Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Fezz's Matte Grey 12 build thread

53K views 142 replies 67 participants last post by  Enrique777 
#1 · (Edited)
Had my 2012 Matte Grey R1 now for about 2 weeks (this colour is now available in the US as a 2013 model) and have already started changing and modifying a few things here and there. Only got 400 kilometres on it at the moment so I haven't had a chance to take it for a "proper" ride yet.

Got lots more parts on the way and look forward to getting it complete ASAP. I wanted this build to be tastefully done using the best quality components available.

Currently has the following parts fitted:
- Akrapovic full Evolution system, titanium headers & Y Pipe with carbon end caps
- OEM Yamaha rear seat cowl
- Belly pan off 50th Anniversary GP edition
- GYTR carbon fibre tank panels
- Evotech pillion footrest removal kit
- Evotech fender eliminator
- Rizoma Action indicators (rear)
- Rizoma Rev rearsets
- Rizoma Sportline grips
- Rizoma bar ends
- Rizoma pick up spools
- Rizoma engine protecters (left and right)
- Rizoma fuel cap
- Rizoma front and rear wheel sliders
- Rizoma oil cap

Parts which I've got but not fitted:
- GYTR frame sliders
- GYTR air filter
- Power Commander 5
- Rizoma front and rear reservoirs (changing when brake lines arrive)

Parts which have been ordered but haven't arrived:
- Clever Wolf carbon front fender
- Clever Wolf carbon rear hugger
- Clever Wolf carbon tank pad (these items have landed in Australia, just waiting to clear customs so should have them this week)
- ASV C5 shorty levers in black
- Spiegler brake lines in carbon/smoke colour front and rear
- Graves smog block off plates
- Galfer wave discs front & rear
- PVM forged alloy wheels 7Y spoke in gloss black (arriving late December / early January depending how PVM go)
- DID ERV3 520 chain & Renthal front sprocket (these will not go on until the new wheels arrive as I will do this in one hit)
- Dunlop Q2 tyres (these will go on with new wheels)
- GYTR carbon airbox cover (available mid January)
- Lightech chain adjusters in black (should be arriving this week)
- Watsen flush mount indicators (order placed but may take a little while as Roger needs to see a 2013 in person to get a perfect colour match)

I'm sure there are some other little bits and pieces I've missed out, can't wait to get all the parts on and start enjoying it. I'm sure once this is complete I will want to do even more further down the track!

I'll keep you updated with photos as some of the goodies arrive.

Matt

See less See more
#110 ·
:stpd:
beautiful

#12 ·
Nice one Fezz, our builds have a great deal in common. I just fitted the Akrapvic Y pipe yesterday and i re-fitted the heat shield but it hides the Ti and looks a little off! Did you try fitting the heat shield to the Y pipe and how do you find the heat without it now?
Mike

#16 ·
Thanks all, appreciate the comments.

Mike,
I chose not to fit the standard heat shields as I like the cleaner look of seeing the Y Pipe. Unfortunately I still have the lugs on the pipe which I am going to get cut off, if it doesn't look good I will just buy a new Y Pipe without any of the mounting points attached.

To be honest, the heat is actually less than standard (probably mostly due to the cat), but the heat probably disperses a little better now.

Looks much sexier without the covers!

Matt

#18 ·
ohhh im soo glad i bought the matte grey. im gonna do the laco belly pan and some rizoma bits and goodies my self in a few weeks.

good lookin man your gonna have a twin here in a few weeks!

#22 ·
ok i'll try that then as it's looking like a nightmare to get the plug out between the frame and the engin! One last question. I'm running ECUnleashed and the Akra Y pipe WITHOUT a PCV. Do i leave the 02 sensor in place or do i run with the Y pipe plugged?
Cheers for your help man, i have the bike in bits in the garage right now lol!
Mike

#28 ·
Sorry for the thread jack Fezz. Carry on mate!
Mike

#32 ·
So a package arrived for me at work today...

This would have to be some of the nicest carbon fibre I have ever seen in my life. A front fender, rear hugger and tank pad from Clever Wolf Racing in Japan. Photos do not do it justice at all, not a single imperfection! www.cwr.co.jp

Now to go fit it. :cool:

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.