Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Forum Members Feedback Needed, Please Take Some Time & Chime In!

3K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  AKDMA 
#1 ·
This post is to HELP all the Site Sponsors/Vendors with good feedback from You The Forum Members.

What Drives your Purchase Decisions ?

What's important to you when purchasing from a company ?

Please leave company names off your post.
We don't want it to turn into a " " Joe's Bike Shop is awesome " "Joe's Bike shop sucks "
This Thread is supposed to be helpful for ALL the SiteSponsors/Vendors.by letting us know more about the Forum Members. What influences you to purchase from a company. What's important to you. And what's not.

Here is a Quick List of Key Points that most people consider when making a Purchase.

1) PRICE - Obviously with the current economy this is going to be first on everyone's List.
So Lets just assume, that everyone will put that 1st on their list.

That being said, Take a second and Post up.....in Order of Priority....... OF These Most Common Key Points (Other than #1 Price) , :Which ones come first on your list..

Which ones are important to you.? Top of your List

Which ones are not that important. ? Lower on your list.

We have put them in RANDOM ORDER. But, you can arrange them in whatever priority they are to you.
And of course post comments.

- Answers their phones when they are open ---- (Not saying every company can have a full sales staff and a bunch of dedicated Sales lines, so that you never get voicemail. That is Rare. But, Key point being, MOST of the time when you call, someone answers the phone. Nothing more annoying that Not being able to get someone to answer the phone, no matter what time of the day you call. )

- Replies to your emails in a timely manner ----- (Again, not saying every company can have a dedicated staff to do nothing but reply to emails 24/7. Key point being, MOST of the time when you email them during "NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS" you get a reply within an hour. Not 2 days later, or even worse no reply at all. )

- FREE Shipping ---- (Key Point : FREE SHIPPING)

- Knowledgeable Sales Staff ---- ( Key point : The person taking your order, knows the products, knows the bikes, knows what should fit, and what probably won't. Has 1st hand experience with the products your considering... We have all experienced what it's like to ask someone about a product, and they have no idea what it is, or what it does. All they do is sell it )

- A Real Store with a Physical Address and a phone number ---- ( Key Point :You know they are going to be there for the long haul. Not a "here today, gone tomorrow". There is nothing worse than seeing a PO BOX as the company's Physical address. Or no phone number listed, instead a.. "Email is Preferred method of contact ".

- Tracking numbers sent as soon as your product shipping ---- (Key point : They just email it to you automatically. That way you can track it, and you know when it will be arriving. You don't have to call or email and ask for it. Or worse your told. " You cannot get a tracking number until at least 14 days after your order..? WTF? )

- Repeat Customer Discount or Customer Loyalty Discount ---- (Key Point : In some form or another the company appreciates your continued business and gives you something extra for sticking with them. Either Store Credit, or Extra Discounts...etc.. )

- Order Status Updates ---- (Key point : As soon as you place your order, you are confident it will be processed quickly. Otherwise the company will email and/or call you immediately, to inform you of any delays and let you decide to continue or cancel or change order)

- Informative Website (Key point : Lots of information on the specific products, and Details Photos. Not just a "Here's the part, and here's the price. with a generic photo or no photo at all )

- Fast Shipping ---- (Everyone wants their stuff, Yesterday. Unfortunately, that's impossible. :) But, you expect it to get to you quickly 2-5 days in most cases.. Not 2-3 weeks later. Unless your notified it's on back order.)

- Tech Support/Customer service that you can call and get Answers ---- (Key point : They don't just take orders. They can give you important information that helps you make an informed decision on what your buying. ie.. (will this fit my bike.? What do I need.?? Will this product work with That product. Are they compatible ? What size Sprockets do I need. How Fat of a Tire can I squeeze on my Rim )

AGAIN, please leave ALL company names off your post.

You're welcome to give past experiences you have had and how it has changed the way you make your decision. That's what we are looking for. Not a Bash fest on anyone or a HYPE Fest on anyone.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Actually I don't look at price 1st. The vendors I stick with give me the best value. That means speed of service, ease of purchase, correcting things that go wrong, and if I need help they provide that if I am giving them a sale at the time or not. There are vendors that do that and I have given them a fair amount of money because of it. There are times I know I can get it slightly cheaper elsewhere, but in the end it works out.

Example..when I send a vendor an email at 10pm on Sunday because I'm having a problem/need an idea on a part that I may have purchased from them or may not have....they actually respond that night almost always. That is worth $$ in my books.

And when I need something, I simply email them and it gets handled. If parts are wrong, they cross ship without worry.....all of that is worth it to me

#7 ·
Actually I don't look at price 1st. The vendors I stick with give me the best value. That means speed of service, ease of purchase, correcting things that go wrong, and if I need help they provide that if I am giving them a sale at the time or not. There are vendors that do that and I have given them a fair amount of money because of it. There are times I know I can get it slightly cheaper elsewhere, but in the end it works out.

Example..when I send a vendor an email at 10pm on Sunday because I'm having a problem/need an idea on a part that I may have purchased from them or may not have....they actually respond that night almost always. That is worth $$ in my books.

And when I need something, I simply email them and it gets handled. If parts are wrong, they cross ship without worry.....all of that is worth it to me
:iamwithst

You made the first mistake in sales - assuming. Why assume price is themost important thing for ALL of your potential clients?

As stated, value is far more important to me than price and that comes with some of the other things you mentioned and that are above.

I want a "competent" vendor - someone who can actually do what they say and/or should be able to do for me.

I want a "credible" vendor - some of the vendors (OK I wont mention names) post regulary on the forum and offer good advice vs. just trying to sell their stuff. They ride bikes themselves or are around them enough that they know what we are asking or talking about vs. trying to google the answer or look at the product description in a catalogue. They are knowledgeable about what they sell - and thats worth something and drives loyalty.

Price is only important if it's a commodity that I need zero assitance with and can be found anywhere. Even then I will pay a small percentage more and give the business to someone who I have dealt with before and liked their service.

Being from Canada there is NO such thing as free shipping from USA. The carrier and cost of shipping are important to me. For example I refuse to use United Parcel Service since they screw you royally on brokerage fees. If a site tells me they only use them - i look no further.

Response to ANY email questions within 24-48 hours is also expected. If the response is canned or useless info - I move on.

Lastly - I will say that this forum has POWER. If I read too many bad reviews about a vendor ( someone always has some stupid little problem that they bitch about and I dont let that influence me) I wont use them - not even give them a try. :fact

#9 ·
letting a customer know if there is any kind of a delay with an item instead of just letting them wait it out wondering what the f*ck is going on. shit needs to ship inside of 2 days if you "have it in stock" otherwise let them know when it will be shipped.

#10 ·
I like what Sportbiketrackgear does. They only sell what they use. When I got my Handroid gloves in their store they had a set of used one they'd crashed in I could try on. (they held up perfectly for crashed gloves too). They knew how they fit and how they held up over time.

I want a brain behind the phone/email who can answer questions about a product if I have them.

#11 ·
I like what Sportbiketrackgear does. They only sell what they use. When I got my Handroid gloves in their store they had a set of used one they'd crashed in I could try on. (they held up perfectly for crashed gloves too). They knew how they fit and how they held up over time.

I want a brain behind the phone/email who can answer questions about a product if I have them.
ahh man! you went mentioning names like you were told not to!!! Do you have a problem with doing what you're told! :D

#14 ·
1. They aren't gay they're AWESOME. :D
2. I still have them but I got the Handroid ones because all my forum buddies give me shit for wearing squidcon gloves. :crash

I do like the Handroid better though. Kangaroo leather and they broke in nicely. Very comfortable and dropping Shanes name got me a great deal on them.

#22 ·
I like a nice web layout, lots of items I like to choose from.
Email status of order is great, when it ships and such.

I hate "Free Shipping".. cause it isnt free, its factored into the price. I would like to pay my own shipping fees, not add into someone elses.

Dont really care about Tech support, thats going to be thru the manufacture anyway.

Good return policy is a ++

Quick shipping & excellent packaging will get me coming back for sure.

#32 ·
I hate "Free Shipping".. cause it isnt free, its factored into the price. I would like to pay my own shipping fees, not add into someone elses.
That's rare to hear that someone say that.
Most don't realize that fact. The shipping cost is somewhere.
or
That quite often the Free Shipping is Snail Mail, or something similar.. (It gets there when it gets there)
Sometimes it shows up within a week, sometimes not. But, you didn't pay for shipping, so you cannot really argue it.

#24 ·
It'd be nice if a vendor did something like REI does. When you become a member you get a nice little check at the end of the year on the profits.

#25 ·
This whole question asking is a redundant exercise. Although I applaud you for taking the time to write and compile the questions in the post. I wanna say WTF! Its like captain fvcking obvious with the whole questions posed.

Consumers want a quality product at a reasonable price attended to by knowledgeable good attitude employees with a bonus of quick shipping times.

There all done. Can we move along now.

#26 ·
Jason. Eat a Snickers. :D

#30 ·
This might be more fitting for the beaver...

BTW, I agree with the bastage. Should be blatantly obvious. :fact

#31 ·
Items in stock..Most vendors don't have the item in stock...be nice if they give a REAL delivery date of when they expect it from their supplier.I have been shopping for an Akra Evo exhaust for my '07 and just about every vendor says they have it in stock on their website.

#33 ·
I go by customer service first.

And while we have your attention "hard racing" what's up with the website?? It's all over the place. Don't get me wrong, you guys are awesome over phone and email, but the website man!!

#34 ·
International shiping.

I won't buy online if I can't check the international shipping rate first. Alot of sites will not tell you the rate until checkout, you enter your card details and buy the item before it calculates the shipping rate and adds it. It can be a lottery, some places international rates are ridiculously expensive compared to others.

I guess alot of shops aren't interested in the overseas market. For US sellers thats crazy, your prices are so dirt cheap there's alot of overseas customers to be had.

#37 ·
International shiping.

I won't buy online if I can't check the international shipping rate first. Alot of sites will not tell you the rate until checkout, you enter your card details and buy the item before it calculates the shipping rate and adds it. It can be a lottery, some places international rates are ridiculously expensive compared to others.

I guess alot of shops aren't interested in the overseas market. For US sellers thats crazy, your prices are so dirt cheap there's alot of overseas customers to be had.

Unfortunately, international rates usually aren't that easy to have done "Automatically"

It takes some phone calls, or data input on their websites to get an accurate shipping cost.

Specially when it's multiple products, where you have to first figure out the overal size of the box required and total weight.

All these factors come into play when the shipping company give you a rate quote.
It's all about how much room will your package take up on their airplane.

Compaines "Should" give you some shipping options after you have placed your order online and they can get all this information to the shipping companies for some Rates...... BEFORE they actually process it.

That's what we do, with our customers.

Let you decide first.

#36 ·
one of the big vendors lost all current and any future business from me. i spent quite a bit of $ with them too.

they claim to sell what they use. however, it's a joke. on top of that, they went out of their way to lie to me.

price is an issue....but isn't number one. competitive price is a given, no?

1. service. nuff said.

2. ACTUAL WORKING knowledge. not "we sell a lot of these."

3. something extra. since my terrible experience, i've gone out of my way to buy local. i want to know the guy that gets my $$ !!! if a vendor would show up trackside/ to forum events/conventions for support....they could have my business, and presumably, many others'.

#38 ·
1) PRICE - Obviously with the current economy this is going to be first on everyone's List.
So Lets just assume, that everyone will put that 1st on their list.

Are you still assuming price is "most" important to everyone? A fair or competitive price is usually important but a companies CVP is way more important - as reflected in this thread.

Never argue with the buyer or tell them they are wrong - lesson # 2.

#40 ·
Price, followed closely by reputation of service. This is why I love a new vendor I've discovered from this forum. Very fast and simple order process, stuff shows up fast and is much cheaper than anywhere else. It's really important that the vendor also be willing to quickly resolve issues, even if it's initially at their expense. That kind of thing makes one tell all of his friends about the place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.