2015 R1 - Dave Moss Suspension Study - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Yamaha R1 - R1M Suspension Setup, Tires, and Wheels Discuss the Yamaha R1M suspension setups you like most, what tires you are running and other related components.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

2015 R1 - Dave Moss Suspension Study

From Dave Moss on a new 2015 R1 as he sets up the suspension for a rider.
Points to note: The fork is stiff - ends up at full soft settings on the street. Also the tire pressures too hard as delivered for these RS10 Bridgestones.

Good things to consider and I'm personally glad he wrote this all as just bouncing the bike in the shop it was exactly what I was thinking. Still cant wait to ride this thing!!!

http://feelthetrack.com/testing-prog...r1-case-study/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 10:48 PM
Yama-haulin'

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tyrmeltr Send a message via Yahoo to Tyrmeltr
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I have Dave Moss' tuning DVD, and set up my very not stock FZ1 using his methods.

Considering I'm 215lbs, and stock forks are usually way soft, I'm pretty happy that the front is too stiff for a 185lber. It means they will probably be perfect for me. After putting down all that money, it's refreshing to know I won't have to pull the forks off and put new spring and valving in them right away.

I'm interested to see if the shock will be too soft though. I usually have to jack up the preload on stock shocks so much to get preload right that it overwhelms the shocks rebound damping capabilities. Until I go aftermarket it's usually a compromise between too much sag or a shock that pogos.

Arik

"Live every day as if it were your last. Learn every day as if you will live forever." - Mohandas Ghandi
post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

I can't say for sure that the spring rate in the front is too high for me at 180lbs. I'm guessing they are 1.0kg/mm. Would be nice to know. However the damping is quite high and that's where the stiff feeling comes from. Just a guess since I haven't even ridden it. My guess again would be Dave moss reducing fork oil level and viscosity. Dave never is happy it seems though. He loves to play with everything

post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 06:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly999 View Post
From Dave Moss on a new 2015 R1 as he sets up the suspension for a rider.
Points to note: The fork is stiff - ends up at full soft settings on the street. Also the tire pressures too hard as delivered for these RS10 Bridgestones.

Good things to consider and I'm personally glad he wrote this all as just bouncing the bike in the shop it was exactly what I was thinking. Still cant wait to ride this thing!!!

http://feelthetrack.com/testing-prog...r1-case-study/
I can't figure how did he get the 32 mm front sag at the start because it is 28 by my maths but interesting info never the less. For most part the bikes come with the springs way too soft so that is the good change.
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:33 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I'm 205 lbs and the front forks were too soft for me on track even as stiff as we could set the forks to. I'm having the springs replaced. This is actually the first I've heard of someone saying the front is stiff on these bikes, unless we're talking about an R1M? I know the front forks on the M electronic suspension are almost 10% stiffer. But for Street use I can see the front forks being perfect on the regular R1.

The rear shock was actually okay on track with the stock spring.
post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

no this isn't the R1M with ohlins. This is all about the KYB forks on the standard 2015 R1
post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzwax View Post
I'm 205 lbs and the front forks were too soft for me on track even as stiff as we could set the forks to. I'm having the springs replaced. This is actually the first I've heard of someone saying the front is stiff on these bikes, unless we're talking about an R1M? I know the front forks on the M electronic suspension are almost 10% stiffer. But for Street use I can see the front forks being perfect on the regular R1.

The rear shock was actually okay on track with the stock spring.
I am 192lb (87kg) and to date every bike I had was too soft out of factory and needed new springs. That's why I was excited that this one was a bit stiffer and would save the expense.
post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:08 PM
My R1 eats you.

Quote:
I can't say for sure that the spring rate in the front is too high for me at 180lbs. I'm guessing they are 1.0kg/mm. Would be nice to know. However the damping is quite high and that's where the stiff feeling comes from. Just a guess since I haven't even ridden it. My guess again would be Dave moss reducing fork oil level and viscosity. Dave never is happy it seems though. He loves to play with everything
I'm pretty sure the standard R1 is .90 kg/mm front and 88 rear while the R1M is 1.05 and 90.

I'm hoping to get my M to a track day with Dave early on. Maybe Laguna or Sears (That's what he calls the latter )
post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 08:28 PM

On this note does anyone know of a person or company that is making stiffer springs for these new stock KYB forks? As I previously stated I'm having stiffer springs put in, but we're having a tough time finding someone who has made them for these "all new" KYB's.
post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 09:05 PM
Collector

My M is too stiff stock front and rear, had to lessen rear preload all the way and some front. The sag is still under 30.
post #11 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzwax View Post
On this note does anyone know of a person or company that is making stiffer springs for these new stock KYB forks? As I previously stated I'm having stiffer springs put in, but we're having a tough time finding someone who has made them for these "all new" KYB's.
There would be hardly anything special about the springs in these new forks. Check with Race-Tech rep and I am sure they will have something already or in the pipes shortly.
esykes3360 likes this.
post #12 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifu View Post
There would be hardly anything special about the springs in these new forks. Check with Race-Tech rep and I am sure they will have something already or in the pipes shortly.
The local Race-Tech rep is one of the people who said these new forks are a pain in the ass internally and they don't have an upgrade "yet" lol.
post #13 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 10:10 AM
I eat my R1

K-Tech has new internals ready.
Would be my choice, if I find OE is not good enough.
Worked very well on my RSV4 aPRC.

R1 2015 on track, Aprilia Shiver on road.
post #14 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivmin View Post
Cool. I'll look into them. Thanks!!
post #15 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivmin View Post

The K-Tech guy says they don't have springs or valves yet

The springs on these new KYB forks are very small compared to normal so they have to be designed for this new fork specifically.
post #16 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 06:38 PM
bev
I eat my R1

I'm a little confused here because I can't see how they could have made this mistake. The
maximum clicks out on Rebound are 14 and Compression 23. I don't know where they came up with the below figures.
I was in the middle of applying these setting until I found out they don't exist.

Chassis changes:

Fork height +7mm, preload full soft, rebound 27 clicks out from maximum, compression 25 clicks out from maximum.

The shock setting posted are right within range.
post #17 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 06:07 PM
bev
I eat my R1

Nobody??
post #18 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

After my trackday I can say that the springs in the fork seem soft and had no trouble blowing through the stroke during braking. I think I was about 15mm left to the axle casting on the fork leg. I think next time I'll try some more compression damping from the stock setting. I was reluctant to increase the comp as the track was bumpy and it felt stiff in some spots as it was. I think the high speed comp in the fork via the shims is stiff. And fork spring rate of 0.9 kg/mm is prob right.
Anyone else get the tail wagging on braking??
post #19 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 09:01 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
I think I was about 15mm left to the axle casting on the fork leg.
That's actually the physical stop.

R1 2015 on track, Aprilia Shiver on road.
post #20 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 02:34 PM
wanna B on the Track

Send a message via AIM to castrolr1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bev View Post
I'm a little confused here because I can't see how they could have made this mistake. The
maximum clicks out on Rebound are 14 and Compression 23. I don't know where they came up with the below figures.
I was in the middle of applying these setting until I found out they don't exist.

Chassis changes:

Fork height +7mm, preload full soft, rebound 27 clicks out from maximum, compression 25 clicks out from maximum.

The shock setting posted are right within range.

I'm curious about this too

"I can't wait till I'm old enough to feel ways about things" (Phillip J. Fry)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode