Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Fezz's Matte Grey 12 build thread

53K views 142 replies 67 participants last post by  Enrique777 
#1 · (Edited)
Had my 2012 Matte Grey R1 now for about 2 weeks (this colour is now available in the US as a 2013 model) and have already started changing and modifying a few things here and there. Only got 400 kilometres on it at the moment so I haven't had a chance to take it for a "proper" ride yet.

Got lots more parts on the way and look forward to getting it complete ASAP. I wanted this build to be tastefully done using the best quality components available.

Currently has the following parts fitted:
- Akrapovic full Evolution system, titanium headers & Y Pipe with carbon end caps
- OEM Yamaha rear seat cowl
- Belly pan off 50th Anniversary GP edition
- GYTR carbon fibre tank panels
- Evotech pillion footrest removal kit
- Evotech fender eliminator
- Rizoma Action indicators (rear)
- Rizoma Rev rearsets
- Rizoma Sportline grips
- Rizoma bar ends
- Rizoma pick up spools
- Rizoma engine protecters (left and right)
- Rizoma fuel cap
- Rizoma front and rear wheel sliders
- Rizoma oil cap

Parts which I've got but not fitted:
- GYTR frame sliders
- GYTR air filter
- Power Commander 5
- Rizoma front and rear reservoirs (changing when brake lines arrive)

Parts which have been ordered but haven't arrived:
- Clever Wolf carbon front fender
- Clever Wolf carbon rear hugger
- Clever Wolf carbon tank pad (these items have landed in Australia, just waiting to clear customs so should have them this week)
- ASV C5 shorty levers in black
- Spiegler brake lines in carbon/smoke colour front and rear
- Graves smog block off plates
- Galfer wave discs front & rear
- PVM forged alloy wheels 7Y spoke in gloss black (arriving late December / early January depending how PVM go)
- DID ERV3 520 chain & Renthal front sprocket (these will not go on until the new wheels arrive as I will do this in one hit)
- Dunlop Q2 tyres (these will go on with new wheels)
- GYTR carbon airbox cover (available mid January)
- Lightech chain adjusters in black (should be arriving this week)
- Watsen flush mount indicators (order placed but may take a little while as Roger needs to see a 2013 in person to get a perfect colour match)

I'm sure there are some other little bits and pieces I've missed out, can't wait to get all the parts on and start enjoying it. I'm sure once this is complete I will want to do even more further down the track!

I'll keep you updated with photos as some of the goodies arrive.

Matt

See less See more
#36 ·
i like the rear fender a lot one of the best ive seen so far...and that tank protector is pretty trick too. CF is, and has always been my weak spot and im trying to have a little more will power and not blow an entire check on carbon parts

#38 ·
Mirrors are definitely on the "to do" list...

Minor update, fitted the GYTR frame sliders and wired up the PCV. Waiting for the Graves smog block off plates to arrive and I will get the bike dyno tuned next week.

Have another parcel that I need to pick up from the post office tomorrow.

#39 ·
Picked up the parcel today that was awaiting me at the post office and received my ASV C5 shorty levers, Galfer wave rotors front & rear, Graves smog block off plates & Spiegler brake lines front and rear (smoke in colour with black fittings).

Fitted up the ASV levers which look and feel much better!

Really hate the red rim stripe, can't wait for the PVM wheels to arrive as it will change the whole bike. Will fit the Galfer discs when they arrive.

Going to fit the brake lines and Rizoma fluid tanks over the weekend

Matt

#42 ·
hey Fezz whats the part number for your solo seat cowl?? I havent been able to track one down for my bike and i work at a yamaha dealer!!!

#44 ·
looks good mate.! congrats on the CF.. i've got the same tank cover.. lovely isnt it!?

#45 ·
Sure is, some of the best CF I've seen!

Over the weekend managed to get the Spiegler brake lines fitted front and rear as well as the Rizoma fluid tanks. The fit and finish of the lines are top notch and the adjustable banjo bolt makes it easier to get them sitting exactly where you want. Bled the brakes using Motul RBF600.

Should have the Lightech chain adjusters early this week and the PVM wheels look set to be here before Christmas.

Also took a few photos of the whole bike

#46 ·
great shot... she looks like a carver.!

#57 ·
Mannnnnnn, she sure is beautiful! I absolutely agree with rorlow, I can't wait to see it with the new wheels on as well! :yesnod :thumbup

#55 ·
please post up pics of your GYTR when it arrives.. i'm on the fence and need a CF replacement badly... thanks, she's looking all business :thumbup

#58 ·
Thanks for the comments!

Well the wheels have arrived (PVM 7Y forged alloy in gloss black) which should be the biggest change visually to the bike.

Got a set of Dunlop SportSmart tyres and a DID ERV3 520 chain to put on. Getting the tyres mounted tomorrow and need to go grab a new rear sprocket so if all goes to plan will be able to put the new wheels with Galfer discs on the bike tomorrow night.

Booked in for a dyno tune on Saturday morning as well.

Not much to do now...

Matt

#66 · (Edited)
It's on the "to do" list for after Christmas, going to get a set of the Rizoma Tomok mirrors in black.

I got the PVM wheels fitted with the Galfer wave rotors front and rear along with the chain & sprockets. Also fitted the Dunlop SportSmart tyres at the same time to make things easier.

Put a Renthal 15 tooth on the front and a AFAM 44 tooth on the rear which is nearly the same colour as the bike, topped off with a DID ERV3 520 chain.

Will clean the bike up and take some proper photos over the weekend. Still a few little bits and pieces I am waiting on but nearly how I want it now!

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.