Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Newbie R1 Owner - 5jj buildup

756 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Doppler 
#1 ·
Hello :)

Long time reader, first time poster. My name is Goofy, and I have a motorcycle addiction. It started many, many years ago. Throughout my time I have owned many a different bike, but you're most likely only interested in my first R1.

Here she is, when I picked her up

A little sorry looking to be honest, but purchased from a friend of a friend for a fair price. Story goes that it was crashed shortly after a gearbox rebuild due to the incorrect landing of a standup wheelie. The former skyward pointing nose was rather violently bought down to terra firma, causing the right hand fork seal to blow. Not that this concerned the temporarily flying previous owner at the time. This is how she looked shortly afterwards (The fork is undone due to an attempt at repairing forkseals in situ)

In any case, I got the 5JJ home, and set about the task of getting her back on the road.

The first thing that must happen when a new bike is bought home, is to have a beer with it.

Then it was on to de-clouding the headlights

Fairings were fitted to check for any sections that needed repair

Pillion seat re-covered

Exhaust can pulled apart

Fuel tank rust treated

Engine covers removed for powdercoat

So far, we're up to here:

Engine covers and exhaust caps back from powdercoat

At my mates workshop, waiting for paint

Start of fairings in colour

So that's where I'm up to. Hopefully in the next few weeks the bike will be ready to go, I'll keep the thread updated with pics as things happen :)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.