Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Headwork Winter Project

2M views 21K replies 174 participants last post by  Jan Okal 
#1 Ā· (Edited)
Hey there guys, thought some of you might find this interestingā€¦

Iā€™m doing some headwork on my 2003 R1 over winter. I own a bike shop in the UK and itā€™s getting up to the quiet period for me and I have been planning to do this for a long time.
Because I own a bike shop I obviously have access to the workshop, tools and resources to do work like this and it got me thinking, what I can do to my engine to make it the way I want with the minimum amount of money spent. Iā€™m on quite a tight budget (owning a bike shop hasnā€™t made me the millionaire I hoped it would but I wouldnā€™t change it for the world!). I have a list of things I plan to do which Iā€™ll go into in a bit.

Firstly, Iā€™d like to say thanks to a few people on here whoā€™ve helped me out already with the info/specs I was missing and given me some great advice as to going about things. They know who they are. Also, thanks to the people who make this great source of information possible, the guys who run this forum. :beer

For future readers, please check out this thread also as it contains some very useful info on tools I use and additional information from other users.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185329 Thanks to BSR-1 for starting that thread.

See less See more
#20,401 Ā·
I wish I knew.....:dunno
I learned most of what I know from the guys on this thread, (and a few others).
This has to be one of the greatest threads of all time!

If it truly has come to an end I'd like to thank all of you who've help me along the way (you know who you are). The knowledge that I've gained would be virtually irreplaceable by any other means!

I hope it comes back but somethings never can (or will).

I guess I'll just ride on! :scoots:

#20,402 Ā·

If it truly has come to an end I'd like to thank all of you who've help me along the way (you know who you are). The knowledge that I've gained would be virtually irreplaceable by any other means!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNdagpIgItw
Yes some great guys and great threads but forums seem to have lost the plot the last couple of years.
Facebook seems to be where its at now. There is an R1 group on there which a few guys on here are on now.
Spend most of my time on a couple of car forums now as i'm fed up with the politics of superbikes and there is waaaaaay more money in car motors.
Been playing with my car most of this year but now breaking that up for spares. About to buy a new unit then next year might look for a new project. Here is the car. To give you an example, the motor in this with turbo kit and ecu and clutch and gearbox mods etc would set you back about $50k but it matches a factory honda superbike on accel on the logging :) Try spending that kind of money on your bike motor!

#20,404 Ā·
HOLY CRAP! That thing winds out fast!
Check my other youtube videos. There is one called headon. Its coming towards the camera through the gears. Tell me that sounds like a car or a bike?!! You need to turn the sound up though

#20,405 Ā·

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNdagpIgItw
Yes some great guys and great threads but forums seem to have lost the plot the last couple of years.
Facebook seems to be where its at now. There is an R1 group on there which a few guys on here are on now.
Spend most of my time on a couple of car forums now as i'm fed up with the politics of superbikes and there is waaaaaay more money in car motors.
Been playing with my car most of this year but now breaking that up for spares. About to buy a new unit then next year might look for a new project. Here is the car. To give you an example, the motor in this with turbo kit and ecu and clutch and gearbox mods etc would set you back about $50k but it matches a factory honda superbike on accel on the logging :) Try spending that kind of money on your bike motor!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_1UZ1qOvMQ&feature=plcp
While I'm inclined to agree with Tim on the declination of Forums (as it's a reality), inasmuch as it goes for this Forum and this thread much of it pertains to one members absence. Due to the absence of Greg, several have taken a stand of "solidarity" as it were, to be absent from the Forum until some other time, or permanently. I can't speak for each individual, but I've conversed with some; and their opinions are supportive of what I'm saying.

But I don't think it's all dead. Although we are missing the interaction of folks that I'd really like to see participate in discussion, we still see some new innovation and many requests for information that is older model based. And while Mark has chosen to be one of the absent, it's his choice and I respect that. Hopefully he will think otherwise and rejoin the conversation here. If not, and the conversation runs dormant long enough, what is probably one of the largest (and most delightfully rambling) threads will become dormant and move to archives. Hopefully not though. That's why I occasionally bump it with unimportant suspension info :sing:

#20,413 Ā·
He's having cooling issues. Regularly hits 220+ when coming off the track, fills the res bottle...he's put on a graves 1.8bar cap and all that jazz. I'm guessing he's looking at possibilities of what it would take to tear it all down. Again...I'm guessing :lol

#20,414 Ā·
You could do it in a day. Some Could do it faster but I'd allow a day for myself.
Is your gasket bad?
Not sure

He's having cooling issues. Regularly hits 220+ when coming off the track, fills the res bottle...he's put on a graves 1.8bar cap and all that jazz. I'm guessing he's looking at possibilities of what it would take to tear it all down. Again...I'm guessing :lol
This!

Any insight would be helpful.

#20,416 Ā· (Edited)
Plus, why not throw in a couple yec gaskets :sneaky
Normally I'd say, "why not", but if it's already too hot adding more compression (torque/power) will only make it worse.

1) Have you verified that there are no air bubbles in the coolant system?
2) are the fans coming on properly?
3) do you have any intake leaks that are letting in more air and thus leaning out the fuel/air mixture?
4) I assume that you have a custom fueling map and the ratio is in the safe zone?

#20,417 Ā·
Normally I'd say, "why not", but if it's already too hot adding more compression (torque/power) will only make it worse.

1) Have you verified that there are no air bubbles in the coolant system?
2) are the fans coming on properly?
3) do you have any intake leaks that are letting in more air and thus leaning out the fuel/air mixture?
4) I assume that you have a custom fueling map and the ratio is in the safe zone?
1- I've flushed this thing many times to try and get the air bubbles out, and I'm pretty confident it's clear. When I just putz around the cooling system works flawlessly. When I'm on track she doesn't overheart, but when I slow down after a session the temp skyrockets.
2- fans are perfect
3- bike is a 09 and the air intake system seems ok. Everything is where it needs to be.
4- The bike has a flashā€“tune flashed ECU but hasn't been on a dyno

#20,419 Ā·
1- I've flushed this thing many times to try and get the air bubbles out, and I'm pretty confident it's clear. When I just putz around the cooling system works flawlessly. When I'm on track she doesn't overheart, but when I slow down after a session the temp skyrockets.
2- fans are perfect
3- bike is a 09 and the air intake system seems ok. Everything is where it needs to be.
4- The bike has a flashā€“tune flashed ECU but hasn't been on a dyno
Are you shutting the motor down after a session? Letting the fans run to cool the radiator coolant and then starting to circulate it? Any additional fan use in the pits?

All the 09+ we run with have similar issues, but we manage pretty well with additional fans and running the cooling fan a few minutes then starting the engine. It's a pain in the rear on 100+ days, but they haven't overheated and haven't puked fluids.

#20,420 Ā·
Any other mods? Exhaust, PC-V???
3/4 Leo SBK and bmc filter. Pretty much it
Are you shutting the motor down after a session? Letting the fans run to cool the radiator coolant and then starting to circulate it? Any additional fan use in the pits?

All the 09+ we run with have similar issues, but we manage pretty well with additional fans and running the cooling fan a few minutes then starting the engine. It's a pain in the rear on 100+ days, but they haven't overheated and haven't puked fluids.
Yea i have fans in the pits and kill the bike before it overheats, but my higher priority problem is the coolant filling the over flow during track riding. I am afraid it is going to spit coolant out of the overflow tube and soak the rear tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.