Drag Timesheets, Tips, & Mods - Page 5 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Drag Racing 1/8 and 1/4 mile Performance.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 310 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 07:15 PM
I eat my R1

thanks blakjongotti;
thats correct, no spray, no real motor work, and yes foot shifting. only internal mod was the split head gasket which raises compression to ~ 12.9:1. I had blown up my built motor, and snagged an ebaby out of a downed bike. I pulled the head to inspect things. it all looked good, so I split the gasket and slapped it back together. But its otherwise stock. I didn't even degree the cams in.

what cracks me up, is that I'm running the stock header with exup removed. If I could get the dang 60' lower, it might go 9.0s. But I'll be happy to see some teens out of it before I touch anything else.

Next season I hope to have my other motor back together (full radius valve job, ported head, degreed cams, ceramic tranny bearings, etc). Maybe even a header or something. I'm contemplating doing my own single sided exhaust setup. we'll see. I'd expect nothing less than some 0s or high 8s with that motor. But only time will tell.

strong work MattD. With a new clutch and working that 1/8th a bit harder, you're going to be clicking off 30s in no time. Hopefully you can catch some good air this fall, that always helps :-D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 310 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Ghostrider Squadron

yea i thought same. but when i put brocks pipe on compared to stock header with exup... it killed 60ft more. took while to get it back and have to launch harder. need to put it on dyno and see what difference pipe makes, but i didnt like it much at first. pull baffle out and it wont hardly move..just killed bottom end even more.

R.I.P K_FleXXX June 15, 2006

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Turbo Hayabusa Streetbike Shootout Bike. Velocity Racing Turbo
2004 YAMAHA R1 extended arm, schnitz progressive controller 217 r.w.h.p.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #83 of 310 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
1/4 mile in X.XX seconds?

Send a message via AIM to ProphetR1 Send a message via Yahoo to ProphetR1
after u put the brocks on there did u get a map from the brocks website or retune for it?

cause initially yet it would have killed u with the same set up but after putting some more fuel in that thing where u needed it ...u should have eventually felt some gains...

hope i am not wrong cause as soon as i can sell these hindle carbon fiber slip ons i am putting my sidewinder on...

by the way r105 if u wouldnt mind keeping your stock headers or sticking with undertail exhaust i have some carbon fiber hindle pipes that i am practically giving away cause i need them gone... let me know

post #84 of 310 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 11:43 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakjongotti View Post
by the way r105 if u wouldnt mind keeping your stock headers or sticking with undertail exhaust i have some carbon fiber hindle pipes that i am practically giving away cause i need them gone... let me know

Thanks for the offer. I'm going 153+mph with my stock header, cat delete, and modified stock mufflers. The biggest reason I would change anything at this point is to save weight.

A different header might improve low/mid range power. But its a pricey experiment. I thought about doing some inter pipe crossovers, but we'll see how ambitious I get this winter.

I might try and have a new first gear made, there really isn't much to it. I know people that can make it happen pretty easily. going up too much more in the rear sprocket is going to force me to use 6th. And all the gears would be so close that I wouldn't get much of a usable rpm range. so a lower first gear would help the launch and not hinder the other gears. again, we'll see how motivated I get this winter.

I'll probably end up selling it all and go the gsxr route. I can only change the clutch so many times before I freak out. lol.
post #85 of 310 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

couple update pics

Still got alot of mods to do..
some of them i have laying around needing to be installed some i am still waiting to come in...

but im getting there

still to be installed
scotts SS oil filter, sidewinder ,innovate wideband, fastcard Gen 3,dry shot,

things i still need to buy if you know where i can get a crackhead deal lol
Swingarm, Hotbodies undertail, and C02 shifter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0235.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	350511   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0236.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	350512   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0237.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	350513   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0238.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	350514   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0239.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	350515  

Name:	PICT0240.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	350517   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0241.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	350518   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0242.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	350519  

Last edited by ProphetR1; 09-26-2008 at 11:04 AM.
post #86 of 310 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Ghostrider Squadron

oh yea i got map from brocks.. but its not close. my DA is way nasty and even brock sent me map for high altitude. but i ended up getting wide band commander and tuning it myself. helped from brocks map, but still killed bottom end from stock header. those big tube primaries on header help HP, but not bottom end. and take baffle out and bike falls on its face. havent taken it out in long time now. tried it twice and hated it..plus loud as hell without it. brock says only 1 hp difference with it in or out..but TQ difference on R1 is huge. just now finally got it to run some 1.49's 60 fts...but sad cuz my 00 stock WB ran 1.48's on regular basis. so for 04 to have 30 more hp and 6 inches longer. but 00 wouldnt run ET like 04 will.. but damn i miss those 60ft on it.

post #87 of 310 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

What is my problem...... Check my sig... i should be way faster....

Right lane... Northern California...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11.003 Time Slip.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	351473  

Last edited by motorooster; 10-02-2008 at 08:24 PM.
post #88 of 310 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Man Bike!

Send a message via AIM to Matt D
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorooster View Post
What is my problem...... Check my sig... i should be way faster....

Right lane... Northern California...
I assume you are stock wheelbase and are not getting out the the hole quickly? 1.9 60ft would explain that, and that directly affects your other E.T down the line. Also, I see you are in California. Do you know what the DA was on those passes? (humidity, track elevation, barometer, dew point, temperature) That could explain your lower mph as well.

2007 ZX14

post #89 of 310 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

and also a lil more detail on ur mods like what voortex xprockets u have (how many teeth)
etc.......
post #90 of 310 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 02:41 AM

stock wheelbase , stock gearing, maybe 300ft above sea level, not sure on other

post #91 of 310 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 02:43 AM

i thought i should be in the low to mid 10's

post #92 of 310 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Ghostrider Squadron

work on 60ft. then 330 ft. thats what gets ur ET down. the 60ft is most critical, then comes 330ft. 60ft should be in 1.70s for strapped bike at least, and 330 ft should be in 4.00-4.40's. thats means ur getting out of hole, then getting wide open and making shifts at right rpms into 2nd and 3rd.. rest is just shifting gears. seat time and alot of practice is what gets those numbers better. nothing replaces practice. i would hate to guess how many passes or practice passes i have. prolly over 1500 passes on 04 R1 since i bought it, and prolly like 15000 passes since i started bike racing in 1991. practice makes perfect!

post #93 of 310 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 09:17 PM
Stretched out 10 + 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHtPgITrUG8

i run consistent 1.4s usually 1.46 check the video and hopefully i'll have some of the better footage up soon. i'm trying to get nitrous working so i can finally get my 1st nitrous pass. is anyone running port n polished heads? what is the next step to drop well into the 5s with out nitrous. if nitrous is the only way then whats the fastest anyone can get on motor in the 1/8th?

*ECC Racing 727*
post #94 of 310 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 05:44 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardgrove View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHtPgITrUG8

i run consistent 1.4s usually 1.46 check the video and hopefully i'll have some of the better footage up soon. i'm trying to get nitrous working so i can finally get my 1st nitrous pass. is anyone running port n polished heads? what is the next step to drop well into the 5s with out nitrous. if nitrous is the only way then whats the fastest anyone can get on motor in the 1/8th?

damn, I'd kill for that kind of 60'. what sort of times you running (1/8th 1/4)?

whats your setup? looks like you must have a sidewinder. how long of an arm? and who welded it up?
post #95 of 310 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Stretched out 10 + 2

im stretched 12 have sidewinder custom map filter secondary throttle body blades removed geared 15/48 with a shinko and 6 stiffs spring in my clutch. the bike isnt making the power down the track though. in the 1/8th my best time is 6.05. my friend has a busa i usually race and ran a 5.61. the motor is stock with 28,000 miles. he rides it daily and all it has is a sidewinder so everyone thinks its built. i really want to get my r1 in the 5s on motor and i have a dry shot that i've yet to spray because its not hitting right. with my 60fts i shouldn't have a problem i just need the bike to do the work. i usually leave at 7-8rpm and drop the arm quick and get out of the clutch. i'll post another video of me leaving on my bike and the busa. hope that helps and let me know about tips to get my bike in the 5s on motor. My bike dyno'd at 153hp at the wheel.

old r1 pass probably 1.48 60ft and 6.22 in 1/8th bike has no hp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kL1AOd_F2g

busa with 28,000 miles and small shot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06GnppXXcdU

*ECC Racing 727*
post #96 of 310 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 09:00 AM
I eat my R1

wonder if the sidewinder is hurting your mid range. with a mid 1.4 60', you should be way into the 5.9s

shaving the head or split head gasket is probably the next step for more NA power. yec head gaskets have become hard to find. if you touch the ports, I'd only blend the seat into the throat and clean up some of the casting flash. a good valve job will help.
post #97 of 310 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Stretched out 10 + 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by R105 View Post
wonder if the sidewinder is hurting your mid range. with a mid 1.4 60', you should be way into the 5.9s

shaving the head or split head gasket is probably the next step for more NA power. yec head gaskets have become hard to find. if you touch the ports, I'd only blend the seat into the throat and clean up some of the casting flash. a good valve job will help.
i appreciate the advice. i'm gonna save up and then probably get the heads port and polished. i have to find someone good at building engines in florida. if not i'll take it back to north carolina and get it built.

*ECC Racing 727*
post #98 of 310 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1longR1 View Post
oh yea i got map from brocks.. but its not close. my DA is way nasty and even brock sent me map for high altitude. but i ended up getting wide band commander and tuning it myself. helped from brocks map, but still killed bottom end from stock header. those big tube primaries on header help HP, but not bottom end. and take baffle out and bike falls on its face. havent taken it out in long time now. tried it twice and hated it..plus loud as hell without it. brock says only 1 hp difference with it in or out..but TQ difference on R1 is huge. just now finally got it to run some 1.49's 60 fts...but sad cuz my 00 stock WB ran 1.48's on regular basis. so for 04 to have 30 more hp and 6 inches longer. but 00 wouldnt run ET like 04 will.. but damn i miss those 60ft on it.
hey man i just put my sidewinder on and rode it for a lil bit i havent tuned for it or anything...and no i havent put it on the track or anything either but i dont feel a loss in the low end at all i dont know if u came from stock to the sidewinder or another full system to sidewinder but for me with stock headers and hindle undertail exhaust i feel like it woke it up all around its not a whole lot better in low end but everywhere else i really feel a difference but i def. didnt feel a loss..i still got to put the bung in it and hook up the wideband and tune but for what it is i love it...glad i aint at the same sea level as u i guess...
post #99 of 310 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Stretched out 10 + 2

Heres a video from the Outer Banks Speedway. These are probably some of the fastest grudge bikes in the country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mZh1VZEj_Q

Here are clips from above of two of my passes on my 05 R1 which made the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pPimtlQURA

*ECC Racing 727*
post #100 of 310 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:47 PM
My R1 eats me.

Send a message via AIM to NO HO R1
Hey, Been browsing through and just thought id see what you all think i should do next for a better time. My goal for next season is to drop into the Low 9's on motor. Id love to have a 9.2/9.1 on motor.

Right now I have a best ET of a 9.500 @ 145mph on a 1.499 60ft. At US41(morrocco Indiana) This was sometime last summer(will find the time slips and dyno sheet).

Right now as it sits, it is a 2005 R1, I have a 6" stretch, lowered 3" in the rear, a 1.25" drop in the front, a 47tooth rear sprocket(up 3 from stock), and a strap.
It dyno'd 151hp and 70 ft lbs of torque before it was stretched.

I usually leave around 8k sometimes 9k. I have never had even a bit of spinning from this bike, i run the Shinko 003 Ultra soft 190/50/17. Its only had the one 1.49 60ft, mostly runs low 1.5's. I am still running a OEM clutch and know that and aftermarket one with some stiffer springs should help quite a bit. I usually have to slip it pretty good to get those 60's out of it.

Heck the bikes got 14k miles on it and still a stock air filter. I live in central IL and well to say the least it snowed today so im just trying to get together a game plan for the best bang for my buck right now. I do know i need new exhaust due to the factory one being cracked right under the seat where it switches to the cans.

I Ran 9.89's on this bike when it was stock with a strap, so i have seen some good improvement over this season but as with everyone else i want more from it.

Thanks for the help.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode