Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

R1-Forum Presents Dave Moss

14K views 77 replies 34 participants last post by  DanQ 
#1 · (Edited)
As many who know me are aware I have been in contact with Dave Moss for a few years, and he's been a fantastic sounding board for more complicated issues and questions. He and I recently discussed doing motorcycle model specific web casts on ustream, where he will present information on that model for approximately 30 minutes, and then we will have a 30 minute "Ask Dave" session where questions can be asked of him pertaining to the specific motorcycle.

We are kicking off a once-a-month, four month session with the Yamaha YZF-R1 next Wednesday, 7 November 2012. Future R1 dates will be posted here, and we will be following up with the YZF-R6 on 14 November 2012. After the four months (off season) we will discuss following up with a webcast once every three months so members will have the opportunity to learn more as their riding/track/race seasons progress.

This is a rare opportunity for riders, racers, and tuners to learn from an established and professional source in our community. I've been fortunate enough to build a rapport with Dave Moss and I've learned far more from him in a short call or email than I could ever pick up in several days of track riding. I know we will have a strong turnout for this!

Dave will be presenting info on the following to start:

Show # 1 on the current generation R1 (20-25 minutes presentation), 30 minutes of Q&A

STREET USE
- information on fork springs
- information on shock spring
- information on setting sag (solo and 2 up)
- chassis balance with rebound damping
- setting compression damping
- information on chain slack

General concepts explained with appropriate demonstrations of setting sag, hydraulics and chain slack.

Q&A will be open to all viewers

Anyone wanting to ask a question of Dave Moss, please post the question in this thread!

Upon feedback and participation, we will immediately discuss further shows with the R1-Forum and R6-Forum.

This post will be updated with details and the url for the Ustream session. This is short notice, but I know we will enjoy some first class discussions with Dave Moss!

The Ustream channel for this will be:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/r1-forum-presents-dave-moss

See less See more
#34 ·
Sub'd, wish I had some questions.

Dave really knows his stuff, he's set the suspension on my 06 R1, 09 R6, and my brother's 636 for me (later returned to his settings) all trackside and all within a matter of minutes (different trackdays). Jim @ Catalyst Reaction did my 09 R1 and I'm sure Dave has taught him well; need to bring it back in since installing my TTX rear shock.

He's also a good riding coach/instructor. Did a 2 day school this past August with Keigwins and got some coaching from Dave the second day. Learned a lot about my riding (good/bad), what needed improvement, technique, and built some confidence too.

#54 ·
I'll get with Dave on that. Thanks for dropping in.

Looks like I still need to work on my forks...I still bottom them out even after service and "proper" oil level...so I'll up oil level and see what that does
I'd like to talk to you on those, at some point. Can I give you a call tomorrow sometime?

#73 ·
Maybe we can get around that. The springs are close. We can adjust some things to make it better.

Thanks so much Dave for answering my questions and being an all around good sport! We are so honored to have you here and posting. I have a bunch of questions so this will be directly beneficial to a bunch of members here I've been working with this past year.

Dan, once again, you're the man! :thumbup

#57 ·
from what i saw (i think around 10 minutes or so) i thought it was pretty beneficial. then again i don't think i've ever seen a dave moss video that i didn't think likewise about :lol

edited to add: i'm definitely interested of the recording to hear what he said regarding jasons questions.

#58 ·
my question was the last one answered, and I'm glad he hit that up (about the rotors) because everyone SWEARS by galfers...

I guess going by what he said it doesn't matter as long as they can dissipate heat properly.

On a side note, why did it seem like some of us ended up with the commercials and others didn't?

#59 ·
people are really getting away from the galfer mind set on here thankfully. for years they were seemingly the "cool" thing to have without much real reason or performance backing behind everyone having them. i never went that route because everyone had them and i wanted something different. if you're going to upgrade your rotors, braketech irons seem to be the way to go currently for an actual performance upgrade.

#60 ·
Thanks to everyone participating. I'm going to search for a way to rid us of the commercials.

I will post a link to tonight's show as soon as possible.

#65 ·
DanQ's link in post #33 still works to watch recording. Thanks DanQ ! Can't wait for the next !

#67 ·
:thumbup

#70 ·
Thanks Dan for bringing Dave in on this forum. I think I have watched every video that Dave has ever produced. I have also e-mailed him personally on a couple of occasions. He has always responded to any of my questions.
I enjoyed the video, but I did not get access to the chat portion. I logged in via facebook could this be why?
I am looking forward to any other videos in the future.
Thanks again Dan.

#71 ·
I logged in via bookface, and it let me in the chat thingy, so maybe that's not it... also, some people had 30 sec commercials outta nowhere, but I didn't. I wonder if it's just a matter of location?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.