Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2006 Yamaha R1 50th anniversary won't power wheelie!!

8K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  quick kurt 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've had a 2006 Yamaha R1 (50th anniversary SE) and it runs amazing. Everyone I speak to tells me that I should be able to do power wheelies no problem with the bike. The truth is that I can't (unless I bring the rpm well over 9000)! Not in first, second or third gear. The bike has new NGK CR9EK spark plugs, new air filter, new oil change and the exup is in working order. Everything is stock. I spoke to a few bike mechanics and they told me that for 2006 SE, Yamaha programmed the ECU so that the bike doesn't lift on 1st gear. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with this issue? If you do, I'd be interested to hear your comments. I would also like to know if I could use an 05 ECU on my bike? Would a power commander allow me to reconfiger the 06 ECU?? Help!!!!

#2 ·
Ecu is not programmed for no wheelies in first or any other gear, my '06 starts to wheelie between 50-60mph in first (7000 or higher) Roll into throttle at about 40 or so in first and wait. Bike is geared too tall to wheelie in 2nd or higher without a bump in the road or clutching.

#3 ·
You spoke with retarded mechanics. :shake

Just get on it harder mate, any bike will wheelie you just have to find the sweet spot. Dont even bother below 7 grand.

#8 ·
how much do you weigh? how far are you leaning forward / backward?

If i were you,,,,,, looking at the tach would be the last thing id be doing when trying to wheelie...!!!!

if your rolling 20-30mph... 2nd gear.. take in the clutch rev the bike up to beyond 7k rpm,, ****"twing****"" let the clutch fly,,,,, and so will you...!! prep yourself by making sure your right foot is firmly planted on the brake in case you get the willies,, and grab more throttle than you expect...

if i were you id try this in the hospital parking lot,,that way you wont have far to go..!!

#18 · (Edited)
I am, and posted first, my '06 50th was stock most of its life until I joined the forum (Thanks Guys!) Nothing stopping it from doing 1st gear power wheelies, unless its not running properly. :dunno

#31 ·
Better rider

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.