2015 R1 - Dave Moss Suspension Study - Page 5 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Yamaha R1 - R1M Suspension Setup, Tires, and Wheels Discuss the Yamaha R1M suspension setups you like most, what tires you are running and other related components.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 102 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 07:33 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharandy View Post
My brother is saying some teams he knows are running the forks flush and the rear shock @ 315-319mm in length. Anyone confirm this or know someone running it? He's hell bent in wanting to set my bike up the way he wants it lol. Im about to drop kick him in the nads
I talked to Penske about my shock and they told me road race factory is running the shock at 318mm in motoamerica. I don't know about the front though. The front is super soft. I've got the preload all the down and still have 36mm of sag. Hopefully Ohlins 30mm kit is going on it soon.

WERA 827
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Garage
Ohlins guys at Motogp/MA in COTA said the exact same thing about the bikes running Ohlins. 318 rear and flush up front. They said the bike geometry likes this setting better than it comes stock. Problem for R1M is that you can't lengthen the rear so you need to purchase a ride height extender for the rear to bring it to 318. Also need to go up one spring rate in the rear if you weigh between 185-200.
post #83 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 02:08 PM

Garage
MA running Dunlop USA N-TEC....200/55 rear.

post #84 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 04:04 PM
Speed is Life

Garage
And where can you get this ride height extender? Amazing Chris Urich in RR never mentioned any issues when testing the bike.

I'd rather hear about what they are dong in World superstock
post #85 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 06:31 PM
I eat my R1

No idea on ride height for the M but my standard shock was 319mm from Yamaha so it was right in the ballpark from the start.
post #86 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

600km into my trip I had to replace the rs10 rear. What a joke. I could see it wearing to the carcass every hour. Just over 2000km total and it was unsafe. That's soft. I had to get a Michelin power 3 put on as that was all I could get short notice. Anyone know about this tire? Seems ok. Steep profile for the 190/55. Falls over easily. Get me home at least.
post #87 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 01:46 AM

Done 2800km on mine. New tyre next week.
post #88 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 11:29 PM
my genius knows no bounds

Enough about tires, let's stay on topic, gentlemen.

We need to tug on Dave Moss' sleeve from time to time, let's get some followup on this, and in much more clear terms. He needs to state clicks as either in or out from max each time.. Confusing...
post #89 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 11:32 PM
2015 R1..

Garage
With all the previous R1s I have had and talking to suspension guys. The R1 likes to be on its ass.. Raising the forks (flush), improves the ride for the track. I just got my bike yesterday and went on first canyon ride this morning. Bike needs suspension changes for sure. for me the ride height is too high (standard 2015 R1) in the rear. I had to put in alot of effort to get my knee on the ground, trying not to push too hard with these stock tires, and it was wet too. The ground just seemed like it was far away. Im not going to adjust forks until I have a suspension guy set up the sag for me.

Favorite track Cali-Speedway 1:34's!
First day at chuck walla 1:58

First track on 2015 R1 ACS Level 3 highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3oD62QOgRg

post #90 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 04:53 PM
2015 R1..

Garage
Well, stock settings gave me no front end feel and it is super stiff. I usually have it soft enough that I am using 3/4 travel (or more) when on the brakes. This thing barely budges. After my ride I adjusted full soft on the entire front and will update. FYI, mine was able to click well past 20 on both comp and rebound.

I had also let air out of the tires (32psi cold) front and rear before my ride (Palomar mountain) and was able to bugger up the front and rear tires pretty good even with snow on the sides of the road. Probably will go to 30psi cold on the front next week also.

Again, the front end does not provide good feedback, but could be these Bridgestone tires that I am not used to also. Michelin Power cup EVO front on its way.

I cant figure out how to adjust the rear ride height. Loosen the nut at bottom of shock, but I guess I have to unbolt the shock to spin to lower the ride height. I cant find any information on this. If you have adjusted your rear ride height please enlighten me.

post #91 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 05:54 PM
My R1 eats everything.

has anyone determined the spring #s for the M based on the spring rates? i have no idea if they suit my weight but im almost 100% that id need lighter springs @ 135lbs

YZF-R1M 90.00 N/mm (9.18 kgf/mm, 513.90
lbf/in)
is the rear
YZF-R1M 21.00 N/mm (2.14 kgf/mm, 119.91
lbf/in)
is the front

i cant really begin to set up my suspension until i have the correct springs, right?
post #92 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 06:20 PM
2015 R1..

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant View Post
has anyone determined the spring #s for the M based on the spring rates? i have no idea if they suit my weight but im almost 100% that id need lighter springs @ 135lbs

YZF-R1M 90.00 N/mm (9.18 kgf/mm, 513.90
lbf/in)
is the rear
YZF-R1M 21.00 N/mm (2.14 kgf/mm, 119.91
lbf/in)
is the front

i cant really begin to set up my suspension until i have the correct springs, right?
You really need lighter springs for your weight. Im 190 and these are stiff for me.

post #93 of 102 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:23 PM
My R1 eats everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB6IB9 View Post
You really need lighter springs for your weight. Im 190 and these are stiff for me.
for both front and rear? ive got ALL the preload out of the back and yeah its pretty bumpy still, but the jury is still out with the front.

no idea what springs ill need... but i seem to remember some conjecture about the actual spring weights in the front.
post #94 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 09:14 AM
2015 R1..

Garage
I read the OP and clicked the link, setup the suspension exactly how the link described. Bike softened up but will not hold a tight line through slow technical turns. With the front preload all the way soft I am finally using 3/4 of travel on front forks. I usually use 7/8. I gage this by strapping a tie wrap around one fork leg.

I am having my suspension set up this morning by our local trackday/race suspension guru who knows the 2015 R1 well. Luckily his shop is 5 minute drive. Like many others have said suspension is personal preference (besides sag) but hopefully this will give you a solid baseline.

I am not enjoying the way the bike handles right now. Waaay too tall ride height I think is the worst part for me. I still think I need softer springs in the front also. Thats next on the list.

post #95 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 01:57 PM
my genius knows no bounds

Yeah someone needs to let Dave borrow their bike. I might do so..
post #96 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifu View Post
That's a good one mate I am only 56 and think the age is the state of mind.
If the steering on this bike was any lighter you would go into a tanslapper at every bump. Maybe there is something wrong with your bike. Take to the dealer for a check.
I'm curious as to the age of the people on here that ride these bikes, R1's in general and specifically the 2015 version R1&R1M.
There were some people discussing this on page 3 of this thread, and I was a bit surprised.
Where does age play a role in ownership of the latest/greatest super bike on the market?
post #97 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 03:48 PM
2015 R1..

Garage
Im 41, been riding Yamahas since the FZ750, FZR600, Numerous R6, and R1s. My blood bleeds blue. I was expecting a revamped-crosplane triple R6 this year but the R1 was pretty friggen amazing so I picked it up. Will probably trade it in for the new R6 whenever it gets released.

post #98 of 102 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 04:24 PM
Yama-haulin'

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tyrmeltr Send a message via Yahoo to Tyrmeltr
I found tires matter a lot. I didn't like the way the stock Bridgestones steer. Bike handles way better with Dunlop Q3s, they are much pointier and the bike steers much quicker and falls into corners very nicely in comparison.

These are the settings I'm currently at, but bear in mind I'm 215lbs. The bike is definitely undersprung and underdamped for me, but this is the best I've come up with wiuthout locking out the damping circuits completely or causing it to pogo too much...

"C" represents my current setting. Everything is in turns out from all the way in. So Max 0 is all the way in. The exception is rear preload which is meausured in MMs from the collar to the top mounting eyelet.

Front

Preload: Min 15 Std 9 Max 0 C 6
Rebound: Min 14 Std 7 Max 0 C 7
Comp: Min 23 Std 17 Max 0 C 9
Tire: Rec 36 C 34

Rear

Preload: Min 77.5 Std 79 Max 85.5 C 85.5
Rebound: Min 23 Std 12 Max 0 C 8
F. Comp: Min 5.5 Std 3 Max 0 C 3
S. Comp: Min 18 Std 10 Max 0 C 6
Tire: Rec 42 C 36

Arik

"Live every day as if it were your last. Learn every day as if you will live forever." - Mohandas Ghandi
post #99 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 05:35 PM
Ya I track it

Did any track/race guys notice considerable amount of rotation ("backing it in") on braking.
I bought mine in June on a Thursday and took off for NCM on Friday. Now I only did 2 sessions (on the stock tires) with the bike as I have 2007 that was my race bike, but I normally run Pirellis. I wasn't sure if it was the bikes suspension (unset up) the tires, or the unified brake system, or all of it together. But when I was riding it on the track I felt like MM backing it into every corner I could not keep it from stepping out on the brakes. Now I've got my 2007 to back in only coming up the hill into turn 6 at Road A, but dances most of the time. But I was curious if anyone else had this.
I took the bike up to Road A with Pirellis on it but 2nd lap of 1st session on my 2007 went down in Canada corner and broke my collar bone so haven't ridden the track sonce with better tire.
Any one else have a similar issue?

CCS # 484
2015 R1 Raven... currently under construction becoming new race bike.
2007 R1 Charcoal(Retired race bike) - Two Brothers Carbon Black series pipes, Danmoto link pipe ,Vortex rear sets and sprokets, GPR stabilizer, BMC race filter, Galfer lines, Superbike Unlimited flash, Bazzaz ZFi-QS-TC, Woodcraft case guards, FP racing clutch/brake lever.
post #100 of 102 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 01:56 AM
2015 R1..

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1_325Kid View Post
Did any track/race guys notice considerable amount of rotation ("backing it in") on braking.
I bought mine in June on a Thursday and took off for NCM on Friday. Now I only did 2 sessions (on the stock tires) with the bike as I have 2007 that was my race bike, but I normally run Pirellis. I wasn't sure if it was the bikes suspension (unset up) the tires, or the unified brake system, or all of it together. But when I was riding it on the track I felt like MM backing it into every corner I could not keep it from stepping out on the brakes. Now I've got my 2007 to back in only coming up the hill into turn 6 at Road A, but dances most of the time. But I was curious if anyone else had this.
I took the bike up to Road A with Pirellis on it but 2nd lap of 1st session on my 2007 went down in Canada corner and broke my collar bone so haven't ridden the track sonce with better tire.
Any one else have a similar issue?

That was mostly suspension causing that. You should always have the suspension set up prior to heading onto track.

I had my suspsension set up by a trackside pro (who lives near me) and it completely changed the characteristics of the bike. SO MUCH BETTER!

I still need softer springs, but nobody is making them yet, besides the R1M.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode