Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

17 R1M ECU locked in Mode D

8K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  andrewstclair 
#1 ·
After a decade on upgrading my trusty dedicated 99R1 track bike, I jut picked up a 2017 R1M.

Rode it home via a 90 mile detour - all great, actually better than great. Put it on my track stands and washed it. I ran it in 1st on the stands to de-water and lube the chain. Then I noticed that the ECU and display had become locked in Mode D with the CEL on but no fault code. I assumed that running it on the stands had confused the sensors so rode it for 10 miles. No joy.

Before I take it back to the dealer to look at it - any thougts?

#4 ·
Lol yeah I'm with Hooli on this one...it was pouring on the way back from PA with my bike in the bed of my truck and I even hit it with the pressure washer (at a distance) at work to knock the dust off of it zero issues...I also run it on the stand to clean and live chain and to cycle thru gears after every oil change and zero issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#13 ·
Lol yeah I'm with Hooli on this one...it was pouring on the way back from PA with my bike in the bed of my truck and I even hit it with the pressure washer (at a distance) at work to knock the dust off of it zero issues...I also run it on the stand to clean and live chain and to cycle thru gears after every oil change and zero issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
you might want to quit that before you end up with missing fingers.

#10 ·
Thanks, I will. :thumbup

And actually I do own a Duc. :lol The Multistrada gets washed and cleaned just like the R1 (I don't pressure wash, I use the hose, a bucketful of Meguire's Gold, a hand mitt sponge & good old elbow grease). Rinse, wash, chamois dry, detail mist and re-lube the chain before a ride to dry out anything I couldn't reach. :scoots:

Cheers! :drink:

#6 ·
I'm with superfly. I never use the hose. I do a wipe down after every ride and it never gets dirty. When I sold my R6 it looked brand new, and it was a 10 year old bike.

I'm guessing running it on the stand confused the computer. I know there has to be away around it, It would do the same thing on the dyno. If I was you I would just use it as an excuse to re-flash.

#7 ·
You guys are hilarious. I doubt it was the washing that caused the problem, more likely to be running it in gear on the stands - I think that confused the electronics.

I'm taking it in to Mach 1 on Friday but just hoping somebody else may have solved this issue and/or there was a quick fix.

#9 ·
You are correct, the new R1 ECU, along with many other new Yam ECUs has a very irritating trouble code system. We can clear them and presumably the dealer can as well. They are not like the old systems where the bike would effectively clear itself upon resolution of the trigger.

#30 ·
It doesn't usually do all that from the stands so it may be the work you did on it but a code reader and the adapter and you can clear the codes. This running it on the stand thing never ends I've seen this post a thousand times. What was even the purpose of running it ont he stand?

#31 ·
I guess I got lucky on my 05 R6 cause I usually let the engine run in first when I lube the chain, Never had an issue. But I haven't done it that way on my R1 cause I started just spraying and spinning the wheel a little lol

I wish my bike would say "HI" on the temp when I first start it every time lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.