Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface

2M views 13K replies 451 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 ·
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

Here are the tuneable features for the 07-08 R1:
-Fuel table bias (ECU uses a MAP vs RPM and a TPS vs RPM table for fueling, the bias adjusts how much each table contributes to the final value used to control the injectors.)
-TPS vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-MAP vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-TPS vs RPM Ignition map (per gear)
-Engine braking
-YCCT APS vs RPM throttle maps (not directly edittable, can choose between two preset maps: stock and "race")
-Fan temps (stock or 205*F on, 195*F off)
-Immobilizer Operation (Normal or Bypassed)
-Yes, you can import .djm PCIII maps into the software, the software then scales the fuel maps for flashing the ECU just like the PCIII does.

Flashtune does claim to be actively expanding the software to allow for other adjustments as well.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the YCCT maps and the 1st and 6th gear ignition maps.

Attachments

See less See more
#9,917 ·
Why did you use the stock timing map?...if you send me the Bazzaz map I can turn it into a PCV map

#9,922 ·
:thumbup

Good stuff...
Looks like you're starting to gather some good base line data.
Keeping the FT map "stock" for the initial data retrieval is a good idea.
Build a base line map .....then alter from there.....(timing changes) and collect more data.:)

One step at a time.
Cheers

:epimp

#9,923 ·
This its my goal to build a stock based map at 13.2 afr and make changes to each cylinder to make shure theat eachone its running 13.2 .... :)

Then i whill start with Tad's maps wich they are makeing huge power :boobies compare to stock ...and make the samme .... the question its what target afr to aim for ... ?

#9,924 · (Edited)
Good question....

A dynamometer will be able to answer that question for you...
Guessing at it.... around 12.8-13.2 AfR should provide good results but with out a dyno you're only guessing at best power for a given AfR.

*** I was off a little. YEC spec
• Best engine power delivery around 13 / 13.3

:epimp

#9,926 ·
OK...Again....?????

The image I posted was of the ECT (engine coolant temp.) vs RPM warm up map. The values in that map are 10x the value of the TPS used. I also set the extend warm up idle to true, so that it only uses the warm up map for all engine temps. Also, the only other map in an 09-11 ECU image is the idle SAP comp map, which is the timing adjustment, which is disabled by extending the warm up map.

So yes, I made adjustments to the ETV values available in the 09+ image, not timing, as there is not the same map that you are looking at in the 07-08 ECU image....the 07-08 also does not have the extend warmup option because the 09+ uses different idle logic....

#9,928 ·
:thumbup...how many miles on the plugs you replaced?

#9,930 ·
:thumbup...I regaped and cleaned mine at 6k and it starts better now....

#9,931 ·
Hey Tad I was wondering why your idle map and the stock idle map are so different in some areas, you were trying to achieve what the bike does stock from factory on start up(warm up idle then back down to normal idle) why not just copy the stock idle map onto your map? I'm trying to learn more about the software so just wondering why you went that route

#9,932 ·
Because the stock image dies not use that area of the warm up idle map. A stock image has extend warm-up idle set to false, and once above ~120°F, it uses the sap idle comp map (timing) to determine the idle. Using the warm up map is easier and more stable way to dial in the idle you want.....

#9,933 · (Edited)
The long long awaited v2.0.1.2 TAFB edition flash tune maps have arrived! These were tuned using feedback from customers as well as a ton of time spent on the dyno today. Not owning an 09+ R1 has prevented me from experimenting and tuning the maps (prior to today).

I couldn't really get the ignition timing maps in the "unrestricted" flash tune images to make more power than the stock ignition maps (dunno if it's our fuel, altitude, whatever), in fact usually they made less power! I was getting quite a bit of knock on throttle roll on (where the timing is at +5 and +4) and the engine temps were climbing very quick when cruising due to the +18 degrees ignition advance in this area!! :( I also saw a dip in power at wide open throttle from about 4500rpm to 7000rpm and when I removed the -3 timing retard in those areas and put zero's there the power curve was way smoother and stronger.

Flash-tune's "unrestricted" ignition map, degrees different from a stock ECU:

Not really sure wtf flash tune is thinking with these ignition maps?? They damn sure don't seem to be dyno tuned!

The other complaint I sometimes get from customers is that the flash removes almost all of the engine braking up high, but at about 6000RPM it kicks back in HARD! I found out this was due to their messed up ignition table (goes from -35 degrees to +11 degrees in one step at 6000rpm!) and their throttle tables stopping the throttle blades from closing completely (also only until 6000rpm) so I've completely redone the throttle tables to bring back some engine braking up high and deliver it perfectly smooth all the way down to idle (when using the "stock" ignition tables) :)

Anyway, here are my maps. The "stock" maps are really nice, no changes to the fueling (you can drop your favourite power commander map on top), bone stock ignition table with unrestricted throttle and custom throttle maps (A mode is super sweet). Only the "stock" maps have the stock ignition tables, all of the rest have the crappy flash-tune ignition tables. I didn't have time on the dyno today to work on tuned ignition tables, maybe in a future update :)

09-11 R1 - Generic - Slip-on, Y-Pipe TAFB edition.ftm 13-May-2014 22:07

09-11 R1 - Generic - Stock TAFB edition.ftm 13-May-2014 22:07

09-11 R1 - Generic - Unrestricted TAFB edition.ftm 13-May-2014 22:07

12-13 R1 - Generic - Slip-on, Y-Pipe TAFB edition.ftm 13-May-2014 22:07

12-13 R1 - Generic - Stock TAFB edition.ftm 13-May-2014 22:07

12-13 R1 - Generic - Unrestricted TAFB edition.ftm 13-May-2014 22:07

If anyone tries them out let me know how you like them please and thanks :)

Oh yeah, they work on all Euro/Aus/Canadian bikes, as well as USA too! Set the "US harness config" to false when flashing non-US bikes.

-Jamie M.

#9,936 · (Edited)
Hey Jamie, Awesome work!
Have you made any updates to your 2008 version map?
I'd be interested to try - still using your last one - Big smile on my dial! :hammer:
My 07 R1 is such a freakin monster I'm afraid to experiment on it!!! You know the saying, if it ain't broke dun fix it. So no, I have not updated any of my 07/08 maps!!! lol.

Just for comparison, here is the ignition table that's in your bike MicksteR1 (as well as my track bike and all my customers on the old version):

Now that's what an ignition table should look like :D

I just installed a motion pro quick turn throttle assembly so some time before my next track day on May 25th I'm going to have to flash my ECU and put a nice linear throttle map in it. I might still use the super old version 1.2.2.0 of the flash software, or copy over the ignition table into 2.0.1.2 version and make some new maps ;)

-Jamie M.

#9,938 ·
Greetings once again after a long time :)

I've flashed my 2012 EU bike (with full Akrapovic EVO system + K&N airfilter) about 9 months ago by using FT's y-pipe map combined with TAD's most recent map at that day. Than I've bought a PCV and made a custom dyno tune. I've shared the dyno results in the forum ;)

Because my work is so busy I couldn't ride my bike after the dyno run. I'm running it for a month and there are things that I don't like at my configuration. On/Off throttle response shakes the bike so much and ruins canyon riding experience in A mode. Also there is a dead spot on lower RPMs :( That things was there before the PCV.

My question is, is the map on here: http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5983490&postcount=9404 is the latest most updated map for a 2012 EU R1 with a full EVO system? Is there any known problems with it? Will it correct the issues I'm having right now? Most importantly, I'm not sure about the timing map of my flashed map. I mostly need a good timing map for the flash.

Is changing my current map will ruin the dyno tuned map on my PCV? I'm planning to buy an AutoTune because I don't think that the FT+PCV give me all the gains that has to be after the EVO system :(

What do you guys suggest me to use for Flash?

Thanks & Cheers :)

#9,939 · (Edited)
I've flashed my 2012 EU bike ... using FT's y-pipe map combined with TAD's most recent map at that day. Than I've bought a PCV and made a custom dyno tune.
Any ECU flash map you change to will screw up the dyno tune in your PC3 because your ECU had a modified fuel table when you got dyno tuned :( One option would be to open your existing/old map in the flash-tune software and copy all the fuel injector tables over to whatever new map you want to try, that way your dyno tune would still be pretty close, but I don't recommend that because of the problems you're complaining about.

Of course if you get autotune it will make a new map perfectly, no matter what you flash your ECU to! I highly suggest you go that route.

As of right now I would suggest loading a ZERO map in your PCV (make a backup of the dyno tuned one in there first!!), then if you like super buttery smooth on/off throttle try out my map, see how you like it :)

12-13 R1 - Generic - Stock TAFB edition.ftm 13-May-2014 22:07

Set "Disable INJ decel cut" to true and "US harness config" to false when you flash your EU bike.

Once you do all that you'll be using bone stock fueling of course, which isn't the best setup for your full system. If you try out the above and your dead spot is fixed and everything is peachy then drop this fuel map into your PCV and see how it runs: http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/22-006/maps/M22-006-502.pvm

-Jamie M.

#9,941 ·
^^^

ejlover- it's for 2009 Yamaha R1 European model, Akrapovic Evolution/ Racing Line open full exhaust (without dB-killers), Dynojet O2 controller installed, Stock or aftermarket air filter.

Also if you want to built a good map by using Dynojet PCV and AT-200 you should get SFM too for secondary injectors.

#9,950 ·
Also if you want to built a good map by using Dynojet PCV and AT-200 you should get SFM too for secondary injectors.
Thanks marider ;)

BTW why do I need a SFM? Engine is totally stock no hardcore mods on it :(

Nope, the map is using the stock timing. I couldn't get our 09+ R1's to make more power with advanced timing, only made more heat. On your side of the pond where the fuel is reportedly higher quality you might have better results. You can open up the ignition map and add two or three degrees if you want. Try it out in stock form though, you should find it pulls pretty hard with the unrestricted throttle :)

When looking for maps for your bike put in 2011, 2009-2011 is the same as 2012-2014 just minus traction control ;)

-Jamie M.
Thanks Jamie :) I'll add Tad's ignition maps then :sneaky

As long as I remember from FT's interface 09-11 & 12-14's have differences on base maps on some values :dundun:

Jamie....The stock map has the huge change in timing at part throttle mid RPM....that makes mid corner transition transition jumpy. This is why I went to the timing map that I did. Ejlover, the newest version should remove that mid corner transition issues. However as the others said, it will screw up your fuel trims that you had loaded into it on the dyno. You could try just loading the timing maps into the image you had dyno tuned...Can always give it a try....
That's what I'll do Tad, thanks :flex: Is loading the timing maps only has nothing to do with the fuel trims on PCV right?
What was the cause of mid corner transition issues? Something with fueling?

#9,943 ·
Jamie....The stock map has the huge change in timing at part throttle mid RPM....that makes mid corner transition transition jumpy. This is why I went to the timing map that I did. Ejlover, the newest version should remove that mid corner transition issues. However as the others said, it will screw up your fuel trims that you had loaded into it on the dyno. You could try just loading the timing maps into the image you had dyno tuned...Can always give it a try....

#9,945 ·
I only have it set up for 09-11 US R1...I haven't had time to work on it yet....Sorry. Maybe this weekend....

#9,947 ·
I had to copy all the maps into a new version of the unrestricted map...so that's what I would do...

#9,951 ·
Try for example to make it idle at 1700 RPM ....if you can...then you are good.

Thanks marider ;)

BTW why do I need a SFM? Engine is totally stock no hardcore mods on it :(

Thanks Jamie :) I'll add Tad's ignition maps then :sneaky

As long as I remember from FT's interface 09-11 & 12-14's have differences on base maps on some values :dundun:

That's what I'll do Tad, thanks :flex: Is loading the timing maps only has nothing to do with the fuel trims on PCV right?
What was the cause of mid corner transition issues? Something with fueling?
I think Jamie was referring to PCV maps which are the same 09+. The F-T images are different for 12+.

I think the mid corner transitions issue was in the ignition timing. Changing the timing will change the fueling needs a bit. Like I said before give it a try and see how it runs.

#9,956 ·
OK so I did this:

I increased all values in Tad's idle map by 5 points & reflashed.

Cold start idle was around 2000 rpm & gradually dropped down to about 1650 & stayed there all the way.
I let the fans cycle a few times to ensure beyond doubt that it was out of the warm up sequence.

That's sounds like a success to me. :)

I'll reflash back to Tad's idle map now, or maybe raise it just a little.

#9,957 ·
Sounds great. It may have just been because the image I was fiddling around with was much older than that one....as it was a us image rather than the newer EU version.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.