2016 R1 Track Build - Years In the Making - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Yamaha R1 + R1M Garage Space Share your Yamaha R1M builds and stories in here.

76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
2016 R1 Track Build - Years In the Making

Hello Everyone!

I posted in the new member forum a few weeks ago. I'm not exactly new to the forum, but I haven't really ever posted much. I figured its about time. I've learned a ton from this forum over the years just lurking about. Thought I'd say thanks!

I did a few track days about 5 years ago with a bunch of Forum members, but I was on my Ducati Monster... not exactly a great Track Bike... But I was hooked! I knew I needed a track bike as soon as I could afford one.

Since then I've been busy with school and have been away from the track for all of that time. Now I'm back! I bought my 16 Blue/Silver R1 new back in July of last year. I'd already pretty much planned my build out, but had to save up over the winter to make it happen. Special shout out to the wife who helped me save up to make it happen!

First thing purchased for the bike was a set of Cox Radiator Guards, and I took off all of the OEM reflectors.

Next up I put about 1500 street miles on her driving back and forth to work through the summer. Im lucky that one of the places I work (I have about 6 jobs...) has about a 45 min ride to work (in the cage, much shorter on the bike) on a nice curvy canyon type road! Man that rear tire wore out QUICK! had to replace it and just went with the stock RS10 for now. Put some Driven Captive Wheel Spacers on when I was changing out the rear tire. Also some lightech chain adjusters.

Here is the view out my window at work. Can keep an eye on my baby!

In Jan I contacted SUPERBIKE UNLIMITED to arrange for them to do the work on my bike. Freddy and Alex were AWESOME to deal with! I would recommend them hands down! They kept me informed of the progress on my bike, offered me very reasonable options, were very upfront about the cost, gave me fantastic advice and made the whole process stress free!!! I will absolutely be using them again in the future!

We agreed on the following parts:

Ohlins R&T forks
Ohlins TTX Rear Shock
Ohlins Steering Stabilizer

Brembo XA3B860 Monobloc Calipers
Brembo Billet 19X18 master
Vesrah SRJK pads
Braketech Iron Rotors
SBU Rear Rotor

Graves Full Exhaust
Evol Technology rearsets and clipons
520 chain
Woodcraft Engine Covers
Speed Cell Battery (I should go on a diet to loose weight, would be way cheaper than buying light parts for the bike!)

Of course had them Dyno and tune the bike!

Other random parts from STG:
StompGrip
Woodcraft Axle and frame sliders, and Spools

Before I sent her off to SBU for the build I got Andrew Swenson to paint me up some SharkSkinz plastics! He's Bad A$$!!! if anyone needs paintwork done, he's the man!

Just before I dropped her off at SBU they posted some pics of my parts!

Even sent me a video of her on the Dyno while she was there!! (exhaust flames are cool!)

Got some graphics done by DrippinWet, shipped direct to Andrew and he put them on for me after the paint dried.

Also talked Freddy out of his spare set of OEM wheels!

Here are all the OEM parts that came off!

Banky likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
VIR Track DAY!

This was my first track day weekend in about 4 years! And my first on the R1, so there was quite a bit of learning curve. First day was on the Patriot Course at VIR. Was alittle short for the big R1, but fun none the less!! Second day was on North Course, my favorite track. Had a blast with the EVOLVE GT folks!! They seem be be a great organization to ride with. On the second day I rode with several of the instructors, they gave me the bump to the intermediate group. I wasn't sure I wanted it, but they kinda talked me into it.

post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Got a trailer!!!

My wife and I have been looking at toy haulers for several years. We have a 6 month old son, and so we needed an air conditioned space for him to take naps and hang out while were at tracks like Road Atlanta or Barber in the middle of the summer. Had it built out with a 2nd ac to keep up with the summer heat in the south!!

We finally decided on a coachman 301BLDS bumper pull trailer. It seemed to have everything that we needed, but was light enough for me to pull safely with my F-150. My brother is going to be doing some track days with me so it needed to be able to sleep at least 4 people comfortably and carry 2 bikes, our pit bike, and all our gear. This thing seems to be perfect for our needs!

One2, APO2112, Banky and 2 others like this.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
A few more pics

heres a few more shots of the bike in the trailer!

post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:30 AM
Gian11

Garage
awesome bike man. But what I´m really jealous about is that trailer! You should get a pitbull trailer restraint system and be gone with the bike tying up
One2, DucDoc and DarkThrottle like this.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Actually, that the plan! only problem is that the bottom of my trailer is sealed up with this plastic, poster board / foam board material. So you can't easily get in there to work. I'm thinking i'm going to have to cut a big square out to do the install, and then seal it back up.

Anyone have any experience with this situation???
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:17 PM
2010 Are One

nice build! i've always wanted to do a thread like this but of course mine wouldn't be near as good lol
DucDoc likes this.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Toonz! Thanks man, much appreciated. I have been planning on this for several years now. Ive been out of the track day scene for about 5 years while I was finishing up school and training. My wife is super supportive, she even tried to get me to buy a track bike before we got married, but then we wouldn't have been able to afford a honeymoon..... So we did the honeymoon thing, and then started saving back as soon as we got married for this whole project. I had my build list made before I even owned the bike! HAHA
APO2112 likes this.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
First House

When we first got married, this was the little house we lived in for a while. It was basically one room and a bathroom/closet/laundry room. We did it so we could save money back for this whole project.

Like I said, my wife is super awesome and supportive.
One2, APO2112 and Vinny337 like this.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Pit-Bull TRS Install!

Alright guys, as promised... I installed the Pit-Bull TRS system this weekend. Was a bit of a pain in the A$$ because of the belly of the trailer being sealed up. But I think I got it figured out!

First up I got everything all lined up perfectly. Tried to imagine how much sway back and forth the bike would have and leave extra room so it wouldn't hit the wall. (Turns out it wiggles way less than I expected). Then I had to look at if from every angle and make sure I had it in exactly the correct spot! Its nerve racking drilling a hole in the floor of a brand new trailer!!!

Next I climbed underneath and scoped out that side of this whole project. A razor blade, some masking tape, and a steady hand and now we have a hole in underneath!

first 2 holes went perfectly without any trouble, except the pit-bull bolts were too short. Quick trip to lowes solved that problem. Number 3 caused me more trouble... the trailer isn't perfectly square (no RV is), and this L bracket is in there at a bit of an angle. Well, I caught it with one of the holes. So had to use a dremel tool and make some extra space for the nut to go on. A little black paint and problem solved!

I cut a piece of posterboard out about 3 inches larger than the hole. Had to use some jacks and blocks to hold the belly pan up flat so the posterboard would make contact all the way around. Got it all lined up and used some liquid nails (for plastic) and glued it into place. I'll glue the original piece into place tomorrow night.

And here are my supervisors!

Sabotage and One2 like this.
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 10:59 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

TRS is the only way to go. I don't think I could ever go back to straps.

Keep it coming. I'm enjoying this thread so far, and hope to be doing something similar in a few months.
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 12:02 AM
Chillin'

Garage

Subscribed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 08:14 AM
SBU - For all things fast!

Garage
Thanks for the shout-out! Excellent track rig as well. We had a lot of fun putting that one together.
DucDoc likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

along with

Lowest prices guaranteed!

2015 WERA National Superbike/CCS SE Unl GP/Unl Superbike Champions

Follow us!:
Facebook.com/SuperbikeUnlimited
Instagram.com/SuperbikeUnlimited
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 08:26 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
sub'd

YouTube Channel

Follow me on Instagram: @red_man_racing

Grateful for the assistance and support of my family and friends. But sometimes the line is blurred: meet Banky
My friend and sponsor.

Track Ambassador

Sponsored Rider

post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 08:51 AM
Unacceptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucDoc View Post

Got-DAMN that's a nice rig. Mad jelly.
bacchus40 and DucDoc like this.

Last edited by Hooli; 05-01-2017 at 09:02 AM.
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Talladega anyone???

No prob SBU!

Anyone going to Talladega GP this weekend? My bro and I will be there for both days! Our first track day together, and his first ever. Been looking forward to it for months.

Here's a shot of our bikes from when mine was brand new! He rides a Fz8. It now has fork internals, ohlins rear shock, new brembo brakes, and exhaust on it. I'm sure it has some other goodies too that I can't recall.
Hooli likes this.
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Hooli! Thanks!! Much appreciated!
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 11:07 AM
MonkeyMan #413

Wow - the bike and the trailer look great - good job! Looks like you've done some tasteful and well thought out upgrades to the bike and have hooked up with all of the right people to get them done!

Unfortunate that we weren't able to meet in person - I was at the Monday event on North riding my R1M and D675.

Incidentally, if you're interested in checking out another track day organization which rides many of the Southeast tracks I'd strongly suggest giving Performance Riding Experience a try. They're a really strong organization with many great people who have helped pave the way for fundraising for the soft barriers that in use at VIR, Road Atlanta and several other tracks in the area. You can find more info at www.ridepre.com and (so as to not completely hijack your build thread) additional info on PRE's participation and discount for the upcoming MotoAmerica round at VIR in May can be found in this thread MotoAmerica at VIR - May 12-14th

Again - great build and I hope to see you at the track some time soon!
APO2112 and gsa013 like this.

2015 R1M - Sicilian Racing #413
FTECU, SharkSkinz, Attack Performance, Woodcraft, Austin Racing, GB Racing, Lightech, Zero Gravity

Last edited by mjkuhno; 05-02-2017 at 11:40 AM.
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 12:21 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
Did my first track-day at the inaugural PRE event in 2014, they are good people.
mjkuhno likes this.

YouTube Channel

Follow me on Instagram: @red_man_racing

Grateful for the assistance and support of my family and friends. But sometimes the line is blurred: meet Banky
My friend and sponsor.

Track Ambassador

Sponsored Rider

post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 01:07 PM
The law is grey

Congrats on getting everything together. Bike looks great and so does the toy hauler. But i couldn't help but chuckle when reading through this thread. Please don't be offended.
Let me explain the chuckle. So you have done a few track days before right? You purchase a new R1 and without taking it to the track begin to mod the hell out of it right, spending $1000's upon $1000's?

I chuckle because your stock R1 would be more bike than you could handle on a track without needing any mods for your whole riding career unless you get heavy into racing.

I just think it is humorous when i see people like this at the track with all this bling on their bikes and they are super slow (not that i am fast or anything). They go overkill and never see the benefit to those mods. At least in terms of lap times. Slicks, tire warmers, brake pads, suspension set up (not replacement unless you are too heavy for the stock suspension and even then just some stiffer springs), protection bits (frame, case, and axle sliders), would be the only mods you want to do to your R1 and you would still be as "fast" as you will be on with the $1000's in mods you have. And what to do with all that money saved? More track time!!!

But nonetheless, at least you are taking your super bike to the track, unlike most owners. If you ever make it east to Jennings, FL let me know I will try to make it out there with you. Also Roebling Road, Road Atlanta, and Barber. We frequent these as tracks a much as possible. But we spend most of the track days at Jennings on Monday's (less people than the weekends).
APO2112 likes this.

2015- Yamaha R1- Red/White
2016- Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS- Blue/Black
2016- ZX10R KRT ABS- Green/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode