Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Commuting to work or school on your Bike.

7K views 43 replies 35 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 ·
Saw a guy on the Interstate today with the cool Carbon backpack. Got us thinking.

For those who use their bike as primary transportation.... Yes some of us don't have cars.

Do you carry a back pack ? Tank Bag ? or just walk around in our boots and gear all day.

What do you guys use to carry your daily essentials... lunch, sneakers, laptop etc?

#2 ·
Used to commute to school everyday with bike. Always used backpack for security reasons. Had laptop and food/drinks inside along with charger. Helmet would get locked on bike. Jacket would be left on bike.

It is hard to find a comfortable streetbike backpack that supports weight on the back without resting on tail section. Its hard to also find rideable gear in relation to very protective boots that are comfortable to walk around in all day. And the ones that are get torn up by the shifter and end up looking like garbage. Others have protective measures on them and look like garbage too.

#4 ·
Weather permitting, I try to commute as much as I can to work to help save on gas. I carry a small backpack. Same backpack I used in Afghanistan. Worked well there and works well here too. I've been debating buying a tail bag to take the awkwardness/ uncomfortableness off my back while wearing my jacket but I haven't found one I like or can justify spending the money on.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
Finished my 2nd degree on the bike. Rode year round in the cold, rain, as long as there wasn't snow on the ground or below 40 degrees. Used some Sidi boots (non race boots) that were comfortable to walk around in, a motorcycle specific backpack I bought in Europe (cross straps and came with a rain cover). Biggest problem I had was parking the 929 at school. Plenty of campus LEO's but it was other students wanting to sit on it, or gawk. I finally added an alarm with remote transponder and that ended the joy sits and the like.

Getting out at 10:30 or 11pm made me always want to ride the bike. Used radar and turned a 50 mile commute into a 30 minute ride. When you have to be at work at 8am the next day and back at class at 6pm, speed and time are everything.

#9 ·
I do, as long as is not raining or snowing. but i have a tank bag.....lol

#10 ·
Every time I have tried to commute via motorcycle someone tries to run me over on the highway. Since I value my life and motorcycle I decided to avoid commuting via motorcycle.

#14 ·
I have a tank bag for my R1 and I usually bring dress pant and shirt since I do office work. I use a back pack when I ride the honda since the tank is platic. Riding season is over for me. I ride whenever I can during riding season, cheaper on gas especially during traffic jam going home.

#15 ·
Although I need a better backpack, I never really thought about how technical my 80-mile daily commute is :shake

I wear:

Alpinestars Carver 2-Piece
Alpinestars GP Tech Gloves
Alpinestars Supertech R Boots
Alpinestars Back Protector
Alpinestars Chest Protector
Alpinestars Undersuit
Alpinestars Balaclava
Shoei X-Twelve
JanSport b.s. black backpack :shake

Backpack is small but it contains:

Laptop
Shoes
Slacks/Jeans
Shirt/Sweater
Gatorade

I get into my office, lock my door and strip to my underwear... Kinda like John Draper from MadMen :lol I could tell the previous occupant used to keep their golf attire in a suit closet, I just put my gear in there until the days end... No one knows I ride unless you see me coming or going...

Currently in the market for a decent Ogio backpack :dunno

#16 · (Edited)
I commute with a backpack...It is an older Suzuki one. has a chest strap and has a pouch that will strap in a helmet. I actually loosen the shoulder straps enough so it DOES rest on the pass seat. that helps a ton for weight on your back. BTW - my commute is 65 miles round trip, all highway.

Cooler months -
A*'s S-MX 1 boots
Joe Rocket textile windproof pants (forgot the name)
Joe Rocket textile jacket (hemp I think)
Knox bacalava
Suomy Extreme helmet
some no name thick leather gloves with carbon/kevlar knuckle/wrist protection

under 30*s - under armour cold gear top and leggings

Summer -
Same a*'s boots
Joe rocket mesh jacket
Joe Rocket mesh pants
A*'s gloves
Bell Star helmet

I get into my office, strip the jacket, pants and boots and do my business....Joe Rocket actually makes the product big enough to actually call it 'over-wear'...

Edit - I ride until the first salting of the roads...then she goes into hibernation until spring time...I try to wait until the sweepers come out, but it doesn't always happen...

#18 ·
I'm in the same boat. No car just a bike. I got hit by a semi in my car a couple months ago, then got laid off 2 weeks later so I been using the insurance money for bills and bike as main transportation. I have an old North Face pack with chest straps I've been using and it works fine for me if its not over 5lbs of crap. I love riding and my bike but I live in Atlanta and riding on 285 gets me nervous every time. Traffic sucks, and 99% of drivers are idiots here, and its only a matter of time till I get flattened . So I'm about to sell my baby and get a car. Depending where you live, commute, and how drivers are in your area, if you bike is your main transportation especially with winter coming up. You should take into consideration selling it.

#19 ·
I have five bikes and no cars and they are split between two Countries, so am forever on the move between airports and work on bikes and I use a Kriega R25 backpack, right size to carry my bits and bobs about and designed by bike riders for bike riders.

Works well, splits the load round your waist, shoulders and chest.

Not sure if you get them in the States though?

#24 ·
I ride my bike to work when its warm out...50 miles each way. I get to work super early when riding the bike, which is one reason I like to ride it. I use my north face backpack to carry my laptop, lunch and junk.

#32 ·
i use to ride to school and work whenever the weather was clear. but now i wear suits mon-thur so i pretty much only ride to work friday's.

#34 ·
I ride to work just about every day. I wear oakley boots (I know, not the norm, but mine have a rubber piece where my toe meets the shifter), icon or oakley gloves, a bell star helmet, scorpion xdr jacket and I take a backpack to college; oakleys "kitchen sink" bag. It works out pretty good. Actually fairly comfortable, and the back doesn't hit the back seat or anything. I did need to fold up the straps though, as they flap around at anything over like 2 mph and tap the back of my helmet lol...

#36 ·
I ride to class every day, rain or shine. I've got a small pack from cheaper than dirt that I use. Assault pack 3 i think is what its called. Fits all my notebooks, laptop and exercise clothes. I like that its small and compact so I don't feel like it gets in the way even on more spirited rides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.