back when I was 19 lifting parts at work. Have to be careful bending over or lifting things or it hurts for weeks for the discs in my back to heal/reorient. I've lost a lot of strength in my hands and arms, I'm a skilled tradesman and have some nerve damage and possibly a little carpal tunnel going on. Ankles and knees from pounding the concrete for 25 years etc.etc.
post #63 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 01:08 PM
I eat my R1

what's he mean by fork height +7mm?

post #64 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

I think he means that there is 7mm of the fork sticking up from the top of the triple clamp.
post #65 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 06:40 PM
I eat my R1

My brother is saying some teams he knows are running the forks flush and the rear shock @ 315-319mm in length. Anyone confirm this or know someone running it? He's hell bent in wanting to set my bike up the way he wants it lol. Im about to drop kick him in the nads
post #66 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Raising the front by dropping the forks isn't a bad thing. It will give u more trail and is the way I would go vs lowering the front. I have added two turns of fork preload which is also in effect raising the front slightly. But either way it's a small change that won't have you hating your bike if you go the wrong way on set up.
post #67 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 08:05 PM
the track is where its at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharandy View Post
My brother is saying some teams he knows are running the forks flush and the rear shock @ 315-319mm in length. Anyone confirm this or know someone running it? He's hell bent in wanting to set my bike up the way he wants it lol. Im about to drop kick him in the nads
What tyres are they using? This is important information as you also need to know the difference between race tyre diameter vs standard tyre diameter.

What model? R1 or R1M? Again different forks, fork lengths and spring rates, as well as different rear shock and spring rates.

There isn't a single ideal setting for these bikes, it depends on the rider, their weight, and riding style, along with tyres being used.
post #68 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 02:45 AM
My R1 eats me.

Sorry gents just thought it was something I could share to the group
post #69 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:05 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFZR View Post
What tyres are they using? This is important information as you also need to know the difference between race tyre diameter vs standard tyre diameter.

What model? R1 or R1M? Again different forks, fork lengths and spring rates, as well as different rear shock and spring rates.

There isn't a single ideal setting for these bikes, it depends on the rider, their weight, and riding style, along with tyres being used.
He got this info from thermosman. Mike fitzgerald from ohlins.

Stock tires and the r1 (kyb)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woB2tuL6dhk
post #70 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly999 View Post
Raising the front by dropping the forks isn't a bad thing. It will give u more trail and is the way I would go vs lowering the front. I have added two turns of fork preload which is also in effect raising the front slightly. But either way it's a small change that won't have you hating your bike if you go the wrong way on set up.
It will also affect your turn in, make it run wide on exit and change the swingarm angle. What is exactly the point of doing that unless you have a clearance problem?
post #71 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

You can raise the front if you want more trail and stability. It will slow the steering and you will raise the c of g which changes the way the bike falls over. And ground clearance is more. The bike pitches front to back more with the higher c of g.
I'm not saying that's what this bike needs. But it's an option people use. Some forks are extended to raise the front very high and some rear shocks are extended as well to raise the entire bike. It's too much for my ipad fingers to type though. Need to check out suspension for mortals by max Mcallister. He's the man to learn from
post #72 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 05:19 PM
My R1 eats me.

Dave Moss is the BEST in business, he's only person who touches my bike! Highly recommend
Thanks,
Chris
post #73 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 05:29 PM
wanna B on the Track

Send a message via AIM to castrolr1
Really? Which team does he support right now?
post #74 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Banned

Please lets not turn this thread into a debate who's dick is longer. Suspension is not a magic (a bit of black art maybe sometimes) but there are a lot of highly competent people out there that can set the suspension correctly.
I met Dave on a number of occasions while was in Australia last year. Yes he knows his business very well but he is not a God of Suspension. No one really is.

Last edited by Shifu; 06-21-2015 at 07:04 PM.
post #75 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 07:20 PM
wanna B on the Track

Hahahah. Wasn't meant that way at all. I've taken classes from Paul Theda and I like Jim Cambora work in CMRA. I was just asking a question as why he's considered the best. I'll drop it
post #76 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 07:21 PM
wanna B on the Track

Thede. Stupid auto correct
post #77 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:03 PM
I eat my R1

I gotta say his settings sucked on the track. I went with way different settings motousa used with jason pridmore as one of the riders. Front felt way better. Im not sure how he counted the clicks but mine def does NOT go that far
post #78 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 06:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharandy View Post
I gotta say his settings sucked on the track. I went with way different settings motousa used with jason pridmore as one of the riders. Front felt way better. Im not sure how he counted the clicks but mine def does NOT go that far
What really suck is that people have the impression that someone's settings or fuel maps will work with their bike. Every single bike is different, and what he gave, was just a good starting point. You still need to dial it in on a basis of your tire wear pattern, your weight and the style of riding. There is no magical setting numbers that will suit everyone.
esykes3360 likes this.
post #79 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

I'm going on a long road trip so I decided to remove some fork compression and went from -10 clicks out to -20 clicks out. It did very little in terms of softening the ride. All it seemed to do was allow more brake dive. This makes sense as its a low speed compression adjustment. Just an FYI

Also I increased the cold tire pressures to 35F/41R. basically 1 psi less than recommended by the manual. Tires warm up ok - and should give a bit better wear for my long 1300KM journey. However the ride is harsh and you get to experience all the cracks in the pavement via your wrists or your arse. I think I was at 32F/36R and the tires at least absorbed some road bumps...wear suffered though. I'm sure my rear will be completely bald when I get back. Will be close to 3000KM...
post #80 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 09:04 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifu View Post
What really suck is that people have the impression that someone's settings or fuel maps will work with their bike. Every single bike is different, and what he gave, was just a good starting point. You still need to dial it in on a basis of your tire wear pattern, your weight and the style of riding. There is no magical setting numbers that will suit everyone.
His and motousa satting are on opposite ends of the spectrum.
My tire wear greatly improved and so did the front end feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode