Track Day Pics - Version 2 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

Trackdays / Schools A place to improve your skills and discuss trackday and riding school events.

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Turn and Burn!

Track Day Pics - Version 2

Hey all,

Thought I would share a few pics from my last trackday at Spring Mountain in Pahrump, NV about 2 weeks ago. This was my 3rd trackday. I finally tried on the Dunlop Q2 tire and it felt great!

Anyway, I have been working on being smooth and body positioning. I see I can get my head a bit lower and turn my chest more into the corner..but any other comments/suggestions are welcome!

The middle pic I threw in because it turned out good with two of my other riding buddies!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_L_72649.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	463796   Click image for larger version

Name:	_L_73046.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	463797   Click image for larger version

Name:	_L_75417.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	463798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Hand.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	463799  

Last edited by Skeeter; 05-21-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 04:58 PM
blue blurrrr go zoom

damn an in the second pic looks like u wre slowing the other 2 down...j/p..im still tryin to get that knee down, i wasnt blessed w long enough legs ..
post #3 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Get some!

Looking good! Body positioning is all about individual bio-mechanics IMO. The same techniques are not going to work for every person because we are all different. Invest in a reputable track school and get coached by someone who knows what they are doing. Some of the top racer like Troy Bayliss and Kevin Schwantz have "weird" body positioning by others' "standards" but obviously it works for these World Champions. It is all about being in control and able to put the correct inputs (and prevent incorrect inputs) into the motorcycle's control surfaces (handlebars, footpegs, tank) at the correct moments. It's all about what works for YOU.

Look at Troy Bayliss and Kevin Schwantz compared to a "cool" style like Luca Scassa. I love Luca Scassa but he hasn't won multiple World Championships like the aforementioned guys!

Troy Bayliss:

Kevin Schwantz:

Luca Scassa:

post #4 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Get some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1Totzauer View Post
im still tryin to get that knee down, i wasnt blessed w long enough legs ..
You've probably heard this already from other track riders, but it bears repeating: Don't be concerned at all with trying to get your knee down. The most important thing to learn is proper control of the motorcycle to take the best line through the corner. Once you learn that, the speed will come, and speed = lean angle on a motorcycle - so you will drag your knee if positioned correctly on the bike. If you work on the above, I guarantee you will drag you knee and most likely you will not even be expecting i when it happens because you are focused on the dynamics of guiding the bike (steering + throttle control + body positioning) through the corner.

Dragging a knee is a by-product of leaning the bike over to carry speed through a turn. It is used as a lean-angle gauge to know how far over you are in a turn, and at the extreme level it can be used as an "outrigger" to help save the bike from crashing if you lose traction at the front or both wheels.The only reason we lean off the inside of the bike during a turn is to actually lessen lean angle and carry more speed through a turn, not to drag a knee intentionally.

All that said, I find that dragging a knee is terribly fun and I do it probably much more than I need to. Who cares, that's why knee pucks are replaceable!
post #5 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 02:01 PM
blue blurrrr go zoom

oh i dont think about it while riding..i think bout it at the end of the day! i try and get my line and bp right as i ride throught out the day, slowly gaining speed and gettin alil more of my lean on, im not use to the crazy angle u guys get to yet..it seems like u use almost all my tire as it it considering there is minial chicken strips onmy bike..no michelin man on the edge of my tire anymore ..i guess that last fe millimeters of the tire create a ton of angle..plus i guess the tire flexs on the side to let u lean further w the right tire pressure..working on it, slowly
post #6 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Turn and Burn!

What really helped me was video. If you have a GoPro..have someone follow you. You can see your BP, how low you are getting the bike compared to what you feel. It can help. Take some of your favorite corners and review it.

My buddy on the green ZX10 was telling me "you look like you are trying to get your knee down". "You need to have your elbow and knee closer together". I don't think I look to exaggerated..but the camera man was right there!

As JeffD said..everyone's riding style is different. I like Lucca's style also, but don't think I will ever get there!

Last edited by KoC-BlocER1; 05-15-2012 at 01:40 PM.
post #7 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 09:06 PM
The south roads are best roads

Those are some good pics.

Like Jeff said its all about body mechanics and how you feel at that particular time.
When i get my pics this week from jennings I'll post a 2 0r 3 year progression from that track for comparison.I worked for 3 years on postion and not speed and I think im pretty close now.

SIG courtesy of the awesome petrol spice
post #8 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 09:23 PM
What's a motorcycle?

Looking good man. As others have said, there are some fundamentals of proper riding, but what's paramount is that you're comfortable and able to control the inputs you're putting into the bike.

As hard as it is (I hated this advice too), take your mind OFF of trying to drag a knee, and just focus on great form and getting really consistent with that form. With the improvement in inputs comes speed, and with more speed comes more lean, and with more lean, you'll be feeling out the curb with your pucks before you know it. Making a dragged knee your focus though is likely to end with a lot more than your puck dragging on the ground.

Do loads of track days, and LISTEN to the instructors' inputs. Get as many of them to follow you around as you can - they'll usually have great input about your lines and your body positioning. Listen, implement their feedback, rinse/repeat.

Most of all, HAVE FUN doing what these bikes were designed to do!

I have a 2004 Blue R1. I ride it. I have modified it. If you want to know my mods, feel free to PM me.
post #9 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 09:47 PM
blue blurrrr go zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoC-BlocER1 View Post
What really helped me was video. If you have a GoPro..have someone follow you. You can see your BP, how low you are getting the bike compared to what you feel. It can help. Take some of your favorite corners and review it.

My buddy on the green ZX10 was telling me "you look like you are trying to get your knee down". "You need to have your elbow and knee closer together". I don't think I look to exaggerated..but the camera man was right there!

As JeffD said..everyone's riding style is different. I like Lucca's style also, but don't think I will ever get there!
yea i got a drift hd and got some pretty good footage! got a couple on bp, and had an instructor follow me a few times so i knew what to work on, he couldnt say to much bad stuff really they are ready to bump me up already next time i go and have another instructor follow me again..
ur right tho the camera doesnt lie, i thought i was doin good the 1st few days and i got home and reviews the vid ans was like "is that what i was doin"..lol..so the next tie i worked on fixing it and did pretty good
post #10 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 08:56 PM

here those pics blocker

nothing like some of these guys but im getting there. I really like the 3rd pic looks like some action is about to happen.

post #11 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Get some!

Beav - Don't know what you're downplaying, those look badass!
post #12 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 09:05 PM

Not really down playing at all . A few pics up like noss are badass.

But I am trying to get there. I've been working strictly on BP and now I'm going to start cranking her over later to carry better speed.

Thanks for the comment and yours from what I could see on her site are pretty wicked.

post #13 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 09:27 PM

Here's from 3 years ago Chris same turn and the third one is turn 13.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	-2125289723276327315.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	464406   Click image for larger version

Name:	-9014254678121483480.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	464407   Click image for larger version

Name:	-8430538251168472242.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	464408  

post #14 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 09:51 PM
My R1 eats tires

Nice pics cokblocker. Wouldn't worry about your body too much. Looks close enough. Forget about making room to drag your knee and work on your lines. Hit that apex baby.

Beaver, Move ya foot pegs dude and get that knee into the tank. Twist ya hips a little into the turn. If you are a mobile kinda guy it feels a so much better.

Happy days summer is a comin'!!

“THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.”
― Hunter S. Thompson
post #15 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 10:01 PM

I'm 6'6" They don't make rearsets that can move my knee any closer to the tank without contorting my body like a twizzler.

Those last 3 pics were from 3 years ago. I was just showing Chris my progression from the other pics above that.

post #16 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 10:10 PM
My R1 eats tires

Oh........passenger pegs? Lol just kiddin big boy. Move em down a bit and put more foam in your seat?

“THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.”
― Hunter S. Thompson
post #17 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 04:58 AM
Venom X/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPierce View Post
Oh........passenger pegs? Lol just kiddin big boy. Move em down a bit and put more foam in your seat?
Why? He's already fast and smooth and has fantastic body position. I think for a tall ass dude he looks really good on track

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squadron
post #18 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
Why? He's already fast and smooth and has fantastic body position. I think for a tall ass dude he looks really good on track
Ahhh! My hero

post #19 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 05:34 AM
Venom X/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverPuncher View Post
Ahhh! My hero
After watching you're vids on YouTube and seeing you at Jennings, what can I say, got a little jelly lol!

I thought to myself, if that lurch can do it, wtf is my problem? J/k

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squadron
post #20 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 05:18 PM

It took some work but definitely worth it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode