Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface

2M views 13K replies 451 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 ·
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

Here are the tuneable features for the 07-08 R1:
-Fuel table bias (ECU uses a MAP vs RPM and a TPS vs RPM table for fueling, the bias adjusts how much each table contributes to the final value used to control the injectors.)
-TPS vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-MAP vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-TPS vs RPM Ignition map (per gear)
-Engine braking
-YCCT APS vs RPM throttle maps (not directly edittable, can choose between two preset maps: stock and "race")
-Fan temps (stock or 205*F on, 195*F off)
-Immobilizer Operation (Normal or Bypassed)
-Yes, you can import .djm PCIII maps into the software, the software then scales the fuel maps for flashing the ECU just like the PCIII does.

Flashtune does claim to be actively expanding the software to allow for other adjustments as well.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the YCCT maps and the 1st and 6th gear ignition maps.

Attachments

See less See more
#9,770 ·
Yes, as I said before, the idle function only seems to be broken in the crossplane R1 ECU images...

#9,771 ·
#9,773 ·
I could use some help. I bought the new interface with a bench flashing kit and I can not get it to connect

ive updated my computer, made sure firewall was off, downloaded the drivers, im stumped

and whats with this cycle key on off and on

since im using the bench flashing kit, im starting with it unplugged, plug in when it says cycle key on, unplugging when it says cycle key off, and replugging when it says cycle on

I checked there is 12v at the connector so its not the power supply, I am really frustrated

is there something with that im missing, thanks for any help

#9,775 ·
I would just say that you should just plug it in on the second one... I have never had that style interface....

Does it work when it is all plugged up to the bike, in the permanent install configuration?

Tad,
I have also have an autotune. What are you using for your target afr tables? Thanks in advance and the newest flash you made is absolutely incredible. Thank you for all you do.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I will just be logging my AFRs, so I can use the info to tuning the image in an iterative fashion, and I can choose what data points to use and put into the fuel map.

In short, somewhere between 13 and 13.5... At least that is what I am going to try first...We will see what the testing brings...

#9,774 ·
Tad,
I have also have an autotune. What are you using for your target afr tables? Thanks in advance and the newest flash you made is absolutely incredible. Thank you for all you do.

#9,778 ·
No but it would be better with block off plates. I believe it will still leak a little if you just disable AIS. Plus it would clear some room out if you remove the AIS and save some weigh.

#9,780 ·
I loaded the latest 5.3.15.5 map yesterday to give it a try. I was noticing some hesitation around 7-8k rpm range with the 5.3.15. I loaded it up gave it a run around the block, the hesitation was still here. I had to go back to the 5.3.0 map. Still a great map, but wondering what that hesitation could be in the newest ones?

#9,783 · (Edited)
Odd....When I get the O2 sensor running we will see if there is a rich or lean hole there. I must confess that I don't really feel it. Can you make a video of it? I need to get a handle on the conditions under which it happens... I didn't see it when I was at VIR, but due to the damp and cold conditions, I couldn't really testify it wasn't there...:dunno..as anything more than gentle would make the rear walk around and get squirrely...

Tad, I forgot the idle is AWESOME!!!!!! and are we going to see a 6.0 soon or just a tweak 5.3.16 LOL
Once I start doing my own logging, there will be a v6...

Do you see/feel BlocER1's flat spot?

When i got my flashtune interface a few months back i came across a problem simalar to yours, wont connect could not find ecu ect...spent over 4-5 hours trying to find out what the problem was.Emailed flashtune about the problem but no respond...Came across the problem by LUCK!!.the ORANGE wire from the flashtune hardness was not in all the way and the fastener witch claps the wire to the pin was not clamped close therefore the pin was in but the wire out.

Advise to all....if you do come across something like this pull-check GENTLY all the wires from the ft hardness to make sure they are secured proberly to the pins.

Hope this helps....
Good info...

#9,785 ·
Anyone having idle issues with FT version 2.0.1.2 for 2008 R1?
When I come to a stop from a high rpm and clutch in, my bike will stall.

Using FT Map: 2008 R1 - 4C8-8591A-60(Generic) - Pump 91+.ftm (Importing PCV Map Over it)
Idle Setting:

Anyone having idle issues with FT version 2.0.1.2 ?
When I come to a stop from a high rpm and clutch, my bike will cut off.

Using FT Map: 2008 R1 - 4C8-8591A-60(Generic) - Pump 91+.ftm (Importing PCV Map Over it)
Idle Setting:
Anyone having idle issues with FT version 2.0.1.2 ?
When I come to a stop from a high rpm and clutch, my bike will cut off.

Idle Setting:

#9,795 ·
No issues with 2.0.1.2 version. I set my idle speed warmup map +3 throughout the whole map 18 to 21....15 to 18....13 to 16....hilight the whole map and then use the +/- top left to go up in 1 increments. When i start up cold it will hold 2000rpm up until it gets to 48 celcius and will drop to 1500 rpm and will hold that rpm throughout,Also ETV idle comp,highlight from 16 to 96 and add with +/- 1up.I have the sap pressure comp the same as yours..In the ECU setting the ETV use in gear idle should be TRUE.

#9,786 ·
Can you put a picture of the neutral timing curve up?

#9,787 ·
Thanks Tad

#9,788 ·
Well, I meant the ignition timing map for the neutral gear....

#9,789 ·

I hope this is right.

#9,790 ·
Odd....that doesn't look bad...:dunno

#9,791 · (Edited)
I notice I idle just a hair under 1000 rpm. Tad I was thinking about bumping the idle up a bit. What do you think?

Before:

Atfer:

#9,792 · (Edited)
Try a bit more like 16 it 18...the bike should idle at like 1200 or higher. Jamie posted an picture of his 08 image a few months back and I think it was like 20's in the cells?

#9,794 ·
So I copied Jaime's idle map from FT ver. 1.2.2.0.

Jaime's FT ver 1.2.2.0

Copy to FT ver 2.0.1.2

Tad do I need to make any changes to these?

#9,797 ·
Hey tad, had a chance to finally test your 5.3.15 this past weekend and I must say wow, it was my first time flashing the bike, before I was regretting buying the planker but after testing it out after the flash all those regrets went out the door, thanks for the effort and time you put into the development of the maps.

#9,798 ·
I haven't had any maps from Tad but man I've got to say just from reading these post alone I'm happy to see him here and dude, Tad, your an important part if this forum for what you've done along with others like Andrew. Thank you guys seriously from the bottom of my heart. I know I'm still fairly new here to the forum but I do appreciate the generosity you display. Big praise man!!!

#9,800 ·
Anyone have any experience with how the speedo-healing part of flash tune works?

I've read some threads about how a speedohealer (spliced into the bike) will decrease the bike's performance on the 07+ R1's (I'm assuming this is also the case on 09+ R1's).

At one point I had my speedo set to 95% to remove the factory 5-7% speedo error but I felt like the bike didn't have as much grunt for some reason (this was way before I ever knew the connection between speedohealer's and decreased performance on 07+ R1's), so I removed it and changed my fuel map at the same time, noticed an increase in performance again. I just figured that the performance gain came from the slightly adjusted fuel map, but now I'm wondering whether it actually had to do with the speedo-healing aspect of flash tune.

Anyone else know if the flash tune speedo-healer will decrease the performance of the bike?

#9,802 ·
Anyone else know if the flash tune speedo-healer will decrease the performance of the bike?
It has to do with the ram air calculations. If the bike thinks you're going a different speed than you are it won't adjust the fuel properly.

The only reason I know this is that someone had me set their speedo WAY off for a court case (onboard video said they were going 200km/h, but really they were only going 100km/h. I tuned the ECU so the court appointed mechanic could verify his speedo was "that far off", he got off no problem) and oh man did the bike run like poo when I did that!! I set it back to his -1/+2 setup and boom, performance was right back.

To answer your question, no, I don't think you'd notice much performance difference when calibrating your speedo (with speedohealer or flash-tune) because it's such a small change. When I went from stock to -2/+2 I noticed the AFR in my Autotune was off slightly, but figured that was from lighter engine loads at the same throttle/gear position as stock, but it sure could have been from the ECU calculating the ram air incorrectly. I flashed the speedo correction with flash-tune and cleared my autotune trim table and let it build a new map, bike is a monster.

-Jamie M.

#9,803 ·
:shake....Why did you just admit to perjury....

Also, I don't think it uses it to compute ram air, it should use the air pressure sensor in the plenum for that....:dunno

#9,804 ·
I didn't testify, just did the ECU. It was up to him to tell the truth :)

Yeah, no clue. Because it made such a difference on his bike I assumed the bike must use the speedo to calculate something for the bike. I assumed it was ram air, but it makes more sense to use the intake air pressure sensor. I thought I remember reading somewhere it's only used it at idle, but that could have been the atmospheric pressure sensor.

-Jamie M.

#9,805 ·
I know it uses speed/RPM to determine gear for choosing the fuel/throttle/ign/etc maps that are gear based...So when it gets way out of the allowable value, maybe it goes into limp home mode?

#9,807 ·
Just figured I would put in my .02. From what Ive found or come to believe is that when you say for example- gear it way down, it results in higher RPM at lower speeds, but when you add other variables in like increased throttle, yada yada, this puts the map tables into the "I need more timing advance" thinking, and vise versa. Ive been using Innovate loggers on different bikes and have logged / reviewed some charts in the past with these same questions in mind about gearing issues. The one thing that Ive noticed that stands out to me at least is timing variations that get really ugly. Im sure Im just 1 perspective, but it makes sense to me.

#9,806 · (Edited)
Forgive me if this has been asked, but doing a search containing flash-tune and quick shifter yielded me a ton of results containing both. When installing the bike side harness on the 09-11, I have to remove the wire I ran to the ECU that enables the quickshifter. Am I just reconnecting it to the orange wire that I have to insert from the harness?. I havent gotten into it yet but it rang a memory while I was reading the pinout. In theory if I remember correctly, this is just a ground being made to enable the quick shifter right?? after thinking about it, this ground is going to be intermitted when normally being used by the quick shifter only being activated by shifting depending on how you have the NO or NC set up on the flash. so, I guess Im asking do I give up the quickshifter or maybe I need to put a toggle switch in the loop to switch for when Im in flashing mode??

#9,808 · (Edited)
:confused:...I am pretty sure someone posted the proper install instructions for using the QS with the bike mounted harness. It works without adding anything, I think.

I think that the basic idea about the ground wire, is that it is only grounded when the interface is plugged in for flashing. When the interface is unplugged, that wire is not grounded, so when the QS sensor is added in parallel, the QS functions as normal... At least that is my understanding if how it works...:dunno...Someone please correct me...

I know someone in this thread posted instructions, find them and you will have your answer. When you find them post the link here, and I will add it to the FAQ...:thumbup

I am sorry that I don't have the answer, as I do not have that particular style interface, so I have never done the install, nor have I used it to flash a bike.
Just figured I would put in my .02. From what Ive found or come to believe is that when you say for example- gear it way down, it results in higher RPM at lower speeds, but when you add other variables in like increased throttle, yada yada, this puts the map tables into the "I need more timing advance" thinking, and vise versa. Ive been using Innovate loggers on different bikes and have logged / reviewed some charts in the past with these same questions in mind about gearing issues. The one thing that Ive noticed that stands out to me at least is timing variations that get really ugly. Im sure Im just 1 perspective, but it makes sense to me.

The R1 ECU does not have a way to add or subtract timing on the fly...As it does not have a knock sensor, nor does it have any way to calculate that. I am not sure how it could figure that out. I do know for sure, that the only way the ECU has to figure out what gear it is in, for choosing which fuel/ign/throttle/etc map to use, is by doing speed/rpm. I have tested that directly. So I think if the ECU is getting a wacky value for the gear look up, it probably makes the ECU unhappy in some way or another... But just not sure how just yet...

I have some free channels on my data logger right now, I wonder if there is a way to figure out what the actual timing value is. If so I can log it and compare it to the values in the ign map that I loaded into the ECU.

Any ideas on how to do that, if so, then I can directly test these ideas about the speed corrections out in the real world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.