Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Noyes Notebook: Peace in our time

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Gearheaded 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Seems like this stalemate bs will continue for a couple more years, at the expense of good racing for the fans of the sport, given that Japan's economy is shrinking I really cant see either Suzuki or Kawasaki coming back to the fore at all
Dark times ahead

#4 ·
At least they've realized CRT's are nonsense. IMO, this rules package may not be the optimal thing, but it is a little step in a better direction. I would like to see them call Honda's bluff on some development issues, though. If Honda believes that they have to have development, and that they are the best at it, then prove it. Limit the number of times they (any of the mfr's) can update the bikes during the year with newly developed parts, so it has to count, and (theoretically) they can't as easily just outspend everybody by developing new parts for every damn race. If you introduce a bad part, then you're stuck with it for 6 races, or you revert to the original piece.

As for electronics, Honda got an important win on that issue. However, I think there should be some form of justification for areas they spend $$$ on developing. I get the fuel mapping, wheelie control, traction control, etc...(not that I like all of it, but I get their position) but GPS based tuning for each corner of every track? I fail to see where the development of that has any application to their products. IMO, that......and any other areas of the electronics that are not commercially justifiable should get a fork stuck in them.

Still not a fan of limiting fuel, though, and the increasingly complicated rules for engine allotments, etc. This is becoming managed entertainment, not racing. A direct result of investment groups owing racing controlling bodies, they are managing the business and affecting the core intent of this particular series, not managing the racing.

#5 ·
They wont dump the CRT's though, not at least for a few years, it would be an admission of failure Dorna wouldn't want to wear against the manufacturers
I agree, Ban the gyros, up the fuel limit and bring back Michelin
The main problem with Honda is the Japanese business modus operandi they swing over the MSMA, Yamaha & Ducati having a more European team influence seem to be more open to negotiate

#7 ·
I think Honda was more interested in winning than funneling development into the production process. They've had many electrical options on the hrc bikes, but havnt pushed anything into their production motorcycles. As did Yamaha, until this joke of a model update known as the "12-13" bikes. At least they have t.c.

I don't know who whines more when they don't get their way, stoner or Honda. Maybe that's why they worked so well together

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.