Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Ohlins feedback

4K views 46 replies 21 participants last post by  cyclepsycho7 
#1 ·
I know there's a lot of suspension threads but here's my Q: I ride street and maybe 4 track days a year. If I scrimp and save I could get the ohlins ttx and 30mm forks early next year for the usual $2.5k+. I'm 205 lbs with an 08 R1 w OEM suspension. Of course I could spend that money on a lot of other things. I don't run race tires at the track. Is it worth it? Is it overkill? I'm never going to have race winnings to offset the cost; I run in intermediate class. Anyone get the ohlins and think they're NOT worth.the.cost if you're a recreational rider w some track days? Thanks for advice,

#5 ·
I'm going to respectfully disagree.

On the street you will notice it too. Ohlins RT's or Carts soak up road irregularities much better than stock and are more precise when cornering in the twisties. What this does is give you a higher safety margin in the event that you have to correct for debris, animals, potholes, anything in the road. Also if you go into hot in a corner and need to lean more to scrub speed you'll notice it. Shit, in all reality you'll notice it always, I do. The feel is much better, more responsive and flat out soak up road irregularities better. All of this leads to safety.

IMO: new springs --> Ohlins Carts --> RT's --> Superbike forks (Gas charged)

The Ohlins Carts are about 85% of the RT's IMHO. I've run modified forks (spring/valving changes), Ohlins Valves and springs, Ohlins Carts, and RT's. I prefer the RT's.

You can get the carts and rear shock for $2k even and it's worth every dollar. I'd skip out on flush mounts, fender eliminators, exhaust, fcking everything and do the suspension first, always.

#12 ·
I never said you wouldn't notice a difference of some sort no matter what you ride with them.

However, he is scrimping and saving to do so. On the street, RT forks are 100% overkill. You can talk about going in too hot, margin of safety, etc and I'll just say to use the money on more trackdays or a school to learn how to ride. That will give you more margin of safety than any equipment can.

On the track you use the suspension more than that street therefore you will notice it more and faster. But again, once you spring it for your weight, the stock stuff will work and you can go very fast on it. There are guys well into A group on stock stuff :fact

It comes down to the skrimping and saving...if you have the money to blow by all means get them. If you don't, trackdays/school will be far more benificial to your ability and speed than any piece of equipment you can buy.
I've been riding over two decades and started going to the track in 2000. RT's are never overkill IMHO. They soak up the bumps so much better than anything I've used. Do you need them, no. But then again you don't need a motorcycle either, most don't. Suspension needs to be sorted for your weight but you won't get the feel out of the stock forks that you can with the RT's, CARTS, etc.

Unless you are perfect you'll cook a corner once in a while whether that is in the twisties or on the track. I've taken a routine corner that I've taken hundreds of times before, only there is debris or something else in the road, and modified or aftermarket forks helped. Not only with feel, but soaking up my shot corner than I'm now trying to ride out of. Anything that increases feel and soaks up the bumps better means faster times at the track but also means a nice safety margin on the street. Overkill for safety isn't a waste of money to me but may be to you, YMMV. Aftermarket stuff and bump absorption will also help with fatigue at a track day. I don't know about you but by the end of the day I'm fatigued, especially in the TX heat. I noticed a difference going to track days back to back with OEM forks with spring changes and Ohlins gear. By the last session with Ohlins I was less fatigued, and had more in human tank for the last session of the day, which many times I'd skip as in my time I'd seen more wrecks late in the day than any. (that and the first session after the winter with a few riding too hard too early).

You said street "No way" and I'm saying bullshit to that, nothing more. Dialed in aftermarket suspension has saved my noodle more than once and enabled me to be low/highside free for over a decade street and track.

Overkill on the street is awesome in my view, Greater safety margin.

And OP, I don't know anyone who has gone Ohlins who has said they wished they hadn't. RT's are expensive (I've bought both sets of mine used) but the carts are a much better buy. If you want to scrimp (I have on most of my parts) then be patient and routinely checked the classifieds here. I've seen many sets of RT's as well as Carts and TTX's go up in the classifieds for substantial savings over new in the classifieds here. This is how I gathered at least half of my parts, by being patient and waiting for those with bigger wallets than me, sell their swag.

#15 ·
I've been riding over two decades and started going to the track in 2000. RT's are never overkill IMHO. They soak up the bumps so much better than anything I've used. Do you need them, no. But then again you don't need a motorcycle either, most don't. Suspension needs to be sorted for your weight but you won't get the feel out of the stock forks that you can with the RT's, CARTS, etc.

Unless you are perfect you'll cook a corner once in a while whether that is in the twisties or on the track. I've taken a routine corner that I've taken hundreds of times before, only there is debris or something else in the road, and modified or aftermarket forks helped. Not only with feel, but soaking up my shot corner than I'm now trying to ride out of. Anything that increases feel and soaks up the bumps better means faster times at the track but also means a nice safety margin on the street. Overkill for safety isn't a waste of money to me but may be to you, YMMV. Aftermarket stuff and bump absorption will also help with fatigue at a track day. I don't know about you but by the end of the day I'm fatigued, especially in the TX heat. I noticed a difference going to track days back to back with OEM forks with spring changes and Ohlins gear. By the last session with Ohlins I was less fatigued, and had more in human tank for the last session of the day, which many times I'd skip as in my time I'd seen more wrecks late in the day than any. (that and the first session after the winter with a few riding too hard too early).

You said street "No way" and I'm saying bullshit to that, nothing more. Dialed in aftermarket suspension has saved my noodle more than once and enabled me to be low/highside free for over a decade street and track.

Overkill on the street is awesome in my view, Greater safety margin.

And OP, I don't know anyone who has gone Ohlins who has said they wished they hadn't. RT's are expensive (I've bought both sets of mine used) but the carts are a much better buy. If you want to scrimp (I have on most of my parts) then be patient and routinely checked the classifieds here. I've seen many sets of RT's as well as Carts and TTX's go up in the classifieds for substantial savings over new in the classifieds here. This is how I gathered at least half of my parts, by being patient and waiting for those with bigger wallets than me, sell their swag.
Well fk I'm doing it wrong because Ohlins hasn't saved my ass on the track :lol

BTW..forks have nothing to do with a Highside :fact

I'll say it for the last time....Ohlins will help...your riding ability will help MORE. If you are scrimping and saving....work on your riding ability first :fact

#4 ·
Are you exceeding the limit of your street tires? I'd start with a fork respring/revalve for 450-550$ and a perhaps a shock for the additional 11xx. It will be more than you need most likely, and a lot cheaper than the cartridges. I'm sure you've set sag and played with the adjusters on your stock stuff.

#9 ·
I've never raced, and probably never will. But I've been an avid track rider for years now, and about 2/3's of the year I commute on the bike and ride during the weekends.

For the longest time I thought I was the kind of rider who wouldn't be able to notice the difference in upgraded suspension. Perchance, I found a set of Ohlins FG43 forks for a price that NO ONE could refuse. Then I found out I was wrong about not being able to tell the difference. The best way I can describe the immediate difference in feel that I felt was how much the tires were in constant contact with the road. Like it didn't matter the high or low-speed bumps, the bike soaked it up and the tire would never leave the ground, not even by a hair's breath. And this was on my first ride on them on the street.

On the track, they are amazing, if not just for their ability to handle how much you throw at them without punishing the tires (rear especially, thank you Penske 8987).

Does this mean I've reached the limit of my OEM suspension? Probably not. But it does mean that I've been riding my bike long enough to actually be able to tell the difference from upgraded suspension.

That said, I probably wouldn't have purchased the forks if it weren't for the price I couldn't refuse.

My two cents.

My further two cents? Because you wrote you don't run race tires (or race DOT's?) at the track, I'd say just find a used set of wheels and rotors for your bike, buy some fresh race DOT's, and go from there. With stickier track tires, I guarantee you you'd feel the difference. :thumbup

#10 ·
Contact Race Tech. For less than half the cost of Ohlins TTX and internals, you can rebuild your OEM stuff to suit your needs. They do an outstanding job and for your type of riding it is money very well spent. Use the difference to get tires and more trackdays and you will be set.

#14 ·
+1

RaceTech can have your stock stuff revalved/resprung and set up to work well beyond what you expect (and likely well beyond what you can push your bike to).

Ohlins is pretty (I've got it on my 04 street bike) but well set up stock stuff (like on my 01 track bike....front and rear has been RaceTech'd) is damn close for less than half the price.

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks so far for the information. Yes, i previously had the OEM suspension set by a local speed shop that made a significant improvement. I'll re-read everything to keep learing and figure out the way to go.

As for "...Are you exceeding the limit of your street tires? " i guess i'm not sure, so probably not. I run Diablo Rosso Corsa which seem very good. Had a low-side (no video or witnesses) at NJMP thunderbolt this year on decreasing-radius turn but, I'm guessing, it was due to shifting body position mid-turn as much as anything. Throttle was smooth IMO. thanks again!

#16 ·
If you dont have any complaints about your suspension now... Dont worry about it. Just have fun and ride!

If you feel like your suspension is letting you down, Ohlins is good stuff. Will transform your bike, get to learn how to ride it all over again.

#24 ·
I been doing street riding and now racing for 2 years so far. Currently podium on intermedium level and mid pack at expert level.

I used to race stock, then I put 30mm front and ttx36 a few months ago.

The difference between yamaha’s stock suspensions and ohlins is just a fraction of a second a lap, major improvement is on a better feeling of the track and what the tires are doing when leaned up to the very edges of the tire.

Since you described yourself as a street rider and ocasional track day participant, I suggest you not to spend so much money on ohlins. It doesn´t worth it.

Given you weight you are a bit over the stock spring suspension range. Put new springs for your weight, set the suspension properly, and you are done.

Most of the time people says ohlins are su much better is because they were running on stock suspensions with a burned/degradated oil (no servicing), improper suspension springs for their weight, improper damping setup. Then while switched to ohlins, the springs were choosen right, fresh top oil, and ohlins already provides you a good base damping setup for most conditions.

just my 2 cents

#28 ·
Most of the time people says ohlins are so much better is because they were running on stock suspensions with a burned/degradated oil (no servicing), improper suspension springs for their weight, improper damping setup. Then while switched to ohlins, the springs were choosen right, fresh top oil, and ohlins already provides you a good base damping setup for most conditions.

just my 2 cents
:bow :bow

I'm not saying its a waste of money by any means...but any time people say something is leagues ahead of what it was (different plugs, tires, suspension, air filter...), chances are the set up wasn't proper before changing

#27 · (Edited)
It helps, but you really need to get magnesium or carbon to benefit marginally on the R1. The stockers are pretty light for OEM units. The few forged aluminum ones I looked into save only 3-4lbs between both wheels. Of course there's MOI to consider, but it would make more sense to go all the way. I had forged aluminum wheels on my RC51, but the stock wheels on it were much heavier.

#33 ·
I have had both upgraded oem forks and ohlins rt. I think ohlins give a slightly better feel and feels just softer. Hard to explain.

#41 ·
you guys would laugh to pick up my bst rear wheel with ceramic bearings and pure on her....off my hyper of coarse..no sprocket...noticed a big difference even between the forged marchis/bsts....pvm/oz when its time for the track whore to get wheels...ohlins r&t and nickel brembos first then wheels

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.