Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Daijiro Kato fighting for his life-

6K views 79 replies 61 participants last post by  crash2 
#1 ·
Daijiro Kato is in a coma and fighting for his life after a horrific crash in the MotoGP race in Suzuka on Sunday.

GP medic Dr Claudio Costa said Kato had a " 15 per cent chance " of pulling through when MCN spoke to him on Sunday.

Even if Kato does regain consciousness, Dr Costa believes the former world 250cc champion would be paralysed from the nose down, and would not be able to breath without a ventilator for the rest of his life.

The 26-year-old Japanese rider suffered massive head, neck and chest injuries when he lost control of his Honda RCV at the end of lap three at Suzuka.

As the race continued, marshals and medics rushed to his aid. Doctors confirmed he was found in a comatose state and his heart had stopped beating. He was placed on a stretcher and taken to a trackside ambulance, where they started heart massage.

After emergency treatment at the circuit’s medical centre, Kato was airlifted to the Mie General Medical Centre in Yokkiachi. He was immediately put on a life support machine where friends and family are still holding a bedside vigil.

" Kato remains in a coma and he is fighting for his life. It is very difficult to talk about the future, but the initial 24 to 48 hours are going to be critical, " said Claudio Macchiagodena, of the Clinica Mobile

Race Director Paul Butler said, " The accident occurred on the approach to the chicane in the braking zone. There were no marks on the track that indicated what could have caused the crash. We have reviewed all video evidence and frankly we are none the wiser. "

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Man this sucks! I hate hearing or even seeing this stuff. Its part of the sport but the circumstances around it sound a little strange?.

#9 ·
That's terrible to hear. That crash was pretty ugly.

#12 ·
:(

Damn, that is really sad...my prayers go out to him and his family.

#13 ·
Very sad but WTF were the trackworkers / safety personnel thinking ?!?!?! The Race should have been RED FLAGGED !!
Also - Did anybody see the way they handled him ??? A crash like that and they just picked him up and dropped him without a worry. It is unforgivable the way the accident was handled.

#14 ·
I thought the same thing when I watched them throw him into that stretcher.
My heart goes out to him and his family. I wish them all the luck in the world.

#16 ·
NoudR1 said:
Very sad but WTF were the trackworkers / safety personnel thinking ?!?!?! The Race should have been RED FLAGGED !!
Also - Did anybody see the way they handled him ??? A crash like that and they just picked him up and dropped him without a worry. It is unforgivable the way the accident was handled.
I agree wtf were they thinking of...they handled Kato like sack of potatoes:machinegu .

I hope he makes it:(

#17 ·
Yeah, know what you all mean by the way they handled him - it didn't look good. Maybe it was afterthey realised his heart had stopped and they just needed to get him somewhere fast for proper attention to save his life. It's so tragic, very sad indeed, even the best outlook is very grim. So sad when he has a young family and was such a great prospect.

In my thoughts...

#23 ·
:( I'm so sorry for him. I like Kato a lot. Great racer.
I was watching the race live and when they show Kato on the ground with reckage of is bike i new it was serious.
If he survives just to be a living vegetal, it's better for him to rest now.
I'll pray for him his family.:( :(

#24 ·
:(

Sucks. He was a good up and comming rider. I hope he pulls through, but if he is paralyzed from the nose down and needs to always be on a ventilator, then it might be better if he just passes away.

In any event, my prayers go out to him and his family.

- BA

#26 ·
I was shocked at the way they just casually threw him on a stretcher and carried him off. WTF were they thinking??? They didnt take any consideration in the fact he may have a spinal injury. Ever seen a foiotball game where there is a possibility of a spinal injury??? They take every precaution and usually delays the game by 20 minutes...but so be it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.