Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Flexxx's '09 R1/1098 "Yamacati" Build

52K views 132 replies 55 participants last post by  MotoMillion 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I bought this 09 R1 that had been wrecked. The guy who originally owned it wrecked it after a few days of buying it, he didn't even have insurance on it. So I picked it up for $500 bucks from a wrecker service AND I get the title to the bike.

The Bad:
Frame and subframe are busted
The fairings are gone
Front fairing stay, gauges, headlights, controls are all gone
Front rim is bent
Radiator is collapsed
Left stator cover is busted
Few other minor things

The Good:
The engine only has three days of riding, so its near new.
Front forks are good
Rear rim/tire are good
Swingarm/shock are good
Few other minor things are good

Enjoy the build

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Well these are my figures:
$1000 Blank Frame
$250 Subframe
$200 Radiator
$200 in the Controls
$500 Aftermarket Fairings
$1800 Carrozzeria Wheels
$250 Rearsets
$500 Front Clip (headlights, gauges, etc.)
And a few other odds and ends.

A used one would run $8000-$9000. So I'm looking at having $5000-$6000 in the bike and have it exactly like I want it.

#7 ·
It's commendable, but I have to agree with the others. It is going to take a lot of time to find the parts you are looking for at the figures you have, and then the cash to accomplish it. I think the only way you'll come out fairly cheap is to make it a track only bike, restoring it to stock or street use will cost some coin.

If you haven't changed your mind, I have some of the parts you are looking for. PM me.

#8 ·
Yep, wont be worth it you just listed major stuff, but little things cost alot of money. Bolts etc, little piece here and there adds up. Wont be worht fixing. Part it out use that money and get a used one. With the money you make from this part out you will be in the 6k range at the end of the day and youll have a bike that was not in that condition in the pics. :)

A nice used 09 r1 8000, you can make at least 2500 from this part out ;)

#16 ·
According to the owner of the wrecker service, he survived. Thats all I know about it. But he definitely took a hard spill, so if he did survive, he better be on his knees and saying thanks.

#17 ·
Heh no doubt. I laid my R1 down, thank god I'm alive! Hit a patch of sand in the White Mountains Kancamengus highway. So far on the cosmetic damages, I've spent 1500 bucks on plastic, rims and tank. Parts are expensive. The guys on the forum are saying, 8-9K sounds about right, plus all the labor. If you're planning to sell it down the road, its not gonna worth much.
Document everything, or a youtube journal, you can turn this into a absolute best How-To guide.

#18 ·
If you're in no hurry you might be able to run across the parts you need if you are patient. Thats going to be one hell of a rebuild. You definitly have a challenge on your hands.....

#19 · (Edited)
Here's an update for all the gear heads...

I took about a year off this project to go to school, but I've been back at it here this past Summer. The bike is currently off to the welding shop to get chopped and screwed (the Ducati 1098 swing arm modded to fit the bike and the frame re-welded). I did the Ducati 1098 subframe mod myself since it is a steel frame, along with the exhaust mods to accommodate the new tail, but I'll gladly leave the aluminum welding to someone with a lot more experience.

#22 ·
Awesome can't wait to see the finish project

Sent from L.A.

#23 ·
I appreciate the optimism. I do stuff like this because it's what I like. It's somewhat of a passion. It also pays off when someone comes up to you and goes "Hey I like your R1, or Ducati, or... well what is it?" Thats a big goal I'm trying to accomplish, the "what is that?" factor. haha

#26 ·
The engine had been sitting up and the rings and pistons had seen better days. I highly doubt they had any significant damage(just needed to be cleaned up) but to be on the safe side, I replaced the whole top end. New cylinder, pistons, rods, rings, pins. The bottom end of the engine was immaculate. As far as an engine start up, no. When the engine was disassembled, it was gone through by a tech guy at a big local dealership and he showed no doubt in the engine. (mainly because it only had 13** miles on it)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.