Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FINALLY - Dyno before and after - Graves Velocity Stacks R1 09

27K views 53 replies 15 participants last post by  NoxImus 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a R1 2009 as a track bike. For years we (R1 09-12 riders) have been waiting for some documentation from Graves to give us some facts for their velocity stacks. They have literarily been giving us smoke screens and avoided to give proper answers. Their behavior has been arrogant by my opinion.

Those who have bought the stacks, installed them have just said it made a difference – but never given us some dyno charts.
Tired of waiting for proper answer, from otherwise a good supplier, I got hold of some used stacks.
I installed them and today I dyno'ed before and after.

Below you can see the result.

Some info:
It’s the same engine, same dyno, same temp etc. The only difference is velocity stacks.

The spec for the engine is given to me by Pete Beale from UK, and I have promised not to disclose it. So please don’t ask.
I got tired of tuners destroying my engine, therefore I build the engine myself – every single piece.
Edit: Hired the dyno and fuel tuned it myself :)

Enjoy J

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: ChrisN03R1
#2 ·
Nice ! ThankYou ! 5.1hp ? Uppers and lowers ? What rpm crossover point (lifting) ?

#6 ·
Thanks again,got to get mine installed and reflash ecu to raise them at 10,500. 5hp is pretty stout!

#9 ·
Any fueling changes necessary ?

#14 ·
I have spent the whole day on the dyno adjusting fueling.

My starting fuelmap became my ending fuelmap!
So both runs have identical fuelmap.

AFR target 12.8 during acceleration and 13.1 on 100% Throttle. It seem that the R1 09-11 likes to be run rich and not too lean.

Anybody else have experience on other AFR Targets?

#16 · (Edited)
#18 ·
I already have the lowers (not in yet),now I'm ordering the uppers as well. Was eventually going to add them,but now they will be a very near future purchase. Great to hear the results of these finally. They are very expensive because not many are ever made at one time, and the R&D behind them too I would imagine.

#19 ·
probably someone will ask:

No race fuel, pump gas.
We have 98 octane on pump! :)

Compared with 85 octane available as pump gas some places 98 is close to race fuel :)

#21 ·
did you use the maps I sent you as well .
the YEC bellmouth kit would have maybe been even better . but it seems quite good . NOW GO AND ENJOY IT . you were lucky . i dont normally give out specs . must have caught me in a good mood LOL ( unusual )
Pity these bikes are not still in wsb . But we are building a CRT GP bike with one of these engines . will try and get someone to upload my pics .

#22 ·
Don't worry Pete he's not giving up your secrets,yet. :sing: Good Work guys ! :fact

#26 ·
Like jetting carbs !

#32 ·
Now we all want 190+hp crossplanes :rant

Reactions: ChrisN03R1
#33 ·
It's a good question; I believe that there are someone on this site who has installed these stacks on a standard engine.[/QUOTE]

I will test mine and report findings in a few months on mine. :thumbup

#35 ·
Most likely YEC race ecu. YEC is Yamaha's racing arm like HRC is to Honda.

#37 ·
OP 10,500 switchover point for the uppers? I have the graves uppers and lowers going in this week and was told 10,200 RPM on the stock motor. Can you tell us where you got that 10.5k switchover point from? I have to send my ECu off this week for flashing so I really need to know!

#39 ·
OP 10,500 switchover point for the uppers? I have the graves uppers and lowers going in this week and was told 10,200 RPM on the stock motor. Can you tell us where you got that 10.5k switchover point from? I have to send my ECu off this week for flashing so I really need to know!
A full day on dyno to get the best result today.:)

I made 2 runs on every 100 RPM increase.
Starting with 10.100 to 10.700, I got the best torque/hp curve at 10.500

Edit: I presume that may vary from different engines. Default in YEC ECU is 10.200

#40 ·
I was told 10,500 as well,directly from Chuck Graves himself. Check the Graves site and ck. the forum,I asked the same question a few months ago and Charles Graves was the first to reply with the answer. Flashtune or Eculeashed based drjak ? If you live near anyone with the F/T interface I'm sure they'd be happy to do yours for a few :beer:beer even mail it to them.

#42 ·
Good to see you quantified what we all felt with the graves stacks. 10,500 swithover ahhh. I had mine flashed to 10,200. Time to relfash. How much of a difference did you see from the to swithing points from 10,200 and 10,500?

#45 ·
Good to see you quantified what we all felt with the graves stacks. 10,500 swithover ahhh. I had mine flashed to 10,200. Time to relfash. How much of a difference did you see from the to swithing points from 10,200 and 10,500?
I cannot recall the exact numbers on each RPM setting, to many runs and result to keep all data. All of them was very much the same until opening point.

I cannot explain way, but top end power went down 0.7-1.5 HP on other settings than 10.500 RPM.

#47 ·
Just deleted that question,Thanks for replying.

#51 ·
beautiful curves!! I bet Pete has more than a "few" hours in the head! plus gotta be running the YEC springs as you can't put any cam in them with stock springs... but some GOOD specs out there... especially if you can get the intake >250 duration and >10.4mm lift :D power is all in the top end of these things from what i have seen/done.. head's a mess stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.