Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Hello from Northern Nevada

727 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Scuuuba_Steve 
#1 ·
Hows it going everybody,

Experienced rider here, been doing trackdays for a couple years, stepping up to a 2014 R1 (bought new from a dealer just a few months ago) from my old bike, an 04 GSXR 600 that I've been rocking for the past 4 years.

I've currently got 1500 miles on the bike, and am looking forward to doing my first trackday on it June 11th at Thunderhill on the full 5 mile course.

Presently the bike is pretty much stock save for some frame sliders and swingarm spool sliders. I did order a Yosh R-77 3/4 exhaust system for it (got a screaming deal on it for about $800 out the door); should get delivered tomorrow. Also bought the smog block-off plates. Got a lot of tuning questions which I'll save for the How-To section.

Can't wait to hear this girl sing though!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the kind words cyclepyscho7!

The R1 is by far the most AMAZING bike I have ever owned. I seem to be stuck on the blue and white colors when it comes to my bikes, although I did briefly own an 09 ZX6R that was super sexy in black and green.

Still waiting for my Yosh to arrive. Super psyched to get it installed and to really hear that crossplane growl.

Can't wait for June 11th to get here!

#5 ·
Thanks MotoMillion.

Got my Yosh installed yesterday...looks and sounds incredible. Haven't gotten the chance to ride it yet (been a little rainy out here lately), but I ran it for about 10 minutes in the garage and it revs out fine on the swingarm stand...occasional pop on decel, but nothing horrible. Haven't had the chance to install the smog block-off plates yet. Still have the oem air filter. Eventually would like to go the full-bore tune route of re-flash ECU, PC5, and Autotune to get the most performance (see this thread http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/224-09-14-performance-group/538026-ecu-flash-vs-pc5.html, but right now I can't really afford to spend anymore big money on the bike. I talked to Yosh on the phone, and the rep was kinda on the fence as to whether or not a fuel tune was necessary to get it to run right. My gut feeling is that it might be okay at Reno area elevation (about 4500 ft and higher), but it might run lean where it really matters-at Thunderhill, which is at 295 ft at it's lowest elevation. My problem is I won't really know how it runs at that elevation until I get there.

So it's time I start a thread in the 09-14 performance group.

#8 ·
Welcome man, and nice bike. A tune is always a good thing. Even a stock bike could use a PC5. The ECU flash should remove most, if not all of the decel popping. The ECU flash was by far the best investment I made as far as performance, and it was super cheap. It even made my exhaust sound louder and deeper, not sure how but probably from removing the restrictions.

#9 ·
Damn bro, your bike is ****ing sexy. I have a few questions (don't mean to hijack the thread).

How many inches did you drop the bike? Do you do wheelies? If so, is it harder since the bike is dropped? Did you use a guide for dropping the bike (how much did you lower the front and rear)? How does it feel riding over bumps (does it bounce alot)? What kind of tank cover is that?

#7 ·
Without a doubt that's a sick bike vferroni...my R1 is going to see a lot more street time than track time, so the Graves exhaust seemed a bit much in terms of sound output for my current needs. I am very happy with the improvement in sound and appearance over the stock system that the Yosh has given me. Just want to tune it so the bike runs smooth.

#10 ·
Welcome man, and nice bike. A tune is always a good thing. Even a stock bike could use a PC5. The ECU flash should remove most, if not all of the decel popping. The ECU flash was by far the best investment I made as far as performance, and it was super cheap. It even made my exhaust sound louder and deeper, not sure how but probably from removing the restrictions.
Thanks for the help Scuuba, sounds like the re-flash is my best option. I got on SBU's website, looks like they only charge $110 for a re-flash for my ECU. Totally reasonable. My problem is that I've only got a couple weeks before my trackday, and I want to ride my bike as much as possible before hand. Hmmmm, I've got to make a decision quick here...:serious:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.