Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2012 R1 Ohlins Damper?

3K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  playero_loko 
#1 ·
heard that the OEM r1 steering damper isnt good and should be replaced
so going to the various websites i notice they come in different stroke lengths like 63, 68 90 and 120mm.

question is which do i get form my bike??

#6 ·
It's super easy to replace the oem damper. If you can change your oil you can swap the damper.

Most of the oem electronic ones suck as they are mass produced and cheap. They just don't always keep your front end smooth and at times won't stop headshake. However, with good suspension set up you may never have an issue.

The Ohlins unit is bulletproof though. We haven't had anyone with a quality issue at all. There is reason most every pro goes with Ohlins :fact If you ride in hard enough conditions or push hard enough to warrant the use of a damper then you'll notice the difference between the oem one and the Ohlins.

However, most importantly is making sure your suspension is set up. A damper shouldn't be used to mask another issue your bike is having (if you have front end issues).

#10 ·
You're missing the second part (and cheap). Also the high end aftermarket ones are not mass produced to even 1/500th of bike sales. Their oem models on the kawi's are lower quality and mass produced and cheap though. Their high end aftermarket ones are done in much smaller quantities, tolerances are better, better dampening, etc. Night and day difference with the ohlins oem stuff and their aftermarket stuff. The damper he's looking at on our website is their aftermarket/high end version though.

#11 ·
im not missing the point, look for instance if the ohlins damper has change for the lst 7-10 years at all??? it is the very same style and body... very minor adjustments if any so to say that they're "better" because they're being mass produced in smaller quantities isnt saying that the product should be better!

remember that not only do they have the same body & style for all bikes the only thing that changes is the mounting points but other than that, you couldnt tell the damper from my old 2009 aprilia rsv from any 2005 kawasaki 10zxr!!!

can you possibly tell the difference from a off the shelf ohlins damper and a "mass production" one???

#18 ·
I have a zx6r and r1 and the guys at my bike shop tole me the ohlin oem are nothing
like the ohlins special order because of liability reasons, dont know why but a lot of people say that about the oems so i believe it. i tried adj the oem and nothing changed

#19 ·
It won't change due to that bleed hole that doesn't adjust. Well, it will a little, but it's not going to do much.

If you paint the damper black just be sure not to get any on the moving parts at all or you could cause it to leak. Just gotta be careful or tape it all off very well.

#20 ·
I guess since the form and body of something never changes, that means the internals don't change at all. Shame on Ohlins for turning us all into sheep for the last 7 years :shake

Where's your evidence that they haven't changed 'if any at all'? :confused:

#21 ·
:1pok: when was the last time you saw any advertisement regarding a newly redesigned damper by ohlins??? :no it hasnt happen because more than likely it hast be done!!!

its pretty simple and i'll give you a prime example, when was the lsat time you heard yamaha said "introducing the newly resigned R1..." ??? back in 2009, correct?! right, so if you include the 2013s now how many hears has it been since 09??? over 5 years that no engine modification has been done to the engine!

so you think that other people are going to be redesigning damper yearly just because?! :2bitchsla cmon dude, it doesnt make sense in any way!!!

not to forget that beasically everyone is saying that a company like ohlins were given a contract like for instance from aprilia, kawis used to their dampers, and that the company was like: "well, since we 2 major contracts with aprilia and kawi we're gonna put our lowest and crappiest product on those bikes so that we force them into purchasing a "aftermarket" damper from us again..."

it' so stupid to even consider that once a company has a contract with anyone (specially as much as these 2 bike makers were prolly paying ohlins for their product) that they (bike companies) would accept a subpar product or that ohlins would simply give them the lowest quality that they produce just to prove a point that their "aftermarket" is better than the "issued" damper! :1pok: wake up people!!! :2bitchsla

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.