Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

HOW TO: Do It Yourself Lightweight Battery

215K views 996 replies 102 participants last post by  NZ_R1 
#1 ·
ok , here it goes .
i will write a detailed description on how to make super lightweight battery on your own , for much less $$ then the stock battery .

some data :
stock battery weight - 4.616kg (4616 gram)
lightweight battery weight - 698gram (including all the wires attached to it in the pic) if constructed same way as i will describe here.

baterry capacity :
stock - 10A/H (on my model bike anyway)
lightweight - 4.6A/H
so , what this basically means is ,on stock battery , u can push the start button with the coils disconnected for approx 5 minuts before a fresh charged new battery drains.
with lightweight battery u will be able to push the starter for approx 2 minutes and a few secs before it drains.
for those who use any kind of alarm system on the bike , if u dont start the bike for long periods ,it will probably drain the lightweight battery faster also , but i'm not sure , because this battery is pretty amazing at keeping the nominal voltage for a long periods of time , unlike the stock battery . so i didnt test yet how this battery behaves with an alarm system installed .

on the left , its stock R1 battery , lightweight battery is on the right .
(dont mind the 5 small wires for now , more on that later)

Attachments

See less See more
#955 ·
I made one of these batteries when the thread was started, Its still working fine. But I bought a track bike lately and as I bought extra cells a few years back that I never used I wanted to assemble another one. I have everything apart from the bars to joint the batteries. not having much luck finding them. Has anyone a link so as I can buy them?

#956 ·
I have an entire packet left. How many do you need? Pay for postage?

Edit, my batteries are working as well, I do have to disconnect after every ride though.

#961 ·
i dont think the yec rotor charges faster . its smaller race rotor .
anyways , faster charging can degrade the battery (if you'll ever be able to reach 20A charging rates).

#963 ·
Hi guys, Ive got a kit generator

The main thing you will have to get used to if it's anything like mine is the fact that it only generates power after 3000 rpm

I run 1 headlight to cut the load but if you are using HIDs it should help

If you fanny about cruising then it's not for you

I am also using a lithium battery

#965 ·
SSS R1 nice write up mate thinking of doinf the same as you have done.
Sorry if this has been asked already Ive looked thought the pages and couldnt find anything.

Does the battery as you have it charge with the bike running like the OEM one would? or do you have to disconect the alternator from the battery and charge from a special charger when in the garage or something?? anything like that?

#966 ·
SSS R1 nice write up mate thinking of doinf the same as you have done.
Sorry if this has been asked already Ive looked thought the pages and couldnt find anything.

Does the battery as you have it charge with the bike running like the OEM one would? or do you have to disconect the alternator from the battery and charge from a special charger when in the garage or something?? anything like that?
yes , it charges with bike running ,as regular battery on your bike .

#973 ·
:bow Thank you very much for this thread. I have been looking to buy a li-ion batery for my precious as the lead acid battery ,which is in the bike now, is on its way out. I found these batteries today would they work? I am not that clued up when it comes to electronics, posting and spelling.... :saw: It is alot like a normal AA battery just larger.

Attachments

#974 ·
#982 ·
But what if you ant to charge it :)

There is no info on that. Maybe i want to try one for my freestyle jetski but they have no alternator. It's just an ignition that runs for 30 min and then needs to be recharged.

Greetings,
if you dont want to charge the battery for a total loss system , i would suggest li-po batteries , as they have much higher power-weight
density then a123 batteries . get some at hobbyking , use their li-po chargers to charge it later , and dont over discharge the battery.

#986 · (Edited)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-PCS-New-A...US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item2c71e1e823

Or these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A123-2300ma...US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item2ecded22c5

Or even better?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-cell-A123...US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item2c703d49fb

Reviving an old thread. I just found this and am very interested in making this battery, the link I posted above is the closet thing I have found to the batteries I think this calls for can someone view this and let me know. Thank you for any help.

#991 ·
yeah , even 120A will do it , but you will be pushing the battery hard , and have no "spare" .
a123 batteries rated 30c continuous and 60c burst .
with the newer a123 cells you get 5AH battery when using 8 cells , so burst current is 300A

honestly i never tested any other lifepo4 then a123 . there are better lipo (not lifepo4) batteries today with much higher discharge current (as you can see on hobbyking), but unfortunately lipos cannot be used with standard bike charging system .
most of the current ratings are over hyped though .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.