How to wire your cooling fans on a switch easily - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
How To's Please post your detailed How To's threads in here. They'll be of big help to owners of the R1.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
YEC Reflash is awesome!

How to wire your cooling fans on a switch easily

I found a way on 07-08 R1's to wire the cooling fans on a switch so you can turn them on when you want and they will still turn on and off like on thier own like stock.

All you need is:
1. a couple feet of wire
2. a switch
3. a eyelet
4. 2 female spade connectors
5. a wire tap

First you need to remove your left side mid fairing to gain access to the fan relay. The relay is the black box, that is to the right and just below the fuse box with a 4 wire plug going into the bottom of it and thats all.

Next, out of the 4 wires leading into it, one will be green and yellow. This is the wire that trips the relay and turns the fans on. Take a piece of wire long enough to run from the green and yellow wire to where ever you want to mount your switch and use the wire clamp to clamp the wire for your switch to the green and yellow wire.

Now find a good ground. You can use any ground. I used the ground behind the windscreen that is for the instrument cluster. Run a piece of wire from the ground you chose to the location of the switch. Connect the wires to the switch with the 2 female spade connectors and your done.

Turn the key on and flip your switch on. The fans should come on.

Sorry for no pics. I did this today out of boredem. It turned out well though, so I decided to make a write up about it. Should be simple enough without pics though.

Last edited by dystortdreality; 11-06-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Just pass me already

I bought my 06 with this already done and I have to wonder why do it? Wouldnt the fans set to automatically come on when the engine hits a certain temp be better than having to do it manually?
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
YEC Reflash is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth84 View Post
I bought my 06 with this already done and I have to wonder why do it? Wouldnt the fans set to automatically come on when the engine hits a certain temp be better than having to do it manually?
They still come on automatically even if the switch is off. The computer just turns them on too late. Mine come on at 223 degrees and go back off at like 214. I don't like me or my bike getting that hot if I'm in traffic. I can keep it at cruising temp in traffic now (about 160). Plus its nice to have a little more control over what your bike does.
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Just pass me already

Quote:
Originally Posted by dystortdreality View Post
They still come on automatically even if the switch is off. The computer just turns them on too late. Mine come on at 223 degrees and go back off at like 214. I don't like me or my bike getting that hot if I'm in traffic. I can keep it at cruising temp in traffic now (about 160). Plus its nice to have a little more control over what your bike does.
Ah, I never let it get that hot. I flipped it on when it got to be 200 so I dont know when they come on naturally. It was wierd at first but I guess I'll get used to it quickly.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Fast Bikes fan #67

Nice, I was looking for this mod..
I add a manual fan switch to all my bikes.

Thank you!
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:30 PM
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

better solution would be to get a temp switch (you can usually find them for different temperatures) that you can run with an adapter tube in one of the large coolant lines running to the radiator. Rather than running a manual switch you just connect this sensor to a relay and have it trigger the fans.

-Ryan
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
YEC Reflash is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidyanazo View Post
Nice, I was looking for this mod..
I add a manual fan switch to all my bikes.

Thank you!
no problem. Glad somebody is getting some use out of my how to.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
YEC Reflash is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_ View Post
better solution would be to get a temp switch (you can usually find them for different temperatures) that you can run with an adapter tube in one of the large coolant lines running to the radiator. Rather than running a manual switch you just connect this sensor to a relay and have it trigger the fans.
Thats a good idea too. I like the heat in the winter time though... so its nice to let it heat up sometimes. Thats why I did a switch instead of a temp switch like you suggested.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:38 PM
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

I had a fan switch, used it rarely (when it was really hot out) and I agree that the heat is welcome in the winter. Should be able to source 200-210 degree thermo switches that would work year round (it can be difficult to cool the engine below 185F with the fans), it won't get too hot in the summer and it will get warm in the winter.

You could also add a manual switch inline with the sensor to enable or disable its function.

-Ryan
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Yamaha blue, in any color.

Send a message via Yahoo to DanQ
Nice. Hope to see the full writeup with pics.

Good mod for when you get stuck in city traffic or stuff like that. Especially after a hard run, sometimes the switch coming on of it's own accord is too late. I know putting a lower temperature switch on my FZR made a big difference, but I often think I'd be better off with manual control for when I know I am stuck stopped.

Signature by SpidermanSS. Thanks Shane!

Dan
R1-016 'Venom' Squadron Member
CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 Vmax 20th Anniversary 98 of 2000
04 Road Star Warrior

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
YEC Reflash is awesome!

Yeah I like having the switch. And my fans will keep the bike cooled to about 165 on a hot day.
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 07:10 AM
-.-- .- -- .- .... .-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_ View Post
Think I seen some on e-bay, maybe even have p/n list of them. Will have to check later.. They just replace the stock one.

Some nice ideas here too:

HOW TO: 04-06 R1 Radiator Fan Override Switch
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 12:06 PM
I eat my R1

Question

Anybody done this to a 2009?
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 10:36 AM
she said 'do I race'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Pistol View Post
Anybody done this to a 2009?
+1
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
YEC Reflash is awesome!

I haven't done it to an 09 but it should work just the same...
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:31 PM
I eat my R1

Yeah,Since my last post I looked into it on the 2009. The relay is the same.
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 07:17 PM
she said 'do I race'

Sweet....I had someone telling me I had to tap into the temp sensor to do this!!! Have you tried to find that???? What a tight cluster f that is. It literally had me saying NO to this mod. Thankx for the quick/easy how to, the relay is way easy to get to. Just tap into the green/yllw like you said huh??,,,,damn that's pretty simple
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 07:24 PM
I eat my R1

I live in scorching FL and have never had a need to manually turn my fans on/off on my '08

Concours14 (people always ask mileage, its over 85,000 already)
KTM 530 EXC - for the ADVenture riding
ZX9R - restored to pristine
ZZR600 - my girl is learnin'
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
YEC Reflash is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
I live in scorching FL and have never had a need to manually turn my fans on/off on my '08
I live in fl too. The temps are fine going done the road... its when i get caught in traffic in town and it stays in the 200+ degree range. Even once the engine temp returns to the normal 160 the frame is still hotter than hell where my legs touch it. Since I put the switch in I always turn the fans on when it hits 180 and it cools down into the low 170's and will stay there till I turn the fans off. No more hot frame and its much nicer in traffic.
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 08:45 PM
she said 'do I race'

dysto....what type of switch btw? I have one but am not satisfied....it has light but don't think it's water proof?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode