2016 R1 Track Build - Years In the Making - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Yamaha R1 + R1M Garage Space Share your Yamaha R1M builds and stories in here.

9Likes
  • 1 Post By DucDoc
  • 3 Post By DucDoc
  • 2 Post By DucDoc
  • 2 Post By gsa013
  • 1 Post By to0nz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
2016 R1 Track Build - Years In the Making

Hello Everyone!

I posted in the new member forum a few weeks ago. I'm not exactly new to the forum, but I haven't really ever posted much. I figured its about time. I've learned a ton from this forum over the years just lurking about. Thought I'd say thanks!

I did a few track days about 5 years ago with a bunch of Forum members, but I was on my Ducati Monster... not exactly a great Track Bike... But I was hooked! I knew I needed a track bike as soon as I could afford one.

Since then I've been busy with school and have been away from the track for all of that time. Now I'm back! I bought my 16 Blue/Silver R1 new back in July of last year. I'd already pretty much planned my build out, but had to save up over the winter to make it happen. Special shout out to the wife who helped me save up to make it happen!

First thing purchased for the bike was a set of Cox Radiator Guards, and I took off all of the OEM reflectors.

Next up I put about 1500 street miles on her driving back and forth to work through the summer. Im lucky that one of the places I work (I have about 6 jobs...) has about a 45 min ride to work (in the cage, much shorter on the bike) on a nice curvy canyon type road! Man that rear tire wore out QUICK! had to replace it and just went with the stock RS10 for now. Put some Driven Captive Wheel Spacers on when I was changing out the rear tire. Also some lightech chain adjusters.

Here is the view out my window at work. Can keep an eye on my baby!

In Jan I contacted SUPERBIKE UNLIMITED to arrange for them to do the work on my bike. Freddy and Alex were AWESOME to deal with! I would recommend them hands down! They kept me informed of the progress on my bike, offered me very reasonable options, were very upfront about the cost, gave me fantastic advice and made the whole process stress free!!! I will absolutely be using them again in the future!

We agreed on the following parts:

Ohlins R&T forks
Ohlins TTX Rear Shock
Ohlins Steering Stabilizer

Brembo XA3B860 Monobloc Calipers
Brembo Billet 19X18 master
Vesrah SRJK pads
Braketech Iron Rotors
SBU Rear Rotor

Graves Full Exhaust
Evol Technology rearsets and clipons
520 chain
Woodcraft Engine Covers
Speed Cell Battery (I should go on a diet to loose weight, would be way cheaper than buying light parts for the bike!)

Of course had them Dyno and tune the bike!

Other random parts from STG:
StompGrip
Woodcraft Axle and frame sliders, and Spools

Before I sent her off to SBU for the build I got Andrew Swenson to paint me up some SharkSkinz plastics! He's Bad A$$!!! if anyone needs paintwork done, he's the man!

Just before I dropped her off at SBU they posted some pics of my parts!

Even sent me a video of her on the Dyno while she was there!! (exhaust flames are cool!)

Got some graphics done by DrippinWet, shipped direct to Andrew and he put them on for me after the paint dried.

Also talked Freddy out of his spare set of OEM wheels!

Here are all the OEM parts that came off!

Banky likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
VIR Track DAY!

This was my first track day weekend in about 4 years! And my first on the R1, so there was quite a bit of learning curve. First day was on the Patriot Course at VIR. Was alittle short for the big R1, but fun none the less!! Second day was on North Course, my favorite track. Had a blast with the EVOLVE GT folks!! They seem be be a great organization to ride with. On the second day I rode with several of the instructors, they gave me the bump to the intermediate group. I wasn't sure I wanted it, but they kinda talked me into it.

cyclepsycho7, 2muchbluE and Banky like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Got a trailer!!!

My wife and I have been looking at toy haulers for several years. We have a 6 month old son, and so we needed an air conditioned space for him to take naps and hang out while were at tracks like Road Atlanta or Barber in the middle of the summer. Had it built out with a 2nd ac to keep up with the summer heat in the south!!

We finally decided on a coachman 301BLDS bumper pull trailer. It seemed to have everything that we needed, but was light enough for me to pull safely with my F-150. My brother is going to be doing some track days with me so it needed to be able to sleep at least 4 people comfortably and carry 2 bikes, our pit bike, and all our gear. This thing seems to be perfect for our needs!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
A few more pics

heres a few more shots of the bike in the trailer!

cyclepsycho7 and stillfaster like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:30 AM
Gian11

Garage
awesome bike man. But what I´m really jealous about is that trailer! You should get a pitbull trailer restraint system and be gone with the bike tying up
DucDoc and DarkThrottle like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Actually, that the plan! only problem is that the bottom of my trailer is sealed up with this plastic, poster board / foam board material. So you can't easily get in there to work. I'm thinking i'm going to have to cut a big square out to do the install, and then seal it back up.

Anyone have any experience with this situation???
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:17 PM
2010 Are One

nice build! i've always wanted to do a thread like this but of course mine wouldn't be near as good lol
DucDoc likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Toonz! Thanks man, much appreciated. I have been planning on this for several years now. Ive been out of the track day scene for about 5 years while I was finishing up school and training. My wife is super supportive, she even tried to get me to buy a track bike before we got married, but then we wouldn't have been able to afford a honeymoon..... So we did the honeymoon thing, and then started saving back as soon as we got married for this whole project. I had my build list made before I even owned the bike! HAHA
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
First House

When we first got married, this was the little house we lived in for a while. It was basically one room and a bathroom/closet/laundry room. We did it so we could save money back for this whole project.

Like I said, my wife is super awesome and supportive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode