Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Show us your Chicken Strips

276K views 3K replies 241 participants last post by  Smitty965 
#1 ·
Hey guys, post pix of your chicken strips....:rock

#394 ·
Damn a few things going on here....it is kind of a tricky question since there are a few things happening at once.

Heres a hint. That tire has 5 races with stock 5 year old, never serviced suspension. It is also a Medium tire overall.

Maybe DanQ should pop in now and give the full explanation :sing:

#395 ·
Why? I've been enjoying watching this conversation turn into a technique debate. The thread hasn't gone gay, or become filled with so many half dressed women that I can't bring up the thread on my work computer :fact

Besides, JonnyRocket is very correct in pointing out that technique must be adjusted, AND consistent for any adjustments to ever be any good. And you know first hand having been at the track with me how infrequently I make adjustments. But often people are looking for a tweak after every session, or any time the bike does something out of the ordinary. I try to only adjust when a rider is consistently moving at a given pace and experiencing the same chassis events on the track.

#396 ·
Well it was more for us to get a full explanation, if i tried it wouldn't be complete even though you told me already what the issues are.

I just posted that mainly to bring the thread back up and also to show something different for everyone to learn.

And unless youre at a steady pace i totally agree with you, otherwise its pointless since you would probably be still learning the bike/track

#399 ·
All right, lets see if someone....besides DanQ :lol ... can explain what happened here.

The back part of the groove has gone inward as you can see me pointing it out in one of the pictures.
Well, you tires are more of a case study, and we've had a lot of talks about them. The main points of focus are:

• 5 year old shock absorber
  • weight outside of the spring/damping ideal weight
  • you are getting fast as snot, and need some adjustability
The problem with the age of the shock is in the fact that with 5 year old oil, there can never be 100% accurate damping. The damping speeds will be inconsistent throughout the travel range as the shock moves. This alone can have the rear fighting for traction. This can be fixed with a simple service with new fluid, seals, bushings etc (typically around $150 or so). New oil = new life.

The weight outside the spring and damping range. This is going to cause the damping speeds to again be outside of ideal, with some of the adjustments at or close to maximum setting. Now combined with the age, this is an easy fix, adding about $100 for a spring and about $200(ish) for custom valving, to the service listed above and you have a fresh shock, properly sprung and damped for you. This is a really good approach and would make for a good shock absorber within the adjustment capabilities of the stock shock, with custom tuning for your weight and riding preferences.

With you becoming faster, there are multiple issues. Your traction needs are going to increase, as well as lean angles and corner entrance/exit speeds. The damping requirements for a novice are going to be very different than an expert. An aftermarket shock would be able to handle a wider range of riding demands, with features like high speed compression damping, adjustable ride height combined with a spring and damping curve set for the riders weigh and preferences.

In my opinion, the advantage of a replacement shock in your case is primarily the ride height adjustment. While ride height can be changed by shimming the shock (it's been done that way for years) it's way easier and more granular with an adjustment for ride height. Combined with high speed damping it will give you the needed adjustment range to keep your tire in contact with the ground for most conditions you'll encounter between services (about once every year or two).

#414 ·
Well whoever this chris guy is.. I wanted to share with you that I'm going to cheat on my gf with your bike.. And you've earned this...

And if I ever could over ride Apple, cause I don't think I'd wanna work for them.. I'd make that photo a default to choose as a wallpaper.. for every single Apple Device, because I CAN'T get enough of that ass...

#420 ·
hey burnz if you ever need a replacement on your mono-tail..which i hope you never do..i just ordered a durbahn monoque for my 1098r..i think they make one for r1 as well..mine was about $1800 shipped...jus to let u know ..just in case..and btw it looks like you need another photo shoot for your cover shoot!..lol good work again!

#432 ·
this is bad huh? Wonder how far I can get. I still had a couple of mm of strip left!
That's not going to help traction much. I'd remove it. Maybe a click of rebound damping too :dunno