Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Chain/Sprocket Kit

5K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  Papawle 
#1 ·
What chain/sprocket kits are all you guys running for your R1's?

Curious because I'm getting ready to buy one and want to know what holds up the best to the abuse and has the best overall quality..

Thanks!
-Michael

#8 ·
EK chains are good but what you need to focus on is the o-ring they make many, regular o-ring, X-ring, wx-ring that determines how well the rings retain oil and lengthening the life of the chain, what ever you get just do proper maintenance on it you'll be good last thing you want is a dry rotted o-ring and then your chain is crap

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#10 ·
I just ordered a stealth black rear sprocket and a driven front sprocket with a EK MVXZ chain. I think those will be strong enough. There is mild motor work done to my R1, But i don't beat on it too much. I don't know if anyone has any history of breaking a chain because it's too weak, but I don't really want to be the one to do it.. haha!

Thanks everybody for the info!!

#32 ·
100% the person doing the rivetting. Rivets are the only type of master link that are 100% as reliable and strong as the rest of the rivets. So they should break on par with every other link in the chain. 120 links and 120 chances and it always breaks there? Surely not installed properly.

#34 ·
The supersprox aka Stealth sprockets were the lightest weight steel sprockets up until almost two years ago. Now the Driven and Vortex superlight steel rear sprockets are less weight, less money, and one piece so there is less to have an issue with. However, if you like the looks of the gold Stealth sprockets then go for it for sure. Just know that they are no longer the lightest weight rear sprocket anymore.

Also with a steel rear sprocket don't skimp on the chain as your chain kit will only last as long as it's weakest part. Get a long lasting chain to go with it.

#35 ·
Got my sprockets a couple days ago.. the quality is pretty good! I'm happy with them, although I haven't put the chain on nor ridden it. Just at a first glimpse.

I'm not so much interested in lightweight, there are more important thing I could do to save weight. As far as strength vs. Weight I'd have to go with strength. The stealth sprocket got pretty decent reviews about how strong it is and how long it lasts.

Overall I'm happy with the sprockets I got, and now only time will tell how long they'll last. :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Motorcycle.com Free App

#37 · (Edited)
I'm gonna purchase the chain/sprocket kit from DID JT, change over the stock one after 37.5k Kms.

Is the combo kit a good choise?

the model is ZVMX

#39 ·
can anyone answer me? :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.