Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Painting the Engine....

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  rorlow 
#1 ·
I'm just in the process of degreasing my engine and cleaning her prior to spraying the block black.

She is a '99 R1, so bare ally block.

Any tips from anybody who has painted any type of engine would be appreciated.

The paint ill be using doesn't need primer, it will be a high temp spray paint i shall use.

#5 ·
I would suggest researching and figure how the factory does it then. high temp paint only seems like it wouldn't last long. Maybe many many thin coats. You should do a write up on this project.

#7 ·
I've done many different high heat parts on MC's and my experience with any high heat spray is no matter how well you maintain and baby it (no riding in bad weather) it only lasts a max of 2 years before it looks like shiot.:fact
Wonder how the factory paints it to last?

#10 ·
yeah i think you'd have to strip it down to the separate parts.. i'd love to see the look on your powder coater's face when you bring in a fully assembled engine... bahhahaha.....

wtf you want me to do with that!??? :2bitchsla

#11 ·
"Any tips from anybody who has painted any type of engine would be appreciated."

Well I've found a few things out from people not on this forum who have painted their engines, so here you go.

Paint needs to be baked once sprayed, else wont heat cycle properly and will go off colour.
Etcher does not require to be used, most VHT Paints are self etching.
To thin and it flakes, too thick and it will blister, this is multiplied if the bake cycle is not adhered too.
Powder coating is ill-advised due to the heat cycle of the engine and the effect of the chemical in the paint.
None of these people have had issues with time or mileage/weather regarding the decay of the paint job.
I got sent a picture, was a stunning example of somebody's work, he had done 10,000miles and rode all year round, it looks as new :) he also only used VHT Paint.
His words were, "its in the prep, degrease plenty of times, wash it off, degrease again, wash off, use a scotch pad on a drill to rough up the key, wash off and use paint prep wipes. Then mask up and paint." Be sure to bake the paint job he told me.

#14 ·
I Live in the UK....If you see my build thread in Bike of the Month, you'll see i know a thing or two about bikes, im no painter mind. Hence asking to see who has done it for some tips/advice...I look after Brandan Cretu at the TT, and missed supporting him at Macau this year due to other commitments.

Yes, that's what i have been told by somebody...

"Powder will hold up for a decent amount of time on cases and valve covers etc. Much less so on the cyclinder or head. The heating and cooling cycles will break it down eventually and cause discoloration and easier chipping."

http://www.brandoncreturacing.com/

#15 ·
I worked for a company that powder coated all of Chryslers engine blocks, we cured them at 425F for 20 minutes, an assembled engine would not tolerate that because some components cannot take that kind of heat or duration. These blocks were the raw castings and were machined after powder coating :secret:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.