Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best year of R1 and why?

90K views 106 replies 72 participants last post by  stan1 
#1 ·
I hope to be in the market sooner than later this year to get an R1 to add to my stable, and was curious on your thoughts/opinions on what year is the best and why?

I hope this doesn't start a flame war or anything, I just genuinely want to know.

Thanks all,
Dustin :rock

#71 ·
04-06, no questions.
No issues with the mid range like the 07-08 had.
It is by far the best looking (IMO the 07-08 they took it to aggressive but its still sexy).
Its an all around great bike.

But really, you cant go wrong with ANY R1 there all the tits!

#78 ·
'02-'03
yea i said it, big whoop, you wanna fight about it

#81 ·
Ive rode 00s, 06s, 07s, ZX10s and the 07 is my weapon of choice. Not because I have one but overall the bike is easy to ride. My 07 was faster than all of those bikes.

04-06 look great but an 07-08 will still rock it.

I have not rode a 2009-11 but I cant see how it could be faster with less engine. Yeah they have more torque but so did my 2000 R1.

#99 ·
I have not rode a 2009-11 but I cant see how it could be faster with less engine. .
i dont understand how you arrive at your conclusion..

in my opinion the 09 engine is the best thing to come out of japan, period..
the difference is in the puddin'.. and there's plenty of it to go around :saw:

its not about top speed, i dont think yamaha is interested in that.. its more about rider control and getting all that damned HP down on the ground!

this thread is endless, but thats my :dollar:fact

#82 · (Edited)
the 07-08 r1 and not cause i own it i have driven every model and its the most consitinte i mean look yamaha finally perfected that design and now they moved on to the crossplane crank shaft that should tell you the 07- 08 is perfect no need to change it anymore on to the next one we have to wait another 8-10 years for the next perfect r1 i cant wait to see it

#87 ·
07-08 with a -1 front sprocket puts it on par with the 09+ gearing.

My bike changed a good bit doing that simple $40 mod. Now the midrange "Feels" better.
Just ordered a set of Scorpion carbon slip ons and a PC3 to go with my catless mid pipe and K&N. After a dyno tune I suspect I'll be in the 162-167RWHP range. The 07-08 have an amazing top end hit like a two stroke when it gets on the pipe, but is an easy cruiser around town and the side streets.

Get in the twisties and it's easy to control, and does without the power reduction in lower gears applied to the later years (09+)

I Love mine.

Plus it looks the best IMO

#88 ·
i like the 09-10, alot of good innovations and have rode every generation R1, but the 07-08 has been the best overall so far, and not cause i own one either....the 09 is probably a bit easier to ride fast around the track, but it doesn't feel to hefty considering the little extra weight....and it is deceiving because of the smooth powerband

07-08 has the strongest motor out of all of them :fact

plus the 07-08 suspension is probably the firmest out of the box

I went just one tooth up in the back, ditched the cats for an aftermarket y pipe, and mapped FI controller, and midrange is alive....just dead below 4k RPMs but who really rides there....

the chassis on 04-up is leaps and bounds ahead of anything earlier, the early ones required alot of ability to ride fast...

I'm actually still scared of a 98-03 :hammer: I would like to add a nice one to the collection one of these days, a real brute :fact

#92 ·
I've been interested in it long ago just for my interest because I like the view of R1. I didn't have an opportunity to test every year of R1, but one evening I asked people who had: 'What is the best year of R1?' After a short period of silence they all answered: '08'. I asked - Why, and got the answer: 'Because... it's reliable...'
Practically judging I would buy later year anyway because every year it gets harder and harder to find good 04 and even 06, as you buy 04 or 06 ( if you have an opportunity, there's no reason to buy earlier ages such as 03..) you'll be eager to have 07 or 08 for sure.

#93 ·
I have a 2004 R1.. IMO the best model is the 07-08.. Two reasons.. 1) More power and tourqe then any other R1... 2) LOOKS!!! To me it looks the best compared to the 09-10 ones... Sleekness and everything...

#98 ·
I had a 2000. It was my first big bike and so far it had the most torque. I have had a lot of big bikes since and so far the only one that came close was my 2005 gsxr 1000. It was not stock but it was a monster too. I recently traded it for my 2007 R1 so I guess wee will see if the 07 lives up to what the 2000 felt like. I like the FI bikes over the carb ones but I would say look at all the body styles and pick one. They were all great bikes. Look at what you have to spend and see what that will get you. I really like my 07 and the color (candy red) is a nice change to the other bikes I have had.

#102 ·
I've owned '05, '02 and '99 R1's, the best of that lot IMO is the one I still own, the '99.

#105 ·
Almost agree with that. But I think the 07-08 has the greatest performance potential. At least in my opinion. I didn't like the looks until later machines came out.

#107 ·
I have an 07 and the 09. The 09 is the best one IMO.

Stan

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.