Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

R1M "YUBI" Racing

178K views 2K replies 93 participants last post by  R1@150@alltimes 
#1 ·
Howdy folks, I am planning on tracking both the 5VY and the R1M this year. Picked up some used plastics for 2005 R1 last week, so she will be on track duty at NJMP mid May. In the meantime, I ordered the following for the R1M to get her ready...:yea:

I have the FTECU, and my friend, mechanic, track buddy and RaceMaintenance shop owner will be doing the installations this time around, before and after dyno runs, and designing a set of custom MotoGP rearsets. I have the CAD file, but am not allowed to show it just yet....:deal2:

TY Riders Discount!!! TJ is the man...I don't care what you heard about him at the "Blue Oyster Bar"....

Sharkskinz Race Plastics
Cox Radiator & Oil Cooler guards
GB Racing engine covers

TY Mummy!!! I haven't awoken you in a while, hope your not upset with me...

Graves Block Off covers
Austin Racing GP1R

Dropping off my bike Sunday, and will not see her for at least 2-3 weeks. I also plan on getting the plastics painted during the installation....more pics to come, but for now here goes the first bag of goodies....

See less See more
#10 ·
Hey guys, some quick updates!!! The FTECU will be installed this week, but not flashed until next week. Once it gets to the dyno they will do a base run, all stock. The flash, then do another dyno run so we will have a before and after.

The GB Racing covers, Cox oil & radiator screens have arrived and will be fitted shortly.

Still waiting on the AR and Sharskinz...

I am having some custom parts made, as per his recommendation. For example the brake reservoir bracket, will have a billet version made. He is also looking into making a quick release for the headlights, so we wont have to take plastics off. And a billet mirror block off plate. Everything will be anodized in black.

The rearsets were measured and are in CAD, ready to machine very soon. I know some of you are ordering rearsets, I would wait and see what they come up with. I think you are really going to like what you see!!!

More updates to come as we go, I expect to have the bike back for NJMP 5/16-17!!!!

#13 · (Edited)
Sup guys, spoke to my shop today and heres whats been done:

cox radiator/oil covers installed
FTECU bike harness installed
unrestricted file uploaded
Austin Racing PCV map imported
exup disabled & removed
AIS disabled & removed
Austin Racing GP1R installed
GB Racing engine covers installed

The custom rearsets, lever guards and front reservoir brackets will take longer than expected due to other circumstances. The chain lifters will be done by the 19th though.

Now to prep the bike for the track, we are going to test fit the sharkskins bodywork next week, then shave the left side near the engine cover for proper fitment along with removing the kick stand. Once completed, we will then put it back to stock, this way I can get an idea of what it entails to swap from street to race.

Today I went ahead and ordered TST Level 2 slider kit, since I don't have any on the bike, and really want to have some sort of protection. TST was very responsive and actually shipped the product out a few mins after ordering...amazing!!! I also ordered a ZG clear screen for the race bodywork.

Will also do an oil change next week, and possibly devise a bracket to use the sharkskins tail light cover instead of using double sided tape or velcro....

Stay tuned folks....NYST on June 19th!!!!

#15 ·
Hey guys, spent most of the entire afternoon and evening at my mechanics shop performing the following tasks. I have to give a HUGE thanks to Peter at Race maintenance, whom did an incredible job getting this thing together in such short notice. We have some custom parts on the way, but the bike is now ready for June 19th NYST debut, with only 386 miles on the clock...:D

Here is what was done last night....and I am sure I am missing something so feel free to ask any questions since I had a few that Marquis answered for me on the fly on FB...ty Marquis!!!

Exhaust Video....its louder than it sounds, but dear god is it mean...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsmmzBKTIow

1. removed stock plastics & kickstand (labeled screws and blots that come off in yellow)
  2. removed AIS
  3. plugging up AIS hole
  4. plugging up AIS hose
  5. FTECU flash to disable AIS (even though it is not necessary)
  6. dremel sharkskinz ram air funnel (the stock ram air has a black screen that sits on 2 plastic pieces that are part of the OEM ram air. The sharkskinz ram airn will not slide in unless you dremel the OEM piece, or you dremel the sharkzkinz which is what we did)
  7. dremel left engine cover for GB racing fitment
  8. dremel right side exhaust for Austin Racing fitment
  9. possibly dremel the right side 4th header that might melt part of the belly pan that opens up
  10. drill out holes for front fender and lower belly pan near oil cooler
  11. drill out holes for ZG windscreen, installed ZG
  12. remove GPS unit with heat gun and relocate on top of CCU within rear tail
  13. secure sharskinz tail light cover, with either velcro tape, but will most likely just drill from the top and use the bolt holes used for stock fender to hole it in place
  14. installed TST level 2 kit, and I must say it looks great, includes bar ends, frame sliders, fork sliders, axle sliders and rear swinger spools
  15. AR pipe with DB killer sounds like shit, also looks like shit...
  16. FTECU imported AR PVC map, also unrestricted FTECU map, but will take it to get a custom tune ASAP

Photos in random order...

Ram Air grommet and screen

Sharzkins fitment issue here

Removed AIS garbage

Dremel left engine cover

Dremel exhaust side

#25 ·
Hey V, thats correct its for the 2005 R1, which still needs a rear caliper and harris swing arm, when I find one...Ian...Ian...where are uuuuuuuu...

Looking good, I cant wait till the 19th..
Thanks Scott, see u on the 19th!!!

I actually rode the bike today for the first time after getting her back from the shop. I got another temp LIC plate from my dealer because they still dont have the title so I cant register it yet. Well I went out during the day with no headlights, no mirrors, no signals and no kickstand. But I did instalt the brake light of course....

First thing I see right away is it just wants to turn, once leaned over it feels very planted and stable, and just wants to freaking turn, simply amazing what Yamaha did this year. The sound, power, feel, everything else is perfect, no complaints, even the stock rear set location is good, just a tad higher than usual is what I prefer. I doubt I will adjust them any higher when I get the attack rearsets. The power and speed is misleading, you really dont feel like your going fast until you look down, well compared to my older bike for example.

I tried Modes A, B, C and did feel that the FTECU softened up the choppy thorttle it had before. It is most pronounced in A mode of course, but allot better than before. The exhaust spits out flames on down shift, gargles at stop lights, and just sounds menacing...seriously happy with it. It is extremely loud, but I ride with ear plugs any way so I can't tell.

Also scheduled a suspension set up at Washington Cycle Works for Sat mornin, and they are looking into doing a custom AFR tune for me. I am not sure if they will use the FTECU or a PCV (since they are a PCV & Bazzaz shop and dont know FTECU ye), but Ron the owner will be at Barber for MotoAmerica and has a scheduled meeting with FTECU president to lay out all the quesitons while he is there...more to come!!!

Attachments

#30 ·
Decided to install some goodies last night....

First off, got this heat shield from ebay, not bad actually I was able to cut it to a desired length and shape...

Next were the rear sets...shifter side was easy enough...

Brake side...not sure what to do with the brake switch and spring. I guess the brake switch will be removed which is fine, but I want to keep spring tension.

Ronnie, that photo you posted, I am not sure how to perform that surgery....or if I have any other spring options...?

#78 ·
Decided to install some goodies last night....

Brake side...not sure what to do with the brake switch and spring. I guess the brake switch will be removed which is fine, but I want to keep spring tension.

Ronnie, that photo you posted, I am not sure how to perform that surgery....or if I have any other spring options...?

I've been following this thread since picking up my R1M last week - very nice! Just installed the AP rearsets (had them on my Triumph D675 and loved them - though took a Dremel to the break-off portion of the pegs to make them less aggressive as they were eating through my boots in 1 day) and wondered if you came up w/ a solution for the brake return spring.

Also - have the AR exhaust on order (though with CF can) and was wondering whether it attaches to the exhaust brackets left by the Cat removal or if it just mounts at the peg.

Thx much!
- Mike

#38 ·
Thanks Ron. I think the bike needs different pads for more bite and rearset adjustments for my riding position.

I started to load the bike tonight for njmp Sunday and found a dead battery. Not sure if it's the ccu recall but it's on the tender and I have a light weight alien motion thanks to sspanega on charge just in case.

Also did the tech spec pads tonight but can't cover the rest of the tank just yet, it's too perrrty...although I found a scratch on the tank...ohhh well that's what happens when you actually ride your bike!!

Saul Goodman

Vehicle
Wire Technology Electronic device
Automotive lighting Light Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part
Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle Auto part

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#43 ·
Hi your exhaust looks awesome. Sounds good on Youtube. Do you know if the DB killers rob an HP? did it sound that bad with them in?

Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words Thamer...and YouTube does the pipe no justice, same for other pipes.

Yes the db killer sounds like shit in my opinion. And I imagine it robs a little hp but I'll never notice cuz it's in a drawer collecting dust.

Maybe when we goto calabogie I'll have to install it since they have db restriction levels...:-(

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.