Track Help - Page 2 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Trackdays / Schools A place to improve your skills and discuss trackday and riding school events.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Braaaaapppp!!
 
Net-Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chesapeake, Va
Posts: 2,999
Send a message via AIM to Net-Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Net-Jester
Just go slow, that's what I do. Tires last much longer.

A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.Ecclesiastes10:19


http://kewlwebstuff.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/N3tJ3st3r

Mods: Hotbodies undertail, Mig high mount, exup removed, polished frame and swingarm, paint.

Mods to do: Add gas.
Net-Jester is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 04:33 PM
R1 Forum Star
 
z064life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 15,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Net-Jester View Post
Just go slow, that's what I do. Tires last much longer.
this is a

Hey Greenstreak, it's z064life lazy ass

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/50-r1-012-%60phantom-squadron%60/
z064life is offline  
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 04:39 PM
................
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Harrington Maine
Posts: 4,182
The real question here is .... why is a man watching a play? Much less admitting to it?

lobsterhound is offline  
post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 04:41 PM
R1 Forum Star
 
z064life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 15,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterhound View Post
The real question here is .... why is a man watching a play? Much less admitting to it?

He's in CA

Hey Greenstreak, it's z064life lazy ass

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline  
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Venom X/O
 
Gearheaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 21,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
just be careful on tires...as they wear you do lose grip...I slide the back a lot when they get all the way worn like that...it's manageable, just know it will happen
That's because dunlops give great feedback



Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline  
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Yamaha blue, in any color.
 
DanQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, NC USA
Posts: 23,563
Send a message via Yahoo to DanQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by franikk View Post
Three things that you will learn that will kill a tire.

1. Suspension
2. Tarmac condition
3. Throttle hand
I'd have to agree with these. I buy a set of tires each season, but I'm slow and watch the things listed above.


Signature by SpidermanSS. Thanks Shane!


Dan
R1-016 'Venom' Squadron Member
CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 Vmax 20th Anniversary 98 of 2000
04 Road Star Warrior


TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
DanQ is offline  
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 08:17 AM
R1 Forum Star
 
z064life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 15,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
I'd have to agree with these. I buy a set of tires each season, but I'm slow and watch the things listed above.
Dan, I think we should define a season though. How many days do you get out of a set? I run ~20 days give or take a few/year. I can't imagine no matter how good my suspension is, unless I was MAYBE upper B group/slow I could I get 20 days out of a set

I happen to know you are NOT "slow"

If I keep my suspension right....and I watch my throttle (not good at ) I think I'll get 4 days or so out of mine. Barber was 2 days on a new set and I still have enough to get 1-2 more days for sure.

Hey Greenstreak, it's z064life lazy ass

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline  
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Yamaha blue, in any color.
 
DanQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, NC USA
Posts: 23,563
Send a message via Yahoo to DanQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
Dan, I think we should define a season though. How many days do you get out of a set? I run ~20 days give or take a few/year. I can't imagine no matter how good my suspension is, unless I was MAYBE upper B group/slow I could I get 20 days out of a set

I happen to know you are NOT "slow"

If I keep my suspension right....and I watch my throttle (not good at ) I think I'll get 4 days or so out of mine. Barber was 2 days on a new set and I still have enough to get 1-2 more days for sure.

I get about 10-12 days in per season. And I go about the whole season on a rear, much longer for a front. But I change the tires for comfort after so long (pretty much as soon as I touch the wear bars). I could probably get a few more days from the tires, but one it gets into my head they have to go. The whole crowd sees about the same wear, with the faster guys (Kyle, Scott and Kenny) going through tires a little faster, and Finsl going through tires much faster (back on Pirellis). The rest of us are all running Dunlop, and I try to catch adjustments as they become necessary.


Signature by SpidermanSS. Thanks Shane!


Dan
R1-016 'Venom' Squadron Member
CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 Vmax 20th Anniversary 98 of 2000
04 Road Star Warrior


TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
DanQ is offline  
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Venom X/O
 
Gearheaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 21,328
I could only dream of getting more than 4 days out of a rear tire



Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline  
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 09:14 AM
R1 Forum Star
 
z064life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 15,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
I get about 10-12 days in per season. And I go about the whole season on a rear, much longer for a front. But I change the tires for comfort after so long (pretty much as soon as I touch the wear bars). I could probably get a few more days from the tires, but one it gets into my head they have to go. The whole crowd sees about the same wear, with the faster guys (Kyle, Scott and Kenny) going through tires a little faster, and Finsl going through tires much faster (back on Pirellis). The rest of us are all running Dunlop, and I try to catch adjustments as they become necessary.
That's fair..I'm hoping to start getting 4 days out of mine and if I can get more that would be great but I'll be happy with 4. I will run them really low at a track but I have a hard time when the tread is gone starting at a new track with them

I'm looking forward to having Kenny drag my ass around the track sometime now that I'm in the same group

Hey Greenstreak, it's z064life lazy ass

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline  
post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 01:52 PM
USMC/0369 1986-2008
 
franikk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: ...in every clime and place!
Posts: 5,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
Dan, I think we should define a season though. How many days do you get out of a set? I run ~20 days give or take a few/year. I can't imagine no matter how good my suspension is, unless I was MAYBE upper B group/slow I could I get 20 days out of a set

I happen to know you are NOT "slow"

If I keep my suspension right....and I watch my throttle (not good at ) I think I'll get 4 days or so out of mine. Barber was 2 days on a new set and I still have enough to get 1-2 more days for sure.
There is a boat load of variables of why you could be going through tires at a cyclic rate and it can get very frustrating trying to pin point the issue without pulling some hair out. You could be eating tires up just by being fast and hard on the throttle. But, is fast coming as a sacrifice of mismanagement of throttle, suspension, and tires or is it just the elements?


1. What tires are you running?
2. What pressures are you running?
3. What are your tire warmer temps and how are you cycling the warmers?
4. How long do you sit in pit-out/grid?
5. What compound are you running?
6. When coming out of a apex; how smooth are you and or do you hammer the throttle?
7. Are you running every session?
8. What does your chain slack look like?



CCS AM #326

Sponsored by:

DanQ Suspensions
Race Tech
Carolina Motorsports (803-530-4063)
Dunlop
BMC




franikk is offline  
post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Yamaha blue, in any color.
 
DanQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, NC USA
Posts: 23,563
Send a message via Yahoo to DanQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by franikk View Post
There is a boat load of variables of why you could be going through tires at a cyclic rate and it can get very frustrating trying to pin point the issue without pulling some hair out. You could be eating tires up just by being fast and hard on the throttle. But, is fast coming as a sacrifice of mismanagement of throttle, suspension, and tires or is it just the elements?


1. What tires are you running?
2. What pressures are you running?
3. What are your tire warmer temps and how are you cycling the warmers?
4. How long do you sit in pit-out/grid?
5. What compound are you running?
6. When coming out of a apex; how smooth are you and or do you hammer the throttle?
7. Are you running every session?
8. What does your chain slack look like?
I like #8. Since seeing that tire at CMP, you know now why it's at the top of my list


Signature by SpidermanSS. Thanks Shane!


Dan
R1-016 'Venom' Squadron Member
CCS #598
91 FZR 1000
04 YZF-R1

05 YZF-R6 (track bike)
05 Vmax 20th Anniversary 98 of 2000
04 Road Star Warrior


TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
DanQ is offline  
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 03:48 PM
R1 Forum Star
 
z064life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 15,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by franikk View Post
There is a boat load of variables of why you could be going through tires at a cyclic rate and it can get very frustrating trying to pin point the issue without pulling some hair out. You could be eating tires up just by being fast and hard on the throttle. But, is fast coming as a sacrifice of mismanagement of throttle, suspension, and tires or is it just the elements?


1. What tires are you running?
2. What pressures are you running?
3. What are your tire warmer temps and how are you cycling the warmers?
4. How long do you sit in pit-out/grid?
5. What compound are you running?
6. When coming out of a apex; how smooth are you and or do you hammer the throttle?
7. Are you running every session?
8. What does your chain slack look like?
1) 211 GPA (US) 190/55
2) cold 21B/31F (23/33 on warmers).
3) I don't cycle the warmers (155 degrees) Medium on chickhawk triple temps
4) I don't...usually ride right out. If I do it is no more than a minute or 2
5) Medium
6) I don't judge based on Apex. I start applying throttle as soon as I reach appropriate lean angle to make the corner. I do not hammer the throttle, but I can't say I'm the smoothest either. I apply it at a rate I believe I can handle.
7) I usually run every session, I typically run 15 min of it (not the full 20)
8) chain slack is good...if anything it is loose.


Ideas?

Hey Greenstreak, it's z064life lazy ass

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Last edited by z064life; 11-24-2012 at 03:53 PM.
z064life is offline  
post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 05:45 PM
USMC/0369 1986-2008
 
franikk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: ...in every clime and place!
Posts: 5,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
1) 211 GPA (US) 190/55
2) cold 21B/31F (23/33 on warmers).
3) I don't cycle the warmers (155 degrees) Medium on chickhawk triple temps
4) I don't...usually ride right out. If I do it is no more than a minute or 2
5) Medium
6) I don't judge based on Apex. I start applying throttle as soon as I reach appropriate lean angle to make the corner. I do not hammer the throttle, but I can't say I'm the smoothest either. I apply it at a rate I believe I can handle.
7) I usually run every session, I typically run 15 min of it (not the full 20)
8) chain slack is good...if anything it is loose.


Ideas?


lol Sounds like you are just riding the piss out it!



CCS AM #326

Sponsored by:

DanQ Suspensions
Race Tech
Carolina Motorsports (803-530-4063)
Dunlop
BMC




franikk is offline  
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 05:47 PM
R1 Forum Star
 
z064life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 15,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by franikk View Post
lol Sounds like you are just riding the piss out it!
well that advice won't save my tires any

Hey Greenstreak, it's z064life lazy ass

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline  
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Venom X/O
 
Gearheaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 21,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
well that advice won't save my tires any
Ride slower



Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline  
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 06:47 PM
R1 Forum Star
 
z064life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 15,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
Ride slower
Well show up to a trackday so you can show me your lines

Hey Greenstreak, it's z064life lazy ass

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline  
post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Venom X/O
 
Gearheaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 21,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
Well show up to a trackday so you can show me your lines
I said ride slower, not stop



Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline  
post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 06:55 PM
R1 Forum Star
 
z064life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 15,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
I said ride slower, not stop

Hey Greenstreak, it's z064life lazy ass

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline  
post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 PM
look for special phrase here
 
greenstreak9205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 9,842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Quit shaking your head, you're creating a draft!

The Man, The Legend Uncle P

Phantom Squadron CO Check Out Phantom Squadron Here
greenstreak9205 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome