Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

front Sprocket installation

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  MMMichael 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

How easy is it to install a front sprocket to '12. I'm thinking of order the 16T from OEM 2003 model.

links to guide or instructions would be great.

#5 · (Edited)
That's what I used and it came off quick. I had trouble with it using hand tools and I've heard others have too.

10 min job if you have an air wrench...if you dont' you are going to need to rig up something to keep the sprocket from spinning...even in gear it will turn under the force it will take to take the nut off.
I used a piece of rebar wrapped in a towel through the spokes to hold the rear wheel in place (pretty ghetto) but still couldn't bust the thing loose with my longest breaker bar. I finally hauled out the compressor and air tools and it came off instantly.

#8 ·
My '12 has a notch in the shaft that the outer edge of nut gets peened into, has no lock plate with tabs. Nut was easy to remove with 1/2 inch breaker bar, bike in gear with foot on rear brake. Torque nut to 66 ft.lbs.

#14 ·
another way would be to use a long blacker bar, jackup the real wheel, place the socket on the nut, the handle of the bar against the ground, start the bike, put in gear and give it a bit of gas... can you see where im going with this.

This is how we remove a crank pully from a car when there is no air tools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.