Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Chain cleaning?

12K views 55 replies 33 participants last post by  Sharksawyer 
#1 ·
The oil, grime and such has blackened my chain, how can I clean it and with what?

#4 ·
The best way to remove all the grime is to use a product called Araldite.

This is available from most hardware stores. Follow the instructions on the packet, and apply lots all over then chain. When it dries it will stick to the grime which will then easily fall away.

By far the best way, although a little smelly :hellobye

#7 ·
I put my rear end up on a stand, squirt some goo-gone on a rag and go to town spinning the tire and hold the rage on all sides of the chain. Comes out spotless! Followed by a good coating of chain lube (haven't formed a preference yet... I think I'm using Liquid Wrench Chain lube) and then I make sure to clean up the wheel afterwards. The goo-gone does WONDERS on built up lube and grime.

#8 ·
#10 ·
NEVER seen a chain maker recommend WD40. I have seen and used kerosene.
'Motul' makes a aerosol cleaner for oring/xring chains. It is Safe for oring/xring chians.
This works well and is EZ to store.
Unlike a gallon jug of kerosene. Messey and smelly.
I also use a GRUNGE Brush to clean the chain. It is a 3-sided brush made to clean chains.

#12 ·
The old wd40/kerosense argument has been going on for years. There is no data showing it harms anything. In fact we have had orings sitting in both to see what happens and after 6 months of some sitting in the fluid and some being dunked in then left out to dry and back in we see no change in any of the orings at all. All are still super flexible and appear fine. Many have used wd40 for years and years without any issues.

In our opinion it's like how to break in an motor or what oil is best. They all are the same in real world tests. Sure one mine prove to be 1% better or 2% better here and there under VERY specific/scientific tests, but under real world circumstances we have seen no data to show one better then another. But that doesn't mean it won't be argued on forums for as long as the net is around LOL.

#18 · (Edited)
wd40 is great for cleaning the chain.. i dont like to run it solely to protect the chain so i use Maxima CHAIN WAX and clean/repeat every 800kms or so :yesnod

Reactions: milheim05
#20 ·
I tried a bottle of the dupont chain cleaner at walmart. It works really well. Has a kerosene like scent. Id wear gloves as the smell lingers even after using hand cleaner. That and the grunge brush.

Tip....use a pc of cardboard behing the chain to keep eveeything off the tire.

I may pick up one of those chain drain kits.

Btw, the stock did chain on the 2015 is garbage. None of my chain lubes stop it from rusting and squeeking. After a 100 mile ride it sounds and looks like its been outside sitting for 3 years.
Its going in the trash in a few weeks.

#37 ·
I tried a bottle of the dupont chain cleaner at walmart. It works really well.
i just started using this one as well!! DUPONT with Teflon chain wax, its a bit cleaner than the Maxima i posted above... it sure does spit a fair bit when you 1st spray it on but as long as you remove any excess it will not make a mess.. I find it takes me half the time to clean the chain so obviously the teflon is doing what its supposed to which is reject any dirt, oils and road grime from sticking to the chain ... which is absolutely awesome!!

i can no longer recommend Maxima chain wax, its just too messy

#21 · (Edited)
bought a can of honda chain cleaner(no scent) and yamalube onroad chain lube. will see if it works better on this chain than the pj1 blue label which worked great on my ek mvxz but not at all on this stock chain. it's full of rust for no reason and squeaks terribly after a ride. of course the ek is a lot better of a chain than this stock one.
this stock chain is going when I get new tires.

#22 ·
I was told WD 40 was bad to use because it's a penetrating lubricant and can destroy o rings, break down the factory grease inside, and cause chain failure. Any insight??

#25 ·
I use Kerosene and a 3-sided chain brush and it works great for me. Kerosene is crazy cheap too, $1's worth will probably last you 6 months, maybe a year.

Just do it on the street, the black shit that comes off will be wherever it falls UNTIL THE END OF TIME. I clean my chain about every other time that I lube it now. Gold chains are great for letting you know when it's dirty.

#26 ·
just to let everyone know the yamaha onroad lube is pretty darn good lube. I put it on 3 weeks ago and the chain is still oily. the can of pj1 blue label I have is low and it has a rattle ball in the can so maybe all the lubricant is used up in it. but I will be using the yamaha lube for a while. it's clear and does a great job of staying oily.

#27 ·
just to let everyone know the yamaha onroad lube is pretty darn good lube. I put it on 3 weeks ago and the chain is still oily. the can of pj1 blue label I have is low and it has a rattle ball in the can so maybe all the lubricant is used up in it. but I will be using the yamaha lube for a while. it's clear and does a great job of staying oily.
Hi Randy,
What do you mean by the text above that is underlined/highlighted?

Also, how is the Yamaha chain lube regarding flinging? Does it stay on the chain the same and/or better than the PJ1 Blue Label?

Thanks,
-John

#32 ·
guys this honda chain cleaner is the best stuff I've ever tried. it doesn't seem to hurt the paint on the 2015 magnesium rims either. and it takes off oil/grease in an instant. can be rinsed off with water too. I've never seen any cleaners work this well.
this and a grunge brush and the chain looks like you just installed it.

#35 ·
that can is the same size as Danny :crash

Pedrosa

#34 · (Edited)
Kerosene has to be purchased by the gallon and its not sold everywhere. And it has a awdul lingering scent that doesnt wash off your hands. Ive tried it since i use it in my heater. It does clean well but that scent is terrible. And it doesnt rinse off with water like the honda cleaner. Then there is the issue of applying it. Too much work and hassle of using it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.