Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Pirelli Angels vs Pirelli Diablo vs Avon Cobra

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Dai. 
#1 ·
I'm riding a 2003 R1 and this is the first set of tires I'm buying. I had an 02 R1 before this bike but never had the chance to buy tires for it because it was stolen.

So I'm an average rider and wanted some opinions on the three tires listed above. I ride street only .

I had it down to the Angels and the Diablos but then my buddy threw in the Avon Cobras .

In my research so far, Ive read that the Angels are more of a touring tire , last a little longer and are a good all around tire for wet and dry.

So far what Ive read about the Diablo is that they come up to temp quicker and are a sticky tire not lasting as long.

Research in progress for the Avon Cobras

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

#4 ·
The tyre choices are endless. Greatly depends on your riding style, weather, road surface - again, endless factors to consider.
Go read some comparative reviews and make a call from there.

The tyres you listed all all from vastly different classes and cannot be compared. Angels are touring tyres, Diablos are DOT racing tyres, and Avon's seem to be in the same class as the Angels.

I have an 03 and I started on Diablo's. They do not warm up as quickly and a winter morning catered for a lil slip and lowside. (rider error and cold tyre)
Excellent on track and road once they are up to temp, although most track guys prefer using warmers on them.
There are guys running them on the street but I would not - personal preference and just going by my experience with them.

I switched to Angel GT's and ran through 2 sets - good tyres, and avg performance (relatively speaking). I did 2 track days and they worked, but not as well as a Diablo would have. They do well for touring, which is their intended purpose. Also made for a decent enough commuter tyre.
Warm up quicker, wet performance is not too bad. But for my riding style, these did not work that well for me.

I am now on Dunlop Sportmax Roadsport and running my 2nd set. Perfect for aggressive canyon riding but they seem to overheat - again, due to my riding style and may not be the case for an avg rider.
Also have done 2 track days and they performed well, but I'm sure the Q3 would serve me much better.

No comment on Avon as I have never used them.

Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.