Which exhaust has the most power gain? [Archive] - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

: Which exhaust has the most power gain?

vcentral
01-28-2002, 08:55 PM
Please give me some advice, which exhaust gain more HP?

1) Akrapovic Race full system
2) SBK Leo Vinci Race full system
3) Yoshimura RS-3 Duplex full system
4) Hindle Full system
5) Arrow Full System

All with stainless stell header but titanium link pipe and end can.

Thank you guys.

Droog
01-28-2002, 09:16 PM
Everyone says Akrapovics give the best power curve. You pay for it though

bridogr1
01-28-2002, 09:20 PM
I have a 2000 R1 with the Yoshi full system. After the system was put on I had my bike on the dyno. I got 146 or 147 hp. I am still trying to find the damn print out.

scud
01-29-2002, 07:09 AM
I don't wanna piss anyone off here, but I never did like the yosh pipes - I'm sure many of you do, but they do NOT yield the best curve - The akrapovic is definitely one of the top performing systems, I will be (most likely) going with an akrapovic slip on for my new 02 (I want to keep the EXUPs) However I've actually heard that the MOST HP gain coming from a HINDLE - I saw the dyno curve and the gains were astonishing - almost too good to be true..across the board gap-up with a peak difference of 15 HP!!! I've heard (not seen graphs though) that the Leo Vinci is a pretty real gain too - honestly you can go wrong with all three...And don't count out Micron - you may fall 2-4HP short of the others, but the sound and the linearity of more than worth the trade-off...Micron prides itself on developing pipes which do not create peaks and valleys- this will especially be the case for the 02 R1 (I spoe to micron a few days ago)

Twisted Logic
01-29-2002, 07:39 AM
You want to talk about an exhaust you will pay for but get great gains,go to www.satoracing.com They are in the process of making exhaust for Yamaha but read the gains on other bikes

r1cerocket
01-29-2002, 08:24 AM
Greg Crowe's site: http://members.tripod.com/~YZFR1/98yzfr1.html
Claimed 10 HP gain with no jetting and 12-14 HP with new jets for the M4 full system. I heard that M4s are a few bucks less than others with good quality. :)

SmokeEater
01-29-2002, 09:04 AM
My opinion on exhaust is that these bikes already have more than enough hp. Everyone talks about horse power but torque is where the fun is anyway. When I pipe and jet a bike I'm going for linear curves rather than power gains. You really need to look power, smoothness, and sound when you are choosing a pipe. When you get your pipe, get it dyno tuned too. If you don't, you might lose power with the pipe. I've seen that happen.

Its kind of funny that a company with such bad factory tuning uses a tuning fork for their logo.

vcentral
01-29-2002, 11:41 PM
In this case, can I rate it like this?

1.) Akrapovic
2.) Leo Vinci SBK
3.) Hindle
4.) Yoshi
5.) Arrow

Seems that no one is choosing Arrow.... by the way, in Singapore the price list as below and only few hundreds bucks different, I just wish I get a right one the few hundreds bucks is okay.

1.) Akraovic S$1,800.00
2.) Yoshi S$1,300.00
3.) Leo Vinci S$1,200.00
Hindle and Arrow unknown, cause no dealer here.

In Singapore, the Leo Vinci is not so famous, but the Akrapovic and Yoshimura are the most popular here. Just want to get some good exhaust to run in the Malaysian Sepang F-1 Circuit.

<JJ>
02-03-2002, 03:41 AM
See my post in 'Aftermarket exhaust systems' for more info. I have the Muzzy full system. only 12LB in weight, £399.00 (UK) and an increase from 128.3back wheel horse power to 142.1 Back Wheel Horse power!

Worth a look....

Pure HP
02-03-2002, 06:21 AM
I saw the same dyno on the Hindle. The pipes you named are very nice but don't forget about Two Bro. They give you a awesome increase in power evenmore with a dyno and the sound that is made from it stimulates me. I love the sound it makes and i will be getting me a full Two Bro carbon high mount in about 4 months. With a K&N stage 1. If any one has a full system with a stage 1 can you let me know what the power increase is please. Thanks:D

Josey
02-09-2002, 08:23 AM
Take a look at all but 1 or 2 of the AMA and World superbike teams. They all use Akropovic. That was enough to sway my decision. I bought a slip-on late last season and love it. You won"t be dissapointed! :cool: A full system will give you the most power increase but from all the research i"ve done before and after my purchase, the Ak slip on alone can give you anywhere from a 4 to 7 hp increase throughout.........not bad! I"ve seen dyno"s with full systems achieving a 19 hp inc which is awesome but if you"re not interested in spending alot then you"d be happy with the slip. Looks and sounds killer:rock

shawnr1
02-10-2002, 05:59 PM
HMF

rick25
02-10-2002, 06:14 PM
Dude, If you want the best you have to pay. Go with a full Akrapovic System and use Ivanís jet kit.

Itís been done
It's been prove
IT WORKS

Save yourself some headache and do it right the first time.:D

JAYSTENSEC4CYL
02-11-2002, 11:39 AM
Any slip-on will give about the same power gains, as this is not the most restrictive part of the R1 exaust. Just about any aftermarket full system will give you 10HP. Just removing the EXUP will give you a TOP end power gain (using an aftermarket header). The real money you spend should be for the pipe with the best (smooth!!) power curve.

In that case the Akrapovic does very well.:eek:

R1@150@alltimes
02-11-2002, 11:47 AM
Twisted, I checked out ur site and their having a clearance sale on a full exhaust system 4 only $499.00. As u said, the hp gains are impressive and the price isn't bad 4 a full exhaust, wonder what the catch is?
Here is the url
http://www.satoracing.com/clearancer1.htm

Josey
02-11-2002, 02:38 PM
What the hell does HMF mean?.................:rolleyes:

gilram01
02-11-2002, 07:16 PM
has anyone tried the graves motorsport system? all i have heard is that the akrapovic is great but pricey..

JAYSTENSEC4CYL
02-11-2002, 07:20 PM
I have heard some really good things about the GRAVES, but have no real life experience with them myself.

ChampionR1
02-11-2002, 11:07 PM
Josey HMF is a pipe :yesnod

Here is a pic of ShawnR1's bike He's got a HMF :

http://www.r1-forum.com/upload/members/pictures/301/DSC00233.JPG

vintcs
02-15-2002, 03:39 AM
hi, is akrapovic the same as scorpion exhaust?:eek:

Swedie
02-15-2002, 03:40 AM
vintcs: they are spelled different .. and shaped differently.. so they probably aren't.. :no

Droog
02-15-2002, 03:50 AM
Akropovics used to be called Scorpion, about 7-8 years ago. But there were copyright infringments with the original Scorpion exausts so the name was changed to Akropovic.

Swedie
02-15-2002, 03:59 AM
heh. Didn't know that. Thanks for the info Droog.

vintcs: never trust me

horishima
03-06-2002, 02:09 AM
I just got a Hindle and was very dissappointed with the quality of the pipes, I recieved them unfinished, no powder coating no nothing, it was pretty sad.. does anyone else have a hindle exhaust please let me know

Thanks

liquidsilver
03-10-2002, 08:47 PM
hindle are a cheap but effective system. very popular at the track where $ counts and looks don't. racers like them because they work and they are cheap to replace when you crash.

know some guys with the sato on their r6 race bikes and they work great as far as making the power. i would not hesitate to buy sato if you like the look.

i can say from my experience that the akro system with ivans needles totally transforms the r1 and will give you huge grins. quality is top notch too.

matt

martinc
03-10-2002, 09:48 PM
most power gains....age old question.

all bikes will react differently to those pipes...climate,elevation,tuner,gas,etc...

whatever rock your boat is the answer you"re looking for.

btw,the yosh has the very same power curve as the akrapovic...and so is the hindle,the arrow or any other well-built systems...

dont dream because of cyber hype.

akrapovic ARE NOT the best pipes on earth.

good,but not the best.