Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface

2M views 13K replies 451 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 ·
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

Here are the tuneable features for the 07-08 R1:
-Fuel table bias (ECU uses a MAP vs RPM and a TPS vs RPM table for fueling, the bias adjusts how much each table contributes to the final value used to control the injectors.)
-TPS vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-MAP vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-TPS vs RPM Ignition map (per gear)
-Engine braking
-YCCT APS vs RPM throttle maps (not directly edittable, can choose between two preset maps: stock and "race")
-Fan temps (stock or 205*F on, 195*F off)
-Immobilizer Operation (Normal or Bypassed)
-Yes, you can import .djm PCIII maps into the software, the software then scales the fuel maps for flashing the ECU just like the PCIII does.

Flashtune does claim to be actively expanding the software to allow for other adjustments as well.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the YCCT maps and the 1st and 6th gear ignition maps.

Attachments

See less See more
#9,590 ·
I have the 09-11 interface....sorry...Simone else will have to....what about the r6 forum...do they have a thread like this one you could ask in?

#9,591 ·
No i don't think so. Honestly I'm not worried about it, I don't mind paying what SBU wants because they will map it as well. I'm probably gonna send them my ECU and have them do a ECU QS as well, along with a map for exhaust and w/e. I'm not planning on doing any serious motor modding or power adding.

#9,592 ·
Hey Tad, just following up from last week. I re-flashed the bike with 5.3.0 using the old version on the FT software and the 7-8K hesitation issue went away. I put a lot of miles on her Friday with 2 races on Saturday and bike ran well. Did you find anything with the 5.3.15? The 5.3.0 is a very good map, but the 5.3.15 seemed a little smoother! Thanks!!

#9,595 · (Edited)
Not sure why it would do that, because it should only be powered up when the interface is writing to it which puts it in a very different mode. My bike does not have any error codes in it after flashing.....I am :confused: by this claim....

#9,597 ·
What does F-T have to say about that? I would have expected that they have tested and fixed that for 12+.....It worked fine in the past...at least I thought it did....didn't it?

#9,598 ·
According to Chris @ Flash-Tune, the 12+ images does not change any code in the TC. That part of the assembly code is left untouched. There is nothing wrong with the TC, and it works as it's supposed to... There are a lot of variable that come into play as to why TC engages so much on that track (track conditions, tire compound, tire pressure, tire temp, gearing ratio, wheelies, etc.) I just found it best to run without it to ensure I'm getting full power from the motor :dunno

#9,599 · (Edited)
Right, but when changing the gearing how close do you need to be with the speedo correction factor....because if you do nothing, putting down the road upright makes it go nuts...I can believe that on the lowest setting it is just doing wheelie control, but I have been told that the wrong speedo correction can cause severe engagement at slow speeds under cruise conditions... can you clarify that for us?

For example, do you need to include the 6% stock speedo offset in the applied correction factor? Our should that be left out?

#9,600 ·
Here's a suggestion and something I just did. I have a '12 and just dropped my gearing both front and rear. I also added new rotors which had a huge impact on the TC. So anyway, I went to 12 o'clock labs and entered their corrections into the FT software. Flashed it. But, with the addition of the rotors, the T/C sensor was way to close to the rotor, making the T/C way too sensitive. I went to ACE hardware and in their plumbing section I found a 1mm spacer for use over the T/C sensor as well as the bolt holding it in the housing. I put those in and backed the sensor away about 1mm and the T/C works just fine now. I actually think it works better as I had to lower the T/C setting another notch. I might try backing it another 1mm out, but so far it is working great! I got that idea from GreenStreak. I doubt tires would have anything to do with it.

#9,601 ·
Well that it's a separate issue....only a gear change would not be solved by that solution.

#9,603 ·
I did..and I am still :confused...don't really understand why I don't have that issue...
I should have my O2 sensor in a few weeks....so maybe I will know more then....

#9,606 ·
To be honest I haven't really been testing with anything other than with the OEM O2 sensor switched on, so it could be compensating for a rich/lean spot in the fuel map
automatically and I would not see the stumble.....still don't know how it would be there, as the two images ( 5.3.0 &5.3.15 ) are identical below 20% TPS....

Which O2 sensor did you decide on?
SySt is selling me his LC-1 and O2 sensor...

#9,607 ·
To anyone who has had the F-T software installed on thier machine for a while...

What versions do you have on your computer?

I have the newest, 1.5.4.3 and 1.2.2.0

I am looking for other versions to check the idle....To where it was ok, and where it went bad...

#9,609 ·
#9,612 ·
Worth a try....I will figure out what needs to get zipped up and pm my email address to you.

#9,614 ·
Just throwing out a thought here, let me know if any of you think it makes sense.

If installing a 3/4 exhaust system results in a significant reduction of backpressure and leads to a fluctuating idle then would it be possible to simply increase the backpressure at idle by using the EXUP valve? If so then theoretically couldn't we leave all of the idle settings stock and just adjust the EXUP valve to simulate the stock exhaust's backpressure, and in turn eliminate the fluctuating idle?

That's my thought process, is there any reason this wouldn't work?

#9,618 ·
Not all of us feel the need for a full system. How is this a band aid at all? Using the ECU's ability to modify the exup position when in gear and under no throttle between 0-2000rpm? Are you telling me that the only logical solution is to ignore the exup valve and it's map completely? Seems silly when it plays a key role in increasing backpressure. A good map would take into account every aspect of the ECU's control, not just air, fuel, and timing.

I'm going to try it and post up the results.

#9,619 · (Edited)
The "exhaust ultimate power valve" does create back pressure to give you more low end torque, that I won't deny. What I'm saying is that its silly that a stable tune cannot be created without it. I'm not sure if its the tuners inability to figure out a way to do it, or if its just easier to use the exup valve, though people look to remove it. Whatever tickles your pickle, go for it. Post up results, hopefully they're positive.

Just kind of sucks to say, you're stuck with your exup.

Side note, I had zero issues tuning my buddies 2012 R6 with the ex up removed. :fact

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#9,620 ·
Let's remember that we're not comparing apples with apples here...
A full system (high flow) is for race conditions - keeping the revs around max. engine power which is in the top end - obviously.
A road ridden bike is seldom going to spend much timer revving like that and so bikes come with a more restricted system - in this case including the EXUP valve to try to get a bit of both worlds - a free'er system for revs and a bit of restriction for low end torque.
Riders using their bikes for racing and / or plenty of track days will get the performance advantage from a full race system - and probably wouldn't mind a higher than standard idle, where a constant road rider is going to soon get sick of his bike revving it's head off while sitting at the lights and while doing lots of low speed maneuvering.
Full race system on a road bike - necessary? I think not.
Getting rid of the cat and some pipes for noise? more than adequate! I removed about 4kg doing that.

Just my 2c.

#9,623 ·
I run 93AKI pump gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.