Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Ohlins FG327 FG43 Road & Track front fork service howto video

9K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  YzRacer212 
#1 ·
This is a video I made & posted on YouTube which outlines servicing the Ohlins front forks - specifically the FG43 25mm forks. The video covers tear down and reassembly, changing/setting oil level, removing and installing seals. It also shows how to construct a wooden fork vise for about $5, which can be used to securely hold the fork tubes (without damage) while servicing the forks.

The video is about an hour and a half in length. I think it gives a pretty good run down of what it's like to open up and service a set of motorcycle front forks.

Enjoy

Ray

#3 ·
This is pure awesome dude!
thank you so much for the time you put in!
we need more vids like these! :fact

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks! Yeah, I haven't added the annotations in the video yet on YouTube (i.e. the video link to Dave Moss' video). I was so tired last night, I just posted it here and then went to sleep.

I'm going to go back later today or tonight and add the clickable link to the video. In the meantime, here's the direct link:

Ray

#7 ·
I know right? I thought it was going to be worse, but once I dug into it, it wasn't too bad. Just gotta have the vise and a couple of simple tools.

The first fork took me like 1.5 hours. After that, the 2nd one only took about 20-30 minutes to do from start to finish.

Ray

#13 ·
I am sure that's a great video, but my internet isn't exactly up to speed for watching it. Maybe someone in this thread could help me out with a little info. I have a 2002 R1, that I purchased with R&T forks already installed. It's time to service them and I am having a hard time finding exactly which model they are, and where to find the parts I need. Anyone have some suggestions?

#17 ·
Do you have the entire Ohlins R&T forks or just the internals inside of the OEM forks tubes? As mentioned, if they are the full Ohlins forks, there should be a number stamped on the bottom as I recall. Or post a picture. You can also search Ohlins' website and maybe find the model # for your year bike.

Ray

#18 ·

It's a 2002, and I am in Afghanistan right now so I can't check for a number. They are the complete forks, and they started leaking at my last track day. I suspect I would just need seals, wipers, and oil, although I may go for some heavier springs as I have fattened up to 190lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.