Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Tip over, almost no damage.

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  DarkHorse 
#1 · (Edited)
A "Well, I just couldn't save it." type of day.

Had to make an emergency stop just outside of my driveway, unfortunately I had just turned onto the road and was still at a minor lean angle.. with no speed :icon_cry:

I know what you're thinking.
"No problem, I'll just put my foot down and all will be right in the world.":bash I was thinking this too. Not today.

I didn't realize (until my foot found nothing but air) that I was too close to the edge of the road where the pavement drops and additional 2 inches into gravel and dirt. Not very far until forward momentum turns into side momentum and those two inches catch you off guard.

Man I about cried, fighting a losing battle as the bike tipped over. :1pok::banghead:

Thankfully Yamaha saw fit to build a very sturdy machine. After a quick prayer I picked up my fairly unscathed bike.
The worst of the damage was a snapped peg. Complimented by a few scratches on the engine case, muffler guard, bar-end, brake lever, and some scuffing on the mirror. All very minor.

Some buffing and new pegs and while the damage is there its hardly noticeable unless someone really looks for it. :vanish

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A "Well, I just couldn't save it." type of day.

Had to make an emergency stop just outside of my driveway, unfortunately I had just turned onto the road and was still at a minor lean angle.. with no speed :icon_cry:

I know what you're thinking.
"No problem, I'll just put my foot down and all will be right in the world.":bash I was thinking this too. Not today.

I didn't realize (until my foot found nothing but air) that I was too close to the edge of the road where the pavement drops and additional 2 inches into gravel and dirt. Not very far until forward momentum turns into side momentum and those two inches catch you off guard.

Man I about cried, fighting a losing battle as the bike tipped over. :1pok::banghead:

Thankfully Yamaha saw fit to build a very sturdy machine. After a quick prayer I picked up my fairly unscathed bike.
The worst of the damage was a snapped peg. Complimented by a few scratches on the engine case, muffler guard, barend brake lever, and some scuffing on the mirror. All very minor.

Some buffing and new pegs and while the damage is there its hardly noticeable unless someone really looks for it. :vanish[/QUOTE
Man don't beat yourself up over it. Things happen. It is way better than someone else being involved, Fixer up and ride on.

#4 ·
Been there done that to my R1. Rolled out the garage and put the kickstand down and next thing i know the bikes on its side. The kickstand wasnt locked in :frown2:

Hope this doesnt bring back an old wound elevens but this is my buddies 848 evo literally hours before we rolled in to a car show. He got off pretty lucky too with some minor scuffs and a bent lever

Attachments

#6 ·
Been there done that to my R1. Rolled out the garage and put the kickstand down and next thing i know the bikes on its side. The kickstand wasnt locked in :frown2:

Hope this doesn't bring back an old wound elevens but this is my buddies 848 evo literally hours before we rolled in to a car show. He got off pretty lucky too with some minor scuffs and a bent lever
I am so very grateful the kickstand thing never happened to me, I'm so wary of that, it nearly happened once and ever since I've been paranoid ever since.

#9 ·
yeah my bike got tipped over, the old 15 one that is, and the woodcraft frame sliders stopped everything. only marks on the bike were a few scratches on the puck and a few marks on the lower engine case. got lucky. someone was borrowing it at the time, i dunno the circumstances but it was a zero speed drop, yeah. this bike seems to do well with all that.. lucky us.

#10 ·
Glad it didn't turn out to bad. It definitely qualifies as one of the most terrible things that can happen when you love your bike the way we do.

Man don't beat yourself up over it. Things happen. It is way better than someone else being involved, Fixer up and ride on.
It happens to all of us if you've been riding long enough. :fact

What's a barend brake lever? My Ducati fell off the sidestand and it was $2500 in repairs. Glad to hear that the Yam is a completely different animal.
:smileeek:That's why I love jap bikes and only buy custom Italian parts.

Hope this doesnt bring back an old wound elevens but this is my buddies 848 evo literally hours before we rolled in to a car show. He got off pretty lucky too with some minor scuffs and a bent lever
I've got the same exhaust, don't see to many bikes with them.

I am so very grateful the kickstand thing never happened to me, I'm so wary of that, it nearly happened once and ever since I've been paranoid ever since.
It happened to me once. If it does happen or you even have a close call it will most likely never happen again.

#13 ·
Dude, what damage? It's so minimal; glad your bike looks as good as it does, man I love the Yam blue.

Ride hard and don't be paranoid, because it saps the fun out of riding. Whether its street or track, the most important thing is to first, focus, and then have fun. Forget about anything else.

#18 ·
I said what I said because engine case covers can be broken open very easily.

It's a weak point in a crash of even a simple too over so I'd rather replace it entirely.

I've seen many Woodcrafts covers crashed at the track and on the street and I like what I've seen.

No trying to turn this into a debate thread so I'll just leave my comments at that.

Thanks for the video.

#19 ·
No worries man! Didn't mean to come off "debatey" by any means at all. We like to make sure our customers or just riders in general are all informed of the same information. There's a lot of myths and facts out there regarding crash protection and we don't want to stir the pot and watch it pour out. :)

Best crash protection out there? Not crashing your bike! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.