Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2008 R1 error code 18

16K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  jmckinney 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to this site and I'm wanting to purchase this 2008 R1 that I went and looked at yesterday. I drove it and everything seemed fine with it, of course I was'nt getting into it real hard, since I did'nt own the bike. Anyway the check engine light was on from the time the owner started it up and the entire time. He say's it is error code 18 and that it on because he installed a full aftermarket exhaust (Ackropovic). He says there's something the stock exhaust had that the computer is looking for and it can't see it so it's throwing the code.
Will this cause any problems with the bikes performance, does it need to be corrected some how and should this be something that I should not purchase the bike for?

#2 ·
EXUP Servo motor

That error code relates to the EXUP (Exhaust Valve) being faulty, or in your case - not being there at all. It is not unusual for guys to remove the EXUP with the installation of an aftermarket exhaust system. The question is, is it a full exhaust system? I cannot see the need to remove the EXUP if it is only slip-ons.

Secondly, did the previous owner not Flash (ECU) or even PC (Power-commander) the bike after the exhaust install? If not, then the bike will run rough.

I am not sure if there is some other way of resetting the error without an ECU flash.

If the bike runs fine, then I would not be concerned - apart from that annoying engine light. In the current state you may have a real error, but will not be aware of it as the light is on all the time

#6 ·
That error code relates to the EXUP (Exhaust Valve) being faulty, or in your case - not being there at all. It is not unusual for guys to remove the EXUP with the installation of an aftermarket exhaust system. The question is, is it a full exhaust system? I cannot see the need to remove the EXUP if it is only slip-ons.

Secondly, did the previous owner not Flash (ECU) or even PC (Power-commander) the bike after the exhaust install? If not, then the bike will run rough.

I am not sure if there is some other way of resetting the error without an ECU flash.

If the bike runs fine, then I would not be concerned - apart from that annoying engine light. In the current state you may have a real error, but will not be aware of it as the light is on all the time
18 means its not moving(stuck), or short in wire.
17 would mean its not there, or not plugged in.. Open in wires.

#3 ·
good point,... i wonder if there's a way of clearing that without reflash....

it wont affect the bike, but as posted... i would feel a little funny riding
around with hte check engine light always on... i'd never know if something
really is fubared.. in the long run, could prove to be costly.

#5 ·
You can buy an EXUP module that you plug into the harness where the EXUP valve used to be and it tricks the computer into thinking its actually there. They cost $50-70. This will elemintate the check engine light or the need to flash the code out.

#7 ·
Yeah, I just spoke with the owner of the bike and he say's he will go ahead and buy the module and install it. He assures me that the bike is fine. He said he should buy it anyway since he's selling it. The check engine light does'nt look good to a possable buyer when showing the bike.

#8 ·
What a nice guy.

That bike sounds like a sweet deal, from what you say. Getting a bike with a full exhaust system is really awesome, those systems cost a tonne of money and add lots of low down torque and upstairs horses. Combine that with a PowerCommander and the EXUP eliminator and your looking at a real beast of a R1! ;)

#9 ·
Yeah it's a really nice bike, the exhaust is Ackropovic EVO full stainless and has the PC III, new Michelin pilot pwer 2CT's, comes with solo seat cowl and passenger seat, has tinted wind screen and now is getting the graves module to take care of the EXUP / SERVO code and light. Plus he's throwing in all the stock parts, 2 helmets, a summer weight riding jacket and both the front and rear stands. I may be forgetting some other stuff.
The color scheme I really like to. It's gloss black and matte black 2 tone with gold R1 decals :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.